Request Suggest mods for creation here

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
I have another idea, one that seems like it should already exist, but I haven't heard anything about. It's not so much a mod as it is a way to make creating mods easier. Is there an IDE for Minecraft modding (or a program like the "creation kit" that Bethesda has) or a plugin for an existing IDE? If not it might be helpful for people who want to mod, and it might make modding more accessible if such a thing were to exist. Like the LoL mod I suggested above it would take a lot of work and probably coding wizardry. I have neither the skill nor experience to do such a thing, but I thought it might be interesting to suggest nonetheless. I know they had a "create your own mod" kind of thing, but from what I remember it didn't allow for much in the way of creating dimensions or new biomes or adding new mechanics like what Thaumcraft or Blood Magic does. If such a utility exists I'd like to know so that I can check it out. I've always wanted to get into modding myself but the sheer amount of stuff for a complete beginner to learn is massive. I think having access to a tool that allows basic infrastructure to be set up and maybe allow for importing well known mods for the purpose of creating add-ons would be kinda cool and useful.
That's rather hopeless idea. One has to have an intermediate experience in Java programming to make decent mods, which is gained by making at least one qualitative application. We have Forge + custom Gradle plugin bundle, so it also necessary to know at least basic Gradle stuff.
Making a dedicated minecraft modding IDE would be an 'overkill', IMO, and a waste of effort.
We have main IDEs to choose - Eclipse and Intellij. I prefer Intellij for its stability and convenience.
I must admit my 'sin' - I started modding without having any programming experience at all, and I had to invest a lot of time - months - in learning Java and, later, Gradle. Naturally, I have made lots of mistakes. But when I actually tried making a serious Java application, it boosted my skills and helped in developing minecraft mods.
So I'd advise you to go step-by-step: learn Java; learn Gradle; optionally, learn Groovy; develop a fully working application; then learn minecraft modding. It's a safer route. No need for 'mod-making' apps and such.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
OK, what's a simple way to learn enough gradle to understand what the forge gradle build process is doing and how to play along with it?

(Makefiles, check. Cmake, check. This thing ????)

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
OK, what's a simple way to learn enough gradle to understand what the forge gradle build process is doing and how to play along with it?

(Makefiles, check. Cmake, check. This thing ????)
I don't think there is a simple way. I personally have learned by reading the official gradle documentation until I started to understand how it works. It helps if you are familiar with dependency management, and Groovy (because gradle scripts use Groovy DSL things, as you may know). Forge gradle plugin adds a number of custom tasks and configurations, but you have to understand only some of them - the rest is pure Gradle.
Do you have more specific questions about 'playing along with it'?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the first thing is: Where is that tiny "build.gradle" doing the equivalent of "import <forge/forge.gradle>", and the second thing is: Where can I find forge.gradle?

I can't even begin to understand anything else until I can read what the rest of the stuff is.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a goal that I have: Be able to compile more than one mod.

How hard can that be?

First goal: Be able to compile a dependancy/shared library, and multiple mods -- a "KeyLib" and a bunch of mods that use it.

Second goal: Be able to make a 1.7.10 version of KeyLib, and a 1.10.2 version of it.

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone noticed how aggravating it is when you're trying to find villages because you need to acquire emeralds and other things you can only find in said villages? How about bringing the village to you instead in a way?

I think that there should be a mechanic where players can build rental properties that testificate villagers can spawn in that generate a reliable source of emeralds for players to use however they see fit. It's a bit inspired by the rental mechanic in Starbound where players can rent rooms to random NPCs. The benefits are not only is it a more humane way of collecting emeralds than spawning villagers in a mob spawner and smelting them in a smeltery, but there's a greater chance that it can generate a specific villager that you want whom you can still trade with. I imagine that players must build houses requiring items and other sets of perameters (doors, beds, windows, roofs, etc.), then they need to craft flyers they need to place somewhere on the outside of these houses to indicate that these are usable rental properties. What's more, if players want a specific type of villager to generate within one of these houses, they can craft a specific flyer to indicate whether this property is a church, a general store, a library, or a beekeeper's house. Players can collect their rent after a specific amount of time has passed from a bank they build near the rental properties (The bank will require a bank block to be made). The more rented properties players build, the higher the rent they collect.

Given how much players have to use emeralds to make the things they need/want nowadays, I think modpacks or individual mods should have something like this added to make things easier in the long run.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Umm ... First, other than trading, what other use is there for emeralds?
Second, "than spawning villagers in a mob trap"? You actually just grind/smelt/kill villagers for money? Think of them as "Kenny".
Third, ... building houses to collect rent, the more houses you build, the more rent you collect ... you want a monopoly mod? :)

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
Second, "than spawning villagers in a mob trap"? You actually just grind/smelt/kill villagers for money? Think of them as "Kenny".
Third, ... building houses to collect rent, the more houses you build, the more rent you collect ... you want a monopoly mod? :)
1. Some of the higher tier mod items require emeralds to craft, and emeralds currently aren't easy to collect.
2. I find the rental idea a bit more practical than grinding villagers since you still collect money from them and you can still trade with said villagers to collect specific items if you wish.
3. Yep. I think it'd be a great idea if there are more villagers paying rent for more properties and players collecting more emeralds at the end of the day.

ookagaricrypt

Jul 29, 2019

Unless they've removed it you can use a Tinkers' Smeltery to basically turn villagers into Soylent Green...uh I mean emeralds...

Using some kind of powered spawner you can spawn them then then melt them...If you care about the horror of what you're doing then yes a village moving mod would be cool. There's a village creation mod called village box. If the creator can add a config option to have the currency be emeralds instead of the bronze coins the mod adds then that might be a decent replacement...

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Of the many reasons to love Pneaumaticraft, is the ability to sell oil and receive emeralds, without ever seeing a villager.

Z

Zergling'sFinest

Everytime I start a new world and start building my first shelter, I think:
why do I force myself to use my limited wood and stone materials to build, why am I using logs like support pillars it's clearly a waste when I have plenty of dirt blocks that serve no use to me as resources.

Are there any currently developed mods out there that expands on structural integrity? So you aren't lying to yourself when you create a structurally sound roof to your house?

I've seen some old Videos showcasing the Block Physics mod, but even then I doubt the mod doesn't consider how weak and crumbly a block of dirt is, how can you hold any weight on a stack of them.

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Well, the first thing is: Where is that tiny "build.gradle" doing the equivalent of "import <forge/forge.gradle>", and the second thing is: Where can I find forge.gradle?

I can't even begin to understand anything else until I can read what the rest of the stuff is.

In the script there is (for 1.10 versions):

Code:
buildscript {
   repositories {
   jcenter()
   maven {
   name = "forge"
   url = "http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven"
   }

}

dependencies {
   classpath 'net.minecraftforge.gradle:ForgeGradle:2.2-SNAPSHOT'}
}

apply plugin: 'net.minecraftforge.gradle.forge'

This - dependencies { classpath 'net.minecraftforge.gradle:ForgeGradle:2.2-SNAPSHOT'} } - tells Gradle to add forge plugin to the project, and apply plugin: 'net.minecraftforge.gradle.forge' does the 'import'.

Here's a goal that I have: Be able to compile more than one mod.

How hard can that be?

First goal: Be able to compile a dependency/shared library, and multiple mods -- a "KeyLib" and a bunch of mods that use it.

Second goal: Be able to make a 1.7.10 version of KeyLib, and a 1.10.2 version of it.

Not very hard, I have an exact setup you described. Make the shared library project the top one, then nest actual mod projects inside it. Like this:
/Shared library
---/Project one
---/Project two

Create a 'settings.gradle' file in the top project folder, and include the nested projects:
Code:
include ('Project one', 'Project two')
Run the usual setupDecompWorkspace for the top project, then for each of the nested projects.
In their build.gradle files add a dependency on the top project:
Code:
dependencies{
    compile rootProject
}

Refresh all projects in your IDE. Now you should be able to use the code from the shared lib in sub-projects.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have any idea how simple that is? :)

... It even works with git; I think that fits the submodule setup.

Now:
This - dependencies { classpath 'net.minecraftforge.gradle:ForgeGradle:2.2-SNAPSHOT'} } - tells Gradle to add forge plugin to the project, and apply plugin: 'net.minecraftforge.gradle.forge' does the 'import'.
How can I read this plugin, so I can start to learn gradle / what the forge gradle setup is doing?

(I hate black boxes that don't have documentation :)

ookagaricrypt

Jul 29, 2019
Everytime I start a new world and start building my first shelter, I think:
why do I force myself to use my limited wood and stone materials to build, why am I using logs like support pillars it's clearly a waste when I have plenty of dirt blocks that serve no use to me as resources.

Are there any currently developed mods out there that expands on structural integrity? So you aren't lying to yourself when you create a structurally sound roof to your house?

I've seen some old Videos showcasing the Block Physics mod, but even then I doubt the mod doesn't consider how weak and crumbly a block of dirt is, how can you hold any weight on a stack of them.

Environmine had block physics, though I don't think it's been updated to 1.10.2. There's also WTF Exploration (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot) which adds tweaks to various things. One of those was making cobble and dirt fall. That HAS been updated for 1.10.2, not sure if that has what you're looking for...

Reactions: Zergling'sFinest

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Docs?

This is one of the few tasks added by ForgeGradle that is meant to be configured by end users. Further information for this task is documented here. TODO: link seperate page

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
OK, somehow, I was expecting forge gradle to be a text script of gradle instructions, using the groovy language scripting system -- that's what I thought gradle was.

Why does it seem to be a java jar program?

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
OK, somehow, I was expecting forge gradle to be a text script of gradle instructions, using the groovy language scripting system -- that's what I thought gradle was.

Why does it seem to be a java jar program?
Well, technically, gradle is a java program, so it's natural to choose java for writing the plugins. The guide says "You can implement a custom plugin in any language you like, provided the implementation ends up compiled as bytecode. For the examples here, we are going to use Groovy as the implementation language. You could use Java or Scala instead, if you want."

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Haha!

Well, here's one that came to me last night. It may well be more junk, but it seems like it should actually be fairly simple. I'd like to see something were you can right-click (or shift/ctrl or whatever if there are conflicts there) any item in any inventory/chest/whatever and it will reserve that slot for that item only. Like, it'd just highlight the box, and the only item that can go in that box is a stack of the item you reserved. I would find that useful.

Ya know... I could REALLY use something like this right now, lol. Someone gotta get on on this one!

A

anothergreenrain

Deconstructor
A mod that adds a deconstruction table which takes apart the parts used to create any item, even modded ones. For example, for a diamond pickaxe, you get three diamonds and two sticks.

The deconstruction table is expensive (perhaps eight diamonds plus a regular crafting table), and it requires both XP and RF for each use. The more damaged an item is, the more XP and RF it consumes, and the rarer the item is, the more XP and RF it consumes as well.

Basically, I want something like this mod except that the deconstruction table is a lot more expensive and requires RF in addition to XP.