Thermal Expansion Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
TE moving away from MJ wont kill off BC or related mods which use it's power system, in fact all BC has to do is bring in a set of macerator/pulverisor/furnace machines and it will hold its own. It kinda does have those atm with Railcraft but those are mid-game not beginner-game. I'm surprised BC doesn't have these already or is it too early in the morning and I'm just not thinking straight?

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
TE moving away from MJ wont kill off BC or related mods which use it's power system, in fact all BC has to do is bring in a set of macerator/pulverisor/furnace machines and it will hold its own. It kinda does have those atm with Railcraft but those are mid-game not beginner-game. I'm surprised BC doesn't have these already or is it too early in the morning and I'm just not thinking straight?

No what BC needs is machines that don't leak power. Seriously Thermal Expansion was what made me consider MJ as an actual alternative to EU. It was a bright light of not having to micromanage an engine for every MJ using machine. Of course then I found out that most MJ machines follow the bizarre design decision of 'waste energy when not in use' and had to live with wrenching conduits every time I used a non Thermal Expansion machine. It's kind of insane to work towards glorious 100% automation yet be in-able to make a non-leaky machine.

I know gates are a thing, but must I spend tons of diamonds and energy to get even single condition gates?

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
No what BC needs is machines that don't leak power. Seriously Thermal Expansion was what made me consider MJ as an actual alternative to EU. It was a bright light of not having to micromanage an engine for every MJ using machine. Of course then I found out that most MJ machines follow the bizarre design decision of 'waste energy when not in use' and had to live with wrenching conduits every time I used a non Thermal Expansion machine. It's kind of insane to work towards glorious 100% automation yet be in-able to make a non-leaky machine.

I know gates are a thing, but must I spend tons of diamonds and energy to get even single condition gates?

I like it the way it is. It fits well with the theme of BuildCraft, RailCraft and Forestry family of mods. "Better" alternatives aren't necessarily equally fun for everyone. Just let it go.

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
an unofficial version not sanctioned by PowerCrystals. Resonant Rise isn't using those types of mods.

MFR is open source, you know. If PC doesn't come back (I'm getting more doubtful he will come back every passing day), smarg's fork could even become the accepted one. It's not like MFR was never picked up by anyone else before.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I like it the way it is. It fits well with the theme of BuildCraft, RailCraft and Forestry family of mods. "Better" alternatives aren't necessarily equally fun for everyone. Just let it go.

BuildCraft power has turned it into a "better" alternative to how it was used previously by other mods like MFR and Thermal Expansion. "Better" alternatives aren't necessarily equally fun for everyone. Just let it go. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1380473154][/DOUBLEPOST]
MFR is open source, you know. If PC doesn't come back (I'm getting more doubtful he will come back every passing day), smarg's fork could even become the accepted one. It's not like MFR was never picked up by anyone else before.

Unfortunately Smarg isn't making ANY sense while rapidly shutting down any issues opened up on his GitHub. Everything is 'some other mods fault' or 'someone elses screw up'. He posts only zip files on his Jenkins for MFR, then blames people being stupid for downloading that zip and not the JAR in order to run MFR.

Smarg's "fork" of MFR isn't getting anywhere until he gets a PR Firm to start dealing with his users and testers for him.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
More like more reason for Power Converters to axe the Steam converters so it can finally be in a pack by default.

What does that have to do with it being in a pack by default? Please don't say anything like overpowered or too-easy, at least not when you've got stuff like mystcraft, dartcraft, and MFR in packs by default.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019

Because we don't have enough mods that offer ore processing. Maybe BC should also add its own sickle/scythe for harvesting leaves ;).

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
There is, it is in beta though and there are problems (Forestry/BC not using the updated IC2 API so electrical engines crash the client 100% of the time for example)

You do know Forestry has a beta build up on their forums that fixes the engine crashing, right?

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Small update for everyone - if the BuildCraft guys are willing to change two small keywords for me, I can remain fully compatible, and it's a compromise I am willing to make. So we'll see. :)

EDIT: While *also* supporting Redstone Flux. It's literally a two keyword change and it would be awesome.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
What does that have to do with it being in a pack by default? Please don't say anything like overpowered or too-easy, at least not when you've got stuff like mystcraft, dartcraft, and MFR in packs by default.
Steam Converters completely overshadow all other conversion methods like steam engines and turbines. That is, to my knowledge, the part of Power Converters that made it an optional mod.

Not that I completely agree with the logic, but I think that's why.

Goggles998

Jul 29, 2019
Small update for everyone - if the BuildCraft guys are willing to change two small keywords for me, I can remain fully compatible, and it's a compromise I am willing to make. So we'll see. :)

EDIT: While *also* supporting Redstone Flux. It's literally a two keyword change and it would be awesome.

Is the 1.6.x update going well Lemming?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019

Is there a 1.6 CofhLib available for dl? Or is it on the git to compile for use with the API?

l3lackCalamity

Jul 29, 2019

No. MJ is not trying to be EU. Buildcraft's mods and Industrial craft have traditionally complemented each other because they are different. Thermal Expansion complemented build-craft because it provided more methods of MJ transfer, a redstone cell buffer, and various MJ machines.

EU is Electrical Energy ( energy via electron flow) where as MJ can be represent more along the lines of Kinetic (imagine a piston) having been converted or transferred via chemical (fuel).

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
BuildCraft power has turned it into a "better" alternative to how it was used previously by other mods like MFR and Thermal Expansion. "Better" alternatives aren't necessarily equally fun for everyone. Just let it go.

The BuildCraft power distribution system has been improved a lot. The old system was bad on many levels. Usable in small scale systems, but any attempt at making a power station would fail.

The design behind the power has't changed though. There are still loss for example. Which is something a lot of players hate. My primary agenda for BuildCraft would be to keep it different. Many players want it too look more like an electricity kind of power. Even the Thermal Expansion variant will be something in between, with storage and the like.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately, after further discussion and inspection, the new MJ system is so tightly coupled to itself that the two keyword change doesn't quite work - we'd need accessors and interfaces, which is not the goal. Regrettably, it's trivial to send MJ, but Tile Entity memory footprint is more than quadrupled in order to receive it, something I really don't want to do.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Ultimately, what makes a power system ISN'T the power itself. It's the machines and generators that go with it. Buildcraft is very, very different than IC2 because it simply has different functions than IC2 does and different ways of getting power (better ones IMO).

From what I've seen there's no real reason for the constant drain aside from that just being how Covert and Sengir want BC power to be. Which is fine, but they're going to have to accept that it's a pretty unpopular view.[DOUBLEPOST=1380489624][/DOUBLEPOST]
Unfortunately, after further discussion and inspection, the new MJ system is so tightly coupled to itself that the two keyword change doesn't quite work - we'd need accessors and interfaces, which is not the goal. Regrettably, it's trivial to send MJ, but Tile Entity memory footprint is more than quadrupled in order to receive it, something I really don't want to do.
Steam integration is still possible, right? That'd be the closet thing to full BC integration.

Status
Not open for further replies.