Request Suggest mods for creation here

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if this is available or not, but I had an idea for a mod auto-updater that I don't think has been done before, it works like this:

• Mod authors opt-in by adding an attribute (I forget what the Java name for it is, but they go above the class definition and start with '@') to their main mod class, a string which holds a URL that points to a JSON file somewhere that they maintain.
  • Each JSON file has at least one field named after a specific version of vanilla (ie: 1.7.10 or 1.4.7) and has three attributes: the latest version of the mod, the URL for said version, and the minimum required Forge version.
  • The updater checks if the two versions line up, and if they don't, they give the user a prompt asking if they want to update (with a "Don't Ask Me Again" option that can be config'd should they change their mind) and if they say yes, it'll download the new version and get rid of the old one.
  • Once all's said and done, if any updates were done, it'll tell the user that its restarting Minecraft to finish the updates and boom, done.
Whaddya think?
Something like this already exists: Version Checker
It can also auto-download

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Not to mention I do not want to allow, under any circumstances, a "I don't care I'm out of date, never mention it again" option.
Well I think the exclamation mark won't go away until you update
But well, it can be easily ignored, or the whole mod can be disabled.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I wouldn't mind an addon to give items entities certain attributes...
explode upon dropping/contact with fire,
explode killing player/give potion effect [ignore armour?] if held in player/mob's inventory when above happens
give potion effect when held in player/mob's inventory (passive ability)
item destroyed [vanishes/replaced with XY] if dropped or player/mob damaged while carrying
(this has potential beyond stealth killing players by feeding them TNT and whacking them with a stick)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Not to mention I do not want to allow, under any circumstances, a "I don't care I'm out of date, never mention it again" option.
Aah, but then it sends a note to mod authors' GitHubs when the user makes a bug report telling said author that the person is running an old version of their mod and can, thus, easily be ignored.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Aah, but then it sends a note to mod authors' GitHubs when the user makes a bug report telling said author that the person is running an old version of their mod and can, thus, easily be ignored.
I doubt this to be possible, and it does not stop people from posting bug reports elsewhere. Indeed, if users notice they are getting ignored on GitHub, they will certainly try posting it everywhere until acknowledged.

Reactions: 1SDAN

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt this to be possible, and it does not stop people from posting bug reports elsewhere. Indeed, if users notice they are getting ignored on GitHub, they will certainly try posting it everywhere until acknowledged.
You know, the amount of idiots in this world astounds me. If only we could replace captcha with a common sense quiz...

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
You know, the amount of idiots in this world astounds me. If only we could replace captcha with a common sense quiz...
Actually, I think this would work:
And if you did it, you get a cookie! (The tracking kind, so the government knows that you are some kind of probally dangerous genius)

Edit: Wow, this thread derails easily.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Reactions: 1SDAN and CoolSquid

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
PLEASE tell me where more of those screen caps may be found (without going to the site of course)
So, you like a site's content so much you are willing to go out of your way to ensure that you do not support it by specifically avoiding actually seeing the site? WTF? Just saying, but this is in the same vein as pirating to internet content creators.

Reactions: 1SDAN

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
So, you like a site's content so much you are willing to go out of your way to ensure that you do not support it by specifically avoiding actually seeing the site? WTF? Just saying, but this is in the same vein as pirating to internet content creators.
I think the site's idiocy is humorous. I do not however in any way, endorse their affixiation for koala meat

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
*cough* I was talking about theoatmeal.com. The koala site is entirely fake, in case you couldn't figure that out from "tastiest koala loins."
Ah, well... things

Honestly, I thought it was another Ping's Cars