Running Red: Help Venting and Discussion Thread!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The high-grade apples give you like 2 minutes of regeneration, no need to brew up potions for that...

But it doesn't matter. The regeneration effect is not fast enough. If you doubled the speed of it, it would still not be fast enough. This recipe sucks 5 hearts worth of blood in ca. 3 seconds.

I expect that even with a mob spawner, I'll have to wait until I've collected some 20-30 mobs before I can start the infusion (and that's with an already full altar). There's no time to wait for new spawns while it runs.

Zigian

Jul 29, 2019
I edited my potion post as yes, regen potions probably aren't fast enough, instant health pots tho, they are. Just trying to give you an out since you really don't want a mob spawner, even tho in my opinion, it's worth it for blood magic.

cliff5620

Jul 29, 2019
Just a note, I had to start a world in singleplayer for the map save, then upload it to the server so as to spawn on the island. Without doing so, I just dropped out of the world.

Thanks! That's good to know before we start.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I edited my potion post as yes, regen potions probably aren't fast enough, instant health pots tho, they are. Just trying to give you an out since you really don't want a mob spawner, even tho in my opinion, it's worth it for blood magic.

I'm currently building one. It's taking a good amount of work (and smoothstone) but I've set the altar up in T4 configuration below, so it'll be a permanent thing and probably useful in the long run.

EDIT: Mobspawner complete. It is absolutely, utterly ridiculous. I was worried about getting 30 mobs... I got more than 80.

Also noticed a bug: baby zombies don't 1-hit die from the sacrificial dagger. This almost caused me to run out of blood because it kept taking hits without giving blood.

Last edited:

Zigian

Jul 29, 2019
So, I found a bit of an issue with entering the spirit world. Hope this helps others out.

Problem: Upon entering the spirit world, you only get ~20 seconds to run around. After which time, you'll return to the overworld and a status message will be in the chat area stating you fell out of the world.

What seems to be happening: A well of suffering is damaging your "sleeping body". I'm guessing, since your body stays in the overworld during your time in the spirit world, that the well of suffering can damage it as it becomes a different entity somehow due to the game mechanics.

Solution: Moving away from the well of suffering before drinking the brew of sleeping will allow you to stay in the spirit world until you want to return, or until you die in either the spirit world or the overworld.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
I found two bugs (version 1.1.4):
1. I'm able to break cobble slabs with an iron axe in the same time it would take to break them with an iron pick.
2. I lost all of my heart canisters, when I died - they weren't in my grave and they also didn't drop to the ground. I died on top of the clay starter platform and there's no way they could have fallen off on the side. When I then reloaded an old save (from maybe 5 minutes ago), the yellow hearts were back but the canisters were still missing and I also wasn't able to reganetate the hearts.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I found two bugs (version 1.1.4):
1. I'm able to break cobble slabs with an iron axe in the same time it would take to break them with an iron pick.
2. I lost all of my heart canisters, when I died - they weren't in my grave and they also didn't drop to the ground. I died on top of the clay starter platform and there's no way they could have fallen off on the side. When I then reloaded an old save (from maybe 5 minutes ago), the yellow hearts were back but the canisters were still missing and I also wasn't able to reganetate the hearts.
1. Uhm..... I'll go with a Won't Fix. That doesn't really affect progression much
2. Logs?

Zigian

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Gideon, small little bug. Opaque fluiducts can only be crafted with Thermal Expansion copper. Forestry and Tinker's don't work. I found a workaround luckily. Smeltery will output forestry copper in ingot form on the casting table, and tinker's in a basin and breaking the block into ingots. Break both types down into nuggets and mix them to recreate ingots which come out as TE ingots. Lol. Gotta love ore dictionary. BTW this is in the Spirit World. I don't know if it is the same way in the overworld, but I'd assume so.

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
1. Uhm..... I'll go with a Won't Fix. That doesn't really affect progression much
2. Logs?
I don't have any logs from when it happened yesterday.
But it's weird, I just let myself get killed again and this time the heart canisters (I gave myself 4 new ones) were still in my inventory after respawning. Hm, that must have been a bug then, even though I have no idea what could have caused it.

Chris Caldwell

Jul 29, 2019
I keep seeing people refer to the watering can but when I try to craft it I get a notification that it can only do that in Peaceful mode. What am I doing wrong?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so I'm a bit confused... I beat the map, saw the credits roll, just barely clawed my way through the optional boss, got the t-shirt and stuff... but one of the questlines in the book is still empty. Is that supposed to happen/is it just not implemented (yet)? Or is that something you only get if you take the Witchery path?

I don't want to miss any content... :p

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
bonus quests that unlocks through special actions like crafting specific items or dying X number of times

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Huh, I see. Apparently I did not craft any of those and died way too little :p

According to the questbook, I died five times. Two of these were pure messing around (like trying to find out if you could sacrifice yourself to death or seeing if there was anything at the bottom of the blood waterfall coming from the first island), and one was mandated through questing. And the remaining deaths involved accidentally hitting a zombie pigman while trying to hit a different mob instead... :confused::D

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure there's a roof on top. They mustn't see the sky.

I just built a fully enclosed house with zero light sources for my bushes. Halfslabs on the floor in places where none are planted to prevent spawns.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
First off, I approve of this continuation of my series of threads.

Now for my vent; just died twice in half an hour in the Nether, both times losing a full set of Bound armor. First to the Pigmen, then to a swarm of wither skeltons. All I want is nether wart... :(

Reactions: pc_assassin

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Got enough LP in your soul network? The bound armor will literally eat you up if it runs out of LP to fuel its demonic protection ability. And if you slotted lots of sigils with passive upkeep costs, your LP may drop faster than you think.

You don't need bound armor to survive there either. I never built more than the chestplate the relevant quest required me to, and I did fine with the rest of the slots occupied by glowstone or steel armor pieces (looted faster than I could ever use them up from my constant and numerous mob sacrifices) and a glowstone sword. Unenchanted stuff, even. Granted, I did slot a lava sigil and a master orb into the bound chestplate, for unlimited free fire immunity. That's kind of required in that nether fortress. If you go there without fire immunity, you will die. Even if you don't die to the fire, it will keep your health down so that something else will kill you.

High-grade golden apples also give you fire immunity, so if you didn't slot it into your bound armor, those are a good backup. They also give you regeneration, which makes for significantly less dying. Considering this map throws excessive amounts of high-grade golden apples at you in every second quest, I think you should have the ability to be a bit wasteful and just use them to keep the buffs up permanently while you're in the fortress.

Another very much life preserving measure is disabling hostile mob spawns... in other words, light that sucker up. Torches everywhere. Press F7 to let NEI show you where there is not enough light yet, and remove blaze fires to make sure you aren't deceived. Blazes and zombie pigmen will still spawn anyway, but the latter shouldn't bother you if you don't bother them, and against the former you should be immune. Especially light up all the side paths, so you create an area where you're guaranteed to be free from hostile monsters (aside from ineffectual blazes). If you only light up the main path you follow, skeletons will keep pouring in from the sides and block your retreat. Prepare to spend 2-3 stacks of torches on this.