Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah zilverwolf, that is my concern with this method as well. I like a compact base, and setting up a line of redstone to act as a power meter doesn't really fit.
But it sounds like KL is going to remove the penalty for turning off your dynamos, so the point will eventually be moot.

Well not *entirely*. The energy in the buffer doesn't need to go away, but any partial fuel energy/steam will in fact dissipate. As it stands, there's little incentive to actively turn them off, since the penalty is so steep.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Well not *entirely*. The energy in the buffer doesn't need to go away, but any partial fuel energy/steam will in fact dissipate. As it stands, there's little incentive to actively turn them off, since the penalty is so steep.
That should only be an issue if there's nowhere for that energy to go, right? If you turn off your dynamos before they start to backlog energy there isn't really any penalty for shutting them down (at least, that seems to be my experience, but I have a very small setup)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Honestly, without the ability to make a tree farm without golem research from Thaumcraft (don't care for RotaryCraft), I found it easier to abandon the Dynamos for Engineer's Toolbox Hydroelectric Generators. They're more expensive, but I don't have to worry about fuel. Of course, I still have the Dynamos set up for emergency power when I need more juice, such as for processing.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
so wait when did the energy cells ever worked with the comparator... last time I remembered from DW20's forgecraft runs was about KL thinking about that mechanic... hmmm

3.0.0.2 is when it was added I think.[DOUBLEPOST=1389721825][/DOUBLEPOST]
Now I just have to figure how to do it without an 8-block long line of redstone in Horizons. :) You'd think projectRed or enderIO would have some kind of block to work with redstone signal strengths, but I haven't figured out what they are.

Don't worry... it can be done... I just took the long route for visual purposes and cause its more fun if I don't tell everything :p

Last edited:

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I use computercraft to generate a signal strength of any value so I can cut out on the redstone but I understand that is not in horizons.
There is probably a better way but here I go
When I was tinkering around with Factorization (Leyden jars and battery boxes also have comparator support) I was able to do it with just 2 comparators and one redstone and lever. It reliably stopped the turbine when the jar was at ~98%. If energy cells scale the same way then that is good

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I was just thinking (after doing some reading on minecraftwiki.net), that I might be able to do it with a furnace and two comparators.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if it would be possible to automate this somehow using deployers, such that when your energy cell reaches a certain percentage a new one is crafted, sent to the deployer, and placed down so it can accept the incoming RF. Then, when that one reaches a certain percentage... :p

I decided to give this a try, no AE style and got it to work!

bgv9UnH.png

The front with machines and there inputs. Inputs take exactly the required materials from the barrels.

oKZ7M1z.png

The redstone, done with project red. Utilizing pulseformers and state cells.

A video of the mechanism working, hopper catches the energy cell and puts it in the chest.

Ive been playing around with this comparator thing for abit the past few days and I realy miss a project red gate that can generate signal strength and a latch that can switch depending on signal strength. Made a gate request so heres hoping it gets accepted *crosses fingers*

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Ive been playing around with this comparator thing for abit the past few days and I realy miss a project red gate that can generate signal strength and a latch that can switch depending on signal strength. Made a gate request so heres hoping it gets accepted *crosses fingers*

Couldn't that be achieved with a computer?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Why make it simple and code it out when you can make it awesome and use logic gates to perform the task?
Besides, it's easier to understand - it's a phsycal flowchart, literally.
I prefer seeing code in action rather than a physical representation :p

JohnTzimisces

Jul 29, 2019
The comparator thing is good to know, thanks for the tip jaded. I fool around with redstone on a vanilla server but I've never really touched comparators...

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
This can actually be shrunk down further if you have a PRC. You can have the signal strength input as an integer, compare it to a constant, then have an IF/THEN to output signal if signal strength is greater than constant. All in one block.
Sorry, but what's a PRC?