Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

zacseow

Jul 29, 2019
Just a somewhat off topic question King Lemming, are we allowed to use TE3 in creation of a FTB private server modpack?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
They are, and they do. Unless you're on an older version of the beta.

The output suggests that they do not, but when you actually look at the item, it has its charge.

Ah, that would explain it. I didn't actually craft it, because the output item looked empty and I didn't want to lose my energy, but if I had crafted it it would have retained its charge. I just tested this and it works. Thanks for the explanation!

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Just a somewhat off topic question King Lemming, are we allowed to use TE3 in creation of a FTB private server modpack?
http://www.teamcofh.com/index.php?page=license

Regarding Modpacks said:
This is the Internet. Even if you don't like us (we still like you, really) for some reason, we can't (and wouldn't) stop you and maintain any semblance of a moral high ground, so have fun. Permission granted. This was made to be played, after all.

A courtesy notification is definitely appreciated, as well as a link to the wiki. As a consideration to the community, I would request that you make all possible efforts in order to comply with the respective licenses and terms of all other mods in your pack.

If anything here is not acceptable to you (not sure what), please feel free to contact us and we can work something out.

Nappa231

Jul 29, 2019
I did notice that in 2x chests the item ducts either only pull from the top 3 rows or bottom 3 rows. It will never completely empty a chest even when not stuffed and having room in the inventory the items are supposed to be going to ie: another chest. Is there any way to fix this problem on my end?

edit: It seems to work fine as long as i use only a single chest.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I did notice that in 2x chests the item ducts either only pull from the top 3 rows or bottom 3 rows. It will never completely empty a chest even when not stuffed and having room in the inventory the items are supposed to be going to ie: another chest. Is there any way to fix this problem on my end?

edit: It seems to work fine as long as i use only a single chest.

Yes. Use an IronChest or some other properly coded method of storage. Double chests are a horrible code kludge and I refuse to support them in any way. TE has always worked this way, sorry.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
EnderIO Energy Conduit pipes (I used ender version) won't work with the new Tesseracts from Thermal Expansion it seems. Not sure about the other pipes. It visually connects to it, however, I had to put 1 block of redstone energy conduit (from TE) then the EnderIO pipe connected to that and works correctly. Not sure if the bug is on enderIO or TE side.

Last edited:

Geo Terra

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. Use an IronChest or some other properly coded method of storage. Double chests are a horrible code kludge and I refuse to support them in any way. TE has always worked this way, sorry.

Yeah, I've seen the vanilla chest code and it's a mess. What you're looking at in the case of a double chest, as of the last time I actually bothered to peer through MC's source, is actually two individual chests manifesting their data in a single GUI and merging their textures. If I understand how TE3's Item Conduits work (KL, is there a public repo for TE3 by any chance?) is that they work off of the assumption that any stored items would be stored in a single block's worth of space, and so, because the vanilla double chests are just two chests "working" together, the conduit only pulls from the chest side it's attached to. If the conduit is on the left side of the double chest, player looking at the side with the lock, it will only pull from the rows in the combined GUI that "belong" to that chest, the same holds true for conduits on the right. I believe the top three rows "belong" to the left chest, and the last three to the right one. Is this about right Lemming?

To be honest, I don't mind this "feature" at all, especially since IronChests have become a fundamental staple in the personalized packs I put together for myself. But, in a literal sense, I see it like this: all items in a chest "settle" to the bottom and when you connect a conduit to one side, makes a lot of sense from the bottom, it "cuts" a hole in the chest and causes all items on that side of the chest to "fall" into it leaving the items that are stuck on the other side. If you bring up CB's Translocators, all I will say is, "Magic" because of the Ender Pearls in the recipe.

EnderIO Energy Conduit pipes (I used ender version) won't work with the new Tesseracts from Thermal Expansion it seems. Not sure about the other pipes. It visually connects to it, however, I had to put 1 block of redstone energy conduit (from TE) then the EnderIO pipe connected to that and works correctly. Not sure if the bug is on enderIO or TE side.

That could be a problem on both sides. KL will probably weigh in on that soon though. In the mean time, if you haven't already, you may want to see if you can talk to CrazyPants and get his view.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019

I'll look into this, but I kind of have doubts it's on my end. Mek's cable doesn't connect either, but that's for a known reason, and is due to how Mek's cable works.

Funny thing is, if you have Tesseracts, you do have Redstone Energy Conduits, soo.... >.>

Yeah, I've seen the vanilla chest code and it's a mess. What you're looking at in the case of a double chest, as of the last time I actually bothered to peer through MC's source, is actually two individual chests manifesting their data in a single GUI and merging their textures. If I understand how TE3's Item Conduits work (KL, is there a public repo for TE3 by any chance?) is that they work off of the assumption that any stored items would be stored in a single block's worth of space, and so, because the vanilla double chests are just two chests "working" together, the conduit only pulls from the chest side it's attached to. If the conduit is on the left side of the double chest, player looking at the side with the lock, it will only pull from the rows in the combined GUI that "belong" to that chest, the same holds true for conduits on the right. I believe the top three rows "belong" to the left chest, and the last three to the right one. Is this about right Lemming?

To be honest, I don't mind this "feature" at all, especially since IronChests have become a fundamental staple in the personalized packs I put together for myself. But, in a literal sense, I see it like this: all items in a chest "settle" to the bottom and when you connect a conduit to one side, makes a lot of sense from the bottom, it "cuts" a hole in the chest and causes all items on that side of the chest to "fall" into it leaving the items that are stuck on the other side. If you bring up CB's Translocators, all I will say is, "Magic" because of the Ender Pearls in the recipe.

There is no public repo for TE3, sorry. And you're sort of right - what we expect is that when we interact with an IInventory, we don't have to special case it. That doesn't mean a single block, it means that the underlying Tile Entity isn't stupid. Double chest code basically requires looking around the block for another chest and gluing the inventories together, which is pretty bad.

A proper double chest implementation would keep a single inventory object and both chest objects would refer to the same shared object, like any sane multiblock.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Lemming, seems to only happen when attempting to send power through them via enderIO cables. It receives power fine. I tested the other EnderIO cables and they all seem to be working.

Also a suggestion: Allow us to select more than 1 frequency on Tesseracts while also allowing us to adjust what is being sent/received to each frequency. This way I could say accept power from Freq 1, send fluids to Freq 2, and send/accept items from Freq 3. In a perfect world, you could leave everything on the same frequency, but after you start getting complex setups things start sending/receiving things to places they aren't suppose too. Even with the new ability for them to do everything, I still find cases where I need 2-3 tesseracts in the same spot because of this.

Last edited:

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Also a suggestion: Allow us to select more than 1 frequency on Tesseracts while also allowing us to adjust what is being sent/received to each frequency. This way I could say accept power from Freq 1, send fluids to Freq 2, and send/accept items from Freq 3. In a perfect world, you could leave everything on the same frequency, but after you start getting complex setups things start sending/receiving things to places they aren't suppose too. Even with the new ability for them to do everything, I still find cases where I need 2-3 tesseracts in the same spot because of this.

Sorry, that isn't happening. The concept behind them is that they're unified points in spacetime, not openings to various points. So when you tune the frequency, you're tuning the "where," but it's still just a single point.

You've got 1000 frequencies available - look into using more of them. ;) We may even up it to 10k. Under the hood, though, they're already incredibly complicated blocks, and we'd have to jack the cost like crazy to make them true 3-in-1s.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know if Fermenters are suppose to accept Creosote Oil instead of Water? Some people claim it does, but it doesn't appear to work.

Sorry, that isn't happening. The concept behind them is that they're unified points in spacetime, not openings to various points. So when you tune the frequency, you're tuning the "where," but it's still just a single point.

You've got 1000 frequencies available - look into using more of them. ;) We may even up it to 10k. Under the hood, though, they're already incredibly complicated blocks, and we'd have to jack the cost like crazy to make them true 3-in-1s.

Totally understandable. Thanks again for the mod, with this update it's definitely my new favorite mod.

P.S. I still think Saplings > Biomass were nerfed slightly too much :p, just a slight increase would allow the largest forestry farm to power a 36HP liquid boiler. Maybe I need to use better trees than Oak...

Last edited:

Deathshroud09

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know if Fermenters are suppose to accept Creosote Oil instead of Water? Some people claim it does, but it doesn't appear to work.

Totally understandable. Thanks again for the mod, with this update it's definitely my new favorite mod.

P.S. I still think Saplings > Biomass were nerfed slightly too much :p, just a slight increase would allow the largest forestry farm to power a 36HP liquid boiler. Maybe I need to use better trees than Oak...
You may want to divert your issue to the buildcraft/forestry/railcraft devs, KL isn't part of that particular nerf as far as i know.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Despite talking to the wrong dev :p

Creosote works in place of seed oil if you have Plugins for Forestry installed.

nilness

Jul 29, 2019
What crafting table did you upgrade them on the 2nd time? Vanilla Crafting and Machinist's Workbench are going to work. I can't make promises for any other mod. (I know Forestry's doesn't work, for example - that's on their end.)
Just tried this using TE 3 beta 7a and the vanilla crafting table lost all my items when upgrading them. Confirmed Machinist's Workbench preserves them. Repeated several times to be sure. Just checked again, and strongbox -> hardened, hardened -> reinforced both lose items when upgrading on vanilla crafting table. Unless something's overriding the vanilla bench...

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
A proper double chest implementation would keep a single inventory object and both chest objects would refer to the same shared object, like any sane multiblock.

Go ahead keep criticizing the code. Maybe Mojang will decide to re-wright the whole thing. :D
Though If you cause mod authers to have to do another massive re-wright. You might want to sleep with one eye open. :D

Though getting the major mod authors together and writing up a list of suggested changes to minecraft code might be a good idea. Something separate from the countless suggestions that random players make would be a very good idea.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Just tried this using TE 3 beta 7a and the vanilla crafting table lost all my items when upgrading them. Confirmed Machinist's Workbench preserves them. Repeated several times to be sure. Just checked again, and strongbox -> hardened, hardened -> reinforced both lose items when upgrading on vanilla crafting table. Unless something's overriding the vanilla bench...

Entirely possible. Also, shift + click will apparently screw things up too. Another vanilla idiosyncracy. Lovely.

Go ahead keep criticizing the code. Maybe Mojang will decide to re-wright the whole thing. :D
Though If you cause mod authers to have to do another massive re-wright. You might want to sleep with one eye open. :D

Though getting the major mod authors together and writing up a list of suggested changes to minecraft code might be a good idea. Something separate from the countless suggestions that random players make would be a very good idea.

Frankly, we need a proper IInventoryHandler.

Right now, to insert something into an inventory is an exercise in insanity. Fluid and energy, you hand something to the tile, it hands you something back - transaction over.

With inventories? You have to ask for the slots visible from a side. You then iterate through each slot and compare what is in the slot to what you want to insert. You then check against max stack size AND maximum inventory size, and if the stack is valid for the slot in question.

What a nightmare.