Request Suggest mods for creation here

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
I wasn't aware that you could have multiple dimensions use different world gen data. I thought the setting that controls that was global over all dimensions and couldn't be easily saved.

Wait are you the person doing the Portal Nexus mod that's based off Minecraft Story Mode? If it isn't the Nexus mod would it be possible to obtain a copy of your work? I'm trying to put together a modded adventure pack using the Story Mode characters, and want to have a vanilla overworld, a BoP alternate dimension (and possibly more, such as Biome Bundle+Terrain Control). Story Mode wasn't the best game (or story) but the characters and idea are cool, and I think that Tell-Tale is missing out by not including their reactions to modded worlds (whether because legally they can't or because they don't know about them).
No, I'm not that person. But I will test whether these mods you mentioned will work in my dimensions.

Reactions: ookagaricrypt

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Heh, I'm working on it right now. There is no necessity to switch between saves, a modder just has to implement dimension system. And it's pretty damn difficult! I've been working on my dimension system for several weeks now, and I may consider it in beta state. I also managed to make it server-compatible, but I require (beta?)-testers to ensure that it works properly. Currently player can customize main properties (like seed, day time, world type) and game rules per every new dimension.

Just make sure the world provider reports the proper average ground level for the dimension (WorldProvider.getAverageGroundLevel()). I keep getting bug reports for my mod where a modded dimension changes "sea level" but continues to report the default "64" for average ground level.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Oh gawd, "getAverageGroundLevel()" is really "minimum spawn height", and "sea level" is an entirely different concept.

My suggestion? Be willing to redo all the forge mapping names now that the code is more well understood.

<Sigh>. Just try to implement rainfall, without flooding the overworld (sea level 62, gAGL reports 64), without drying out other dimensions (sea level generally gAGL-1).

Or ... do you seriously think that the overworld with most ground in the 66-74 range (plus hills) really counts as average 64?

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Color me baffled:
Oh gawd, "getAverageGroundLevel()" is really "minimum spawn height", and "sea level" is an entirely different concept.
Then:
(sea level generally gAGL-1)

Not sure if all the other comments are directed at me, but the only things I use AGL for is underground determination and calculating fog density based on elevation.

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Just make sure the world provider reports the proper average ground level for the dimension (WorldProvider.getAverageGroundLevel()). I keep getting bug reports for my mod where a modded dimension changes "sea level" but continues to report the default "64" for average ground level.
What is it used for? Briefly looking, it is used for setting spawn, and in village and "scattered features" generation.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
What is it used for? Briefly looking, it is used for setting spawn, and in village and "scattered features" generation.

Those are the things that Minecraft uses it for. For one of my mods I use it as a data point for determining if a player is underground as well as for calculating fog density for elevation. For other of my mods I use it for generating world structures and additional blocks underground.

mlane16

Jul 29, 2019
Performance and Quality of life mods are something that I think are needed desperately. Similar to what foamfix does.

For example, can you guys seriously look into improving the performance of enderIO across all the modpacks?

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
"getAverageGroundLevel()" does not return anything useful as average ground level.

It is 64 in the overworld; "dry" land is seen at 63 in shallow dips, and the overworld's ground level is well above 64 in most places.

What you can say is that the "base terrain height", for a biome with a root height of 0, is 64. There's a (roughly, approximately) -1 to +7 noise on top of that -- and yes, I know that it's really a 3d noise map. The *effect* in a biome with both root height and variation of 0 is just that, however.

BUT:
1. It's 32 in the nether, the nether sea is at 31, and ... there's nothing special about Y=32 terraingen over there.
2. It's 32 in Twilight Forest, and the sea level height in swamps is higher than the sea level height elsewhere ... so rainfall has to break one of those two.
3. It's ... 49? 50? in the end, and mystcraft island worlds. And the terrain actually changes at that point (it's where the ... "land sections", I guess, switch curvature). And Mystcraft actually has oceans there at AGL-1 so you get sugar cane, etc.

So: It approximates sea level, but it can be -1 or -2, depending; it generally specifies a "base ground level", but not always (cave worlds/nether); it determines your spawn height, and vanilla uses it for placing some structures (which can bury some if the ground goes hilly enough).

Not sure if all the other comments are directed at me, but the only things I use AGL for is underground determination and calculating fog density based on elevation.

I'm not really directing anything at anyone. I'm just frustrated at trying to deal with forge names that don't really reflect reality, and since this is the "suggest mods" thread, and since we can't actually make use of the MCP names in anything but forge, and they're basically borked, ...

(And, I'm frustrated by the limitations in the rain system I implemented).

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want a mod: I want Forge - it must be forge so other mods will use it: I want a mod that will

Register keybinds for each of the armor slots, as well as the active held item slot.
Mods - like Thaumcraft, and Ars Magica, and Thermal Expansion and Factorization, and Tinkers Construct and Ender IO and so on that add armor and tools with specific powers that can be activated, toggled or altered, will NOT use their own keybinds. They will use the single - context sensitive keybind - this mod provides.

Then, If I wish to toggle the active power on my Thaumcraft Wand, or Botania Terra Shatterer, or IC2 Wrench, or whatever, I will make sure its active, and press (or hold) F.
And if I wish to activate the Thaumcraft hover harness, or IC2 Jetpack, or other item in my chest slot - I press H.
And so on, for every other slot that mods currently add an item with toggelable powers bound to my evermore insufficient number of keys.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Notice how all the "ore crop" mods are just re-skinned wheat? (the crop itself grows and harvests the same way wheat does).
And not only that- some of them add wheat versions of the other MC crops so its all the same as wheat.
And that my friends is ....Boring

Why not change it up so we have a mix of ore-vines, ore-canes, gourds, cacti, trees, flowers/shrooms, and grasses?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Notice how all the "ore crop" mods are just re-skinned wheat? (the crop itself grows and harvests the same way wheat does).
And not only that- some of them add wheat versions of the other MC crops so its all the same as wheat.
And that my friends is ....Boring

Why not change it up so we have a mix of ore-vines, ore-canes, gourds, cacti, trees, flowers/shrooms, and grasses?
While I don't agree that its boring how they do things currently, that is actually a really REALLY interesting idea! :D Ore-canes and ore-cacti would be similar I imagine, except that one is "spiky", but yeah. Perhaps ore-cocoa as well? Ore mushrooms I'm not sure about, as those only have one growth stage - how would you have them work? Unless you could have an expensive ore-bonemeal which allows you to grow them into giant oreshrooms... hmm! Certainly a little more variety could be interesting. Would you want "fruits" you have to break, like cocoa beans, or would you have them like the fruit trees in Pam's where you right-click the mature fruit to get harvest and it turns back to growth-stage 0? There is also the possibility of something like the natura bloodwood tree, where you have to plant it on the ceiling and it grows down (or perhaps as a stalactite rather than a plant? Gradual precipitation of metals!). Certainly it would make for a much more varied and interesting-looking resource-growing area. I like it!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ore-shrooms would be things like Redstone or Lapis, where you'd normally get a bunch of little things, instead you have fast growing shrooms that can be continually harvested.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Totally forgot about cocoa. Pods of iron/nickel growing on a ferrous tree would look pretty cool.
Ore-shrooms; I was thinking slow spreading like the vanilla ones. (pre nerf, when they'd fill up a cavern given half a chance).

The stalactite idea sounds awesome. I only considered the vanilla crops, kudos for that one :)

--Edit-- There's also Chorus fruit; which has an interesting growth pattern.

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
From the Minecraft.net page on upcoming VR headset support,
and the cursor now sticks to blocks as you dig at them - so you can take in the sights while you mine!

This is something I'd like to see in normal minecraft -- being able to look around while digging. Or, just plain not losing mining progress if I adjust my location.

Yes, I am thinking of "creeper guard". Now granted, it won't affect most things (just a few ores, or obsidian), it's just ... well, when you need it, you need it.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
An SMP compatible auto-torch placer.

There is http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-mods/2230769-my-first-mod-the-auto-torch-mod but it is not functional in multiplayer, and it works in single player by playing around with entity processing. If you are on a spot where you cannot legally place a torch, it repeatedly attempts to place and drop the torch, and about 50-75% of the torches are lost when you try to pick them up. Worse, with some other mods (DragonAPI, possibly others), it gives a CME for entity processing.

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
An SMP compatible auto-torch placer.

There is http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-mods/2230769-my-first-mod-the-auto-torch-mod but it is not functional in multiplayer, and it works in single player by playing around with entity processing. If you are on a spot where you cannot legally place a torch, it repeatedly attempts to place and drop the torch, and about 50-75% of the torches are lost when you try to pick them up. Worse, with some other mods (DragonAPI, possibly others), it gives a CME for entity processing.
I assume you are requesting for version 1.7? There's a mod that can place torches on key press, but it's only for 1.10.2.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, for 1.7.10. On keypress? I can already do that, my "use/place" bind is a key, not the mouse. I mean when walking into a dark spot.

(OK, so I may have gotten used to the automatic lighting of energetic nitor, and consider auto-torch-placement a decent substitute :)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, for 1.7.10. On keypress? I can already do that, my "use/place" bind is a key, not the mouse. I mean when walking into a dark spot.

(OK, so I may have gotten used to the automatic lighting of energetic nitor, and consider auto-torch-placement a decent substitute :)

Ars Magica's armor infusion process has an infusion for legs or boots iirc that places ars magica light glimmers (Rather than torches) as you explore dark places.

ookagaricrypt

Jul 29, 2019
Wanna know what might be awesome? An adventure/exploration mod in a similar vein to to Twilight Forest, but rather than being a surreal fantasy theme, have it be based off the world of Runeterra in League of Legends...there would be multiple biomes related to the various regions/city states. Zaun biome would be a sort of swampy noxious place full of poison and decay, the Piltover biome would have randomly generated structures in a sort of metropolis/future city kinda way. Demacia and Noxus would be sort of similar with Demacia looking warm and welcoming and Noxus looking kind of dangerous or shady. Each would have copious amounts of randomly generated structures, with a massive castle always in the center. Ionia would look pastoral and serene with small rivers and sparse forests. The structures would look generically Oriental (mix of Korean, Chinese, and Japanese would probably be most accurate) and it would be one of the safer biomes to explore. Yordle Land would be dense forests full of wildlife. You would find small yordle settlements and generic yordles everywhere. Shurima would be a desert theme with various monsters you might find there. You might find some "Ascended" beings like Nasus, Renekton, or Azir (generic larger than normal animal people who are basically humans that have become immortal gods via a ritual) as well as normal humans who look to the ascended for guidance and protection. Then the Freljord would be a sort of massive Ice Biome with giant crevasses and things like trolls, a tribe of intelligent bear warriors, and generic nordic people. Then of course there's the wild lands with no human settlement where creatures like intelligent plants, "savage" humans who are in touch with their inner animal, and any number of other faintly terrifying thing (venus man traps, poisonous animals, and so on). If you want to add even MORE to this impossibly complex idea, create a further two dimensions for the Shadow Isles and The Void. The void could be a void world with a terrifyingly messed up background (or just pure black with no other elements whatsoever) and various End-Like islands where Lovecraftian style beasts roam. The Shadow Isles would be a dark spooky forest with evil spirits and messed up/decrepit structures. Each biome/dimension would have various generic characters spawn (non-champions, basically), with trades similar to villagers in the overworld. Said trades would be for items from the mod. Each biome would have various Champions spawn who are aligned with various areas of Runeterra. There could only be one of each champion spawned at a time (though they would respawn every so often like in a normal game). Killing them grants a powerful tool or weapon corresponding to their characters. Jarvan IV, for example, would drop his lance thing, swain might drop a spawn egg for a raven-pet, Ashe her bow, and so on down the line. The "leaders" of each faction would be the most powerful (J4, Swain, Karma/Irelia). There's probably even more than can be done, if you want to go even deeper on the "Insane Detail" line (like adding dimensions for Summoner's Rift, Twisted Treeline, and Murder Brid...uh I mean Howling Abyss). Of course this could only come about when somebody who knows how to mod, loves Minecraft, and loves League of Legends (and it's lore) comes around and says "I like this idea," while actually having the time to put this much detail into it...it's a small chance of happening to be sure.

I know this idea is insane, but a guy can dream can't he? That said I know there was a LoL mod that got discontinued, but if somebody managed to make this I would be flabbergasted and squeeing in fanboyish joy...either way I wanna hear your thoughts on this? Insane, stupid, or cool?

ookagaricrypt

Jul 29, 2019
I have another idea, one that seems like it should already exist, but I haven't heard anything about. It's not so much a mod as it is a way to make creating mods easier. Is there an IDE for Minecraft modding (or a program like the "creation kit" that Bethesda has) or a plugin for an existing IDE? If not it might be helpful for people who want to mod, and it might make modding more accessible if such a thing were to exist. Like the LoL mod I suggested above it would take a lot of work and probably coding wizardry. I have neither the skill nor experience to do such a thing, but I thought it might be interesting to suggest nonetheless. I know they had a "create your own mod" kind of thing, but from what I remember it didn't allow for much in the way of creating dimensions or new biomes or adding new mechanics like what Thaumcraft or Blood Magic does. If such a utility exists I'd like to know so that I can check it out. I've always wanted to get into modding myself but the sheer amount of stuff for a complete beginner to learn is massive. I think having access to a tool that allows basic infrastructure to be set up and maybe allow for importing well known mods for the purpose of creating add-ons would be kinda cool and useful.