Running Red: Help Venting and Discussion Thread!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zigian

Jul 29, 2019
Remember the first island you get to, the one with the life essence pool? It's covered in grass. You can bonemeal grass blocks to spawn tall grass, which you can then break for a chance of obtaining seeds. It took me a while because at first all i got were useless Witchery seeds (I chose the Pneumatricraft route as well), but eventually I got some. As soon as you have one, you can plant it anywhere and use ExtraUtil's OP watering can to grow wheat and get any number of seeds you want in short order.

In the meantime, I'm having absolutely awful luck with scented artificial hives. 0 successes out of 5 tries so far, despite meeting the requirements as described on a wiki I found on google. They're 8000LP each to replace. And even should one succeed, I'd still have to win the ignoble/pristine lottery before I can breed anything. I'm honestly tempted to just say "screw bees" entirely beyond a pair of basic bee houses. I hope it isn't a requirement to progress.

Just some tips.
-Make multiple hives, automate pulling them in/out of the altar so you can walk away while they process.
-Make sure you aren't placing them in a river or ocean biome

For me, I got forest bees fairly easily by placing 4 hives between 2 oak trees in a forest biome. There was a single space between leaves of each trees and I just lined the hives there. I want to say I got 1 hive on my 2nd set of 4, and then 2 hives on my 3rd set. So it seemed to work quite well. I do believe I read somewhere that the artificial hives have something like an 80% chance not to work. Also, I got rocky's on my 2nd attempt with a single hive. For this, I just built a 5x5 box out of smooth stone and put the beehive in the middle with just a 2 high tunnel to get in out. So far, I haven't found any use for bees. I'm on the Witchery path. I may have just been extremely lucky too.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I did manage to get a meadows hive on my sixth attempt. Ironically the first one I actually placed on the island where the other hives were, and that instantly worked.

And in regards to progress, I was afraid I'd have to breed something to progress. I mean, there were multiple quests and that insanely long-distance trip just to fetch and set up those bees, clearly there's a reason for them to exist, yes? Though it turns out that the questline dropped the subject and instead has me do compressed iron instead. Well, I have three pairs of bees making honey now, just in case I ever need some.

Also, I need to go tell the author of Spice of Life that they forgot to include Forestry's foods in whatever code does the hunger restoration overlay thingy.

Meanwhile, how big is the spawn protection radius around the starter island? I probably won't get around setting up a mob spawner for sacrifices eventually, despite my enormous dislike for mob spawners of any kind, but I can't seem to get any monsters to spawn anywhere near where I have set up all my infrastructure... can be as dark as it wants, they just don't want to come.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I did manage to get a meadows hive on my sixth attempt. Ironically the first one I actually placed on the island where the other hives were, and that instantly worked.

And in regards to progress, I was afraid I'd have to breed something to progress. I mean, there were multiple quests and that insanely long-distance trip just to fetch and set up those bees, clearly there's a reason for them to exist, yes? Though it turns out that the questline dropped the subject and instead has me do compressed iron instead. Well, I have three pairs of bees making honey now, just in case I ever need some.

Also, I need to go tell the author of Spice of Life that they forgot to include Forestry's foods in whatever code does the hunger restoration overlay thingy.

Meanwhile, how big is the spawn protection radius around the starter island? I probably won't get around setting up a mob spawner for sacrifices eventually, despite my enormous dislike for mob spawners of any kind, but I can't seem to get any monsters to spawn anywhere near where I have set up all my infrastructure... can be as dark as it wants, they just don't want to come.
No idea about the spawning range. I'm looking into it.

The reason for the bee trek was because one needs a Plains biome. And I try to give rewards to people who do it. Look for a chest around that island.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Iron oreberries in a pulverizer.

Many recipes are nonstandard, using NEI to look at where things come from is highly recommended ;)

rextron

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks again! yeah i thought i had checked it and and i just realized i didnt look at the second page of the pulverizer list. >.< you are a lifesaver. tahnks so much!

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I'm stumped, the Blood Magic noob that I am.

How do I get the tier 3 orb crafted? It requires 2.5 times what the altar can store, and in contrast to the other recipes that drain at a quaint pace, this one will suck the thing dry before even a single bucket has a chance to filter in from external storage. And I cannot craft either the augmented storage or the faster transfer without the orb I can't make. What's the trick here?

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com

How do I get the tier 3 orb crafted? It requires 2.5 times what the altar can store, and in contrast to the other recipes that drain at a quaint pace, this one will suck the thing dry before even a single bucket has a chance to filter in from external storage. And I cannot craft either the augmented storage or the faster transfer without the orb I can't make. What's the trick here?
You need to fill it while it is draining, either by killing mobs or eating a few apples.

Zigian

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks so much, me and a few friends wanted to try it out on multiplayer.

Just a note, I had to start a world in singleplayer for the map save, then upload it to the server so as to spawn on the island. Without doing so, I just dropped out of the world.

I think a lot of people don't realize that the altar can go dry and you don't lose the progress on the infusion of blood. Simply add more as you can. Be patient, it will complete. Throw the items in there, fill it up, go do something else while you heal, put more blood in, rinse repeat.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Just a note, I had to start a world in singleplayer for the map save, then upload it to the server so as to spawn on the island. Without doing so, I just dropped out of the world.

I think a lot of people don't realize that the altar can go dry and you don't lose the progress on the infusion of blood. Simply add more as you can. Be patient, it will complete. Throw the items in there, fill it up, go do something else while you heal, put more blood in, rinse repeat.
You do lose some progress, just not all of it.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Ummm. Whenever I do run out of blood on an in-progress recipe, I start losing progress at the same rate as I was gaining it before. The guides I have read say the same thing, too.

Meaning this recipe will lose about a bucket's worth of progress every 3-4 seconds when you run out. That is many, many times faster than you can self-sacrifice, even with regeneration from both food and a high-grade golden apple active together. I've tried it.

So yeah, looks like building a mob spawner seems to be a hard progress requirement here. ...I'm so not motivated to do this :(

Zigian

Jul 29, 2019
Ok my mistake, I guess I just always returned to fill it while still retaining some progress... You could get some regen or instant health potions brewed up to help since the apples only give you regen for a few seconds. You've got a brew stand don't you?

Last edited: