The Update to 1.8

Ritt

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly 1.7 (and this will very likely apply to 1.8) is just a very large cutoff for people with toasters. Sorry if this sounds rude, but the fact is that at this point modded Minecraft should be considered, in terms of performance, as taxing as a triple-A title and thus you really shouldn't expect a toaster to run it. I get about as good performance on 1.7 modded MC at max settings (except 9 chunk render distance) as I do running StarCraft II at max settings, usually WORSE, and my modpack in 1.7 is not exactly huge nor is the world overly developed.

Do we have some real world examples of where the "toaster cutoff" lies for 1.7? I'm playing on a 4570 at 3.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and a GTX 750ti, and modded 1.7 is quite literally unplayable without resort to Fastcraft. FPS is not really an issue in 1.7 or 1.6, it's the chunk generation and chunk loading in 1.7 of course that can be a showstopper. I realize I'm not on the bleeding edge, hardware-wise, but even a modest Haswell quad-core should put a Minecraft rig beyond the "toaster" category, shouldn't it?

Reactions: AlCapella

JusticeOF666

Jul 29, 2019
Do we have some real world examples of where the "toaster cutoff" lies for 1.7? I'm playing on a 4570 at 3.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and a GTX 750ti, and modded 1.7 is quite literally unplayable without resort to Fastcraft. FPS is not really an issue in 1.7 or 1.6, it's the chunk generation and chunk loading in 1.7 of course that can be a showstopper. I realize I'm not on the bleeding edge, hardware-wise, but even a modest Haswell quad-core should put a Minecraft rig beyond the "toaster" category, shouldn't it?
Same problem on servers? Easy to test.

Ritt

Jul 29, 2019
Same problem on servers? Easy to test.

I put an instance of Unstable running all by itself on a Core i5 server and logged in from the LAN with my desktop. It's the same situation, it's that client chunk problem that many people seem to experience. Adding Fastcraft (mostly) fixes it for now.

Edit: just checked the server logs and the server thread gets behind too. It will also need Fastcraft.

JusticeOF666

Jul 29, 2019
I put an instance of Unstable running all by itself on a Core i5 server and logged in from the LAN with my desktop. It's the same situation, it's that client chunk problem that many people seem to experience. Adding Fastcraft (mostly) fixes it for now.

Edit: just checked the server logs and the server thread gets behind too. It will also need Fastcraft.
The server loads the chunks , you should only need fastcraft on the server ;)
For what I can understand it is indeed terrain generation and chunk loading , which did NOT improve in 1.8 significantly if at all.
Minecraft is odd to run , requires resources inconsistent and does not balance load.

Pre-generating terrain can help allot , as it reduces the amount of stuff that has to be processed while exploring.

~Justice

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
All I care about for updating from 1.7.2. to 1.8. is world transformability, if I cannot transform my world from 1.7 to 1.8 I will be in 1.7 for a long time. This should be doable though because 1.8 is primarily performance and new blocks/items/mobs.

Reactions: JusticeOF666

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think modded MC is playable for ANYONE without Fastcraft, so yeah your comp isn't exactly a toaster. I had the same issues myself. I'm talking about the FPS complaints I've seen where people who are already on lowest settings in 1.6 are finding 1.7 basically unplayable due to FPS issues (and are probably not going to be pleased with 1.8 in that regard either).

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
I don't think modded MC is playable for ANYONE without Fastcraft, so yeah your comp isn't exactly a toaster. I had the same issues myself. I'm talking about the FPS complaints I've seen where people who are already on lowest settings in 1.6 are finding 1.7 basically unplayable due to FPS issues (and are probably not going to be pleased with 1.8 in that regard either).
:/ mine is playable, and fastcraft reduces my fps by a lot.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
:/ mine is playable, and fastcraft reduces my fps by a lot.
That's odd. Maybe it's because I have both BoP and Natura that I really NEED Fastcraft. Outside of a bit of lag due to some weird thing with Botania power generation, I sit at 60 FPS flat all the time.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
That's odd. Maybe it's because I have both BoP and Natura that I really NEED Fastcraft. Outside of a bit of lag due to some weird thing with Botania power generation, I sit at 60 FPS flat all the time.
BOP is actually worse than ATG for me in 1.7

Ritt

Jul 29, 2019
The server loads the chunks , you should only need fastcraft on the server ;)
For what I can understand it is indeed terrain generation and chunk loading , which did NOT improve in 1.8 significantly if at all.
Minecraft is odd to run , requires resources inconsistent and does not balance load.

Pre-generating terrain can help allot , as it reduces the amount of stuff that has to be processed while exploring.

~Justice

Of course, but the thing I mention is this: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-44801

Supposed to have been fixed in 1.8, heh. :)

Reactions: JusticeOF666

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
All I care about for updating from 1.7.2. to 1.8. is world transformability, if I cannot transform my world from 1.7 to 1.8 I will be in 1.7 for a long time. This should be doable though because 1.8 is primarily performance and new blocks/items/mobs.

Vanilla overworlds are incredibly easy to upgrade from version to version. If you didn't mind the chunkwalls from 1.2's jungle being added, or if you started at that time, then you are completely fine all the way to the present. Heck, Etho even changed his world to amplified at one point, and put it on camera, just to see the new terrain. Yes, there is a boundary line where things change, but everything still works.

Biome adding mods, however ... Basically, any added biomes will be messed up, as of 1.7's increased biome usage. But if you were good with 1.7, I think you'll be fine with 1.8.

The only block that I can think of that really changed was the trapped chest becoming stained clay. And "nobody still uses that chest, right?".

Densely

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla overworlds are incredibly easy to upgrade from version to version. If you didn't mind the chunkwalls from 1.2's jungle being added, or if you started at that time, then you are completely fine all the way to the present. Heck, Etho even changed his world to amplified at one point, and put it on camera, just to see the new terrain. Yes, there is a boundary line where things change, but everything still works.

Biome adding mods, however ... Basically, any added biomes will be messed up, as of 1.7's increased biome usage. But if you were good with 1.7, I think you'll be fine with 1.8.

The only block that I can think of that really changed was the trapped chest becoming stained clay. And "nobody still uses that chest, right?".
:p actually, i use it quite a bit in traps. it is used so little, it is hilarious when they post in the chat after dying. mostly "GLITCH!"

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019

I am still sore with that "toaster" remark. It was a throwaway remark by the OP, but without the kind of qualification and quantification and caveat that he's finally offering now (including his most recent reply above). I for one, am still upset with that remark. The "I am upset" moment will pass eventually!

Seriously, for a 8-bit textured, weird player and world physics modelled game with continued poor rendering (Occlusion culling? What occlusion culling? I mean, seriously?), it's the game that needs to seriously pull its socks up and seriously do something about it, not the "toaster" owners. Haarrumph! And, no "why so serious?" memes please!

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Too many items has been updated as well :)
skeptical-gif-2.gif

It is a good mod, though. But it's not really used anymore.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I am still sore with that "toaster" remark. It was a throwaway remark by the OP, but without the kind of qualification and quantification and caveat that he's finally offering now (including his most recent reply above). I for one, am still upset with that remark. The "I am upset" moment will pass eventually!

Seriously, for a 8-bit textured, weird player and world physics modelled game with continued poor rendering (Occlusion culling? What occlusion culling? I mean, seriously?), it's the game that needs to seriously pull its socks up and seriously do something about it, not the "toaster" owners. Haarrumph! And, no "why so serious?" memes please!
u wot m8

I have a really good computer. I never said anything about it being a toaster. I just said it crashes a lot.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone from the mojang team ever visit these forums at all? Don't they ever see the poor performance rants on reddit in the FTB subreddits?
Doing so would require more than a passing interest in mods by Mojang. I believe they've made it clear (repeatedly) that they have zero concern for our struggle.