Request Suggest mods for creation here

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
A mod that makes the minimap be a craftable item.

Bonus for varying levels of quality -- ranging from "only sense near you" (underground mode), to "what you can see", to "Detect nearby biomes" (think Twilight Forest's magic map, which reports biomes nearby before those chunks are generated)

perhaps a special bauble slot in which you can place a map item into that'll mark down all the areas you explore.
you could be able to right click this map item and it'll show you a map of the world in fullscreen which you can go through

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
perhaps a special bauble slot in which you can place a map item into that'll mark down all the areas you explore.
you could be able to right click this map item and it'll show you a map of the world in fullscreen which you can go through
Actually, I wouldn't have a whole new bauble slot for that.. but an amulet (Crown of Sight? Amulet of Detection?) that lets you detect certain mobs or blocks nearby, with a targeting upgrade to let you select which ones (maybe by putting an item in an inventory slot in the amulet; for ores, you'd need a block of that ore, so you'd have to silk touch diamond ore to find more diamond). The amulet would integrate with a map item (craft it with a vanilla map to make the item, recipe returns the amulet). The mini-map works if the map is in your inventory, and you can right-click the map item while viewing inventory to go to a large map (with option buttons). The map would update if either the map or the amulet is on your player, but again, the mini-map wouldn't work unless you were carrying the map item.

You could accomplish this by having the mini-map only display on the magic map's surface, rather than in the player's HUD. While holding the map item, you could right-click it in world to have the mini-map change modes, like show caves, show mobs, show materials. To increase the map's ability to show things, you'd have to craft it with certain items (obsidian to show caves, nether wart to show mobs, diamond to show ores/materials).

Then add the ability to put the magic map into item frames (maybe even make it a multiblock!) so that it would show the user's location on a map of the local area (surface only). Right-click (rotate the map in the frame) to show larger/smaller area. No cave view or special things, but the whole thing would be centered on the item frame's location (including dimension) and show the surface map that player has recorded so far, limited by displayed area and size of item frame multiblock.

Heck, that's a whole mod by itself, isn't it? Add a magic atlas to hold maps of different dimensions or from different players, and then waypoints (of course), then finally add the ability to copy maps made by other players. And that'll do, pig.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
A mod for NEI that trims what it shows.

Specifically: I want to see _ONE_ stair block. From that one, I can expand it to see all the types of stairs.

In other words, instead of seeing 100+ pages of everything, I'm seeing a 10 page summary. If I look at stairs, I see the 8 pages of stairs, and only those 8 pages.

Now, do that for all the blocks that come in 9 or 16 different colors, or 32 various preset configs, or ...

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
A mod for NEI that trims what it shows.

Specifically: I want to see _ONE_ stair block. From that one, I can expand it to see all the types of stairs.

In other words, instead of seeing 100+ pages of everything, I'm seeing a 10 page summary. If I look at stairs, I see the 8 pages of stairs, and only those 8 pages.

Now, do that for all the blocks that come in 9 or 16 different colors, or 32 various preset configs, or ...
InPURECore can do some of this (it trims NEI's display list -- don't use it on the Bagginses mod though or it'll hide everything but the void bag!) but it doesn't do the "show everything when I search for it" bit, which I'd love. I think this is the sort of functionality which should be directly part of NEI anyway, but what do I know?

BinaryMan

Jul 29, 2019
I had an idea I call "Recursive Deconstruction". I thought about it when I started using Minechem. There are two ideas really: the first is to "uncraft" an object into its components, the second is for Minechem to map an item to its constituent parts all the way to the bottom so that it could balance the elements it decomposes to properly.

The problem comes from the fact that multiple recipes exist for the same item, which can have different material values. OreDict is fine for say two variants of copper ingots, but when the materials are very different then you cannot tell from what something was made. It would be interesting if there was a mod that was able to tackle that problem as I think it might lead to some interesting mod options. For example, when oak wood or magical wood might work in a recipe, it would decompose to regular wood. I don't think there is a way to tack on metadata to a crafted object to tell you what it was made from precisely, but that would also be interesting as it would allow for precise decomposition.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
I had an idea I call "Recursive Deconstruction". I thought about it when I started using Minechem. There are two ideas really: the first is to "uncraft" an object into its components, the second is for Minechem to map an item to its constituent parts all the way to the bottom so that it could balance the elements it decomposes to properly.

The problem comes from the fact that multiple recipes exist for the same item, which can have different material values. OreDict is fine for say two variants of copper ingots, but when the materials are very different then you cannot tell from what something was made. It would be interesting if there was a mod that was able to tackle that problem as I think it might lead to some interesting mod options. For example, when oak wood or magical wood might work in a recipe, it would decompose to regular wood. I don't think there is a way to tack on metadata to a crafted object to tell you what it was made from precisely, but that would also be interesting as it would allow for precise decomposition.
Pahimar ran into this problem (multiple recipes) making the new EE3, which is why it took so long to put together. Maybe folks could check out his solution?

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019

The metadata (not actual metadata bough) might actually be possible...catch the crafting event, then you would add the things it was crafted from as NBT data...

Reactions: Flabort

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
I was just hoping there was an easier way, I often loose the eyes even with flight and a magnet :( Don't know what happens to them... oh well. You'd think a mod would add like an ender compass, a piece of end stone surrounded by 4 eyes of ender... that would be spiffy yup yup

Reactions: Psychicash

BinaryMan

Jul 29, 2019
The metadata (not actual metadata bough) might actually be possible...catch the crafting event, then you would add the things it was crafted from as NBT data...

Is it possible to add new NBT data on the crafted object that has nothing to do with that object's original mod? You would only need the recipe identifier so you can check what the components were, in the case of grid-crafted items. I'm not sure for machine recipes and such. I'm assuming that it's possible for example items have a Fuel value for various machines (like coal), that must have been added somewhere.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to add new NBT data on the crafted object that has nothing to do with that object's original mod? You would only need the recipe identifier so you can check what the components were, in the case of grid-crafted items. I'm not sure for machine recipes and such. I'm assuming that it's possible for example items have a Fuel value for various machines (like coal), that must have been added somewhere.
Yes, that is possible. NBT tags on items can be pretty much arbitrary. However, "foreign" NBT tags are likely to get lost somewhere when the item is changed or processed or something.

Custom fuel values are normally done in a different way that has nothing to do with that.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla mechanic: eyes of ender break now and then when thrown. You sometimes need a lot of them to find a stronghold.
Mod mechanic: surround a compass with eyes of ender. You now have a stronghold compass. It points the direction an eye of ender would fly, and wobbles wider and wider as you get near a stronghold until it's spinning around directionless.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Vanilla mechanic: eyes of ender break now and then when thrown. You sometimes need a lot of them to find a stronghold.
Mod mechanic: surround a compass with eyes of ender. You now have a stronghold compass. It points the direction an eye of ender would fly, and wobbles wider and wider as you get near a stronghold until it's spinning around directionless.
Or, better yet, a 3D compass like the Thaumcraft 3 Thaumometer that points straight to the portal room of the nearest stronghold.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
A dedicated scaffolding mod. One that has a similar mechanic to IC2 ones but with a hell of a lot more features and tiers. It could add a sort of hanging absail line or one of those hanging cages window cleaners use. Some early game mobility for those builders without jetpacks, or pack makers who hate their players enough to leave them out.

Reactions: 1SDAN and the_j485

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Old idea that I'll rehash.

Salt water in ocean biomes to replace water blocks. When collected (bucket/pumps) is salt water (so not usable in recipes that use normal water). Can't be used for hydrating land.

Optional, can be processed into water and salt

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019

Salt water in ocean biomes to replace water blocks. When collected (bucket/pumps) is salt water (so not usable in recipes that use normal water). Can't be used for hydrating land.

Also, salt water converts nearby fresh water to salt water

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019

Or, all water is salt, and can't be used for anything other than boiling into water and salt.
*brainwave*

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Uh, you get brackish water when fresh and salt combine. That is usually found in wetlands like swamps.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
A way to execute commands via an item.

The idea: A wand that, when activated (right-clicked), executes a command, just like a command block, or like a command being typed by the user. But this would work even if cheats are turned off.

Example: //drain 20 -- remove all liquid blocks in a range of 20 blocks (world edit from forge essentials). This could be the "wand of departing sea" or something.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
A way to execute commands via an item.

The idea: A wand that, when activated (right-clicked), executes a command, just like a command block, or like a command being typed by the user. But this would work even if cheats are turned off.

Example: //drain 20 -- remove all liquid blocks in a range of 20 blocks (world edit from forge essentials). This could be the "wand of departing sea" or something.
You could fake that, to some extent, with WRCBE and a command block: The "wand" is a wireless remote tuned to a frequency on which there is a wireless receiver attached to a command block with the given command. However, you wouldn't be able to reliably have it do something on or relative to the player with the remote- since @p targets the nearest player to the command block, if there's someone closer to it than the remote-holder, they'll get the effect.

As for the concern about players hacking this system by using another remote tuned to the same frequency, WRCBE provides a solution as well. One of the items (Personal Sniffer or something) allows a player to lock down channels, so only they or a server op can set transmitters (or remotes) to them.

Hmm... I know the latest versions of ComputerCraft feature creative-only Command Computers that can execute commands like a command block. Do they come in a tablet form, does anyone know? And more importantly, can a non-OP, non-Creative player do anything at all with a pre-programmed Command Pocket Computer?