Running Red: Help Venting and Discussion Thread!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I built a mob spawn room to use with my well of suffering. But it didn't spawn anything, even though the light level is at zero and I'm far enough away.
Well, turned out that the world spawn point is too close: Mobs won't spawn within 24 blocks of spawn points
Now I have to move and rebuild the whole thing, including the altar and the well of suffering because else they would be too far away from the room :mad:

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I had the same issue, especially since I stuck close to spawn for the entire gameplay (behold literally the entirety of my base at map completion, minus the Wither killing arena located in my back in this screenshot :p)

At first I had my altar in the wood section where the enchantment table is now, but I couldn't get any mobs to spawn anywhere near there. So I moved the entire thing next to the ladder I had built to reach the first island, and built the mob spawner above it starting from that island. Turns out it was a little low, resulting in no mobs spawning while I was at the altar, but that turned out to be a blessing rather than a curse. The spawn rate was so gigantic that I was glad it naturally dried up while I was sacrificing stuff. It meant the spawning room itself was already empty when I climbed up the ladder afterwards and filled it with torches to toggle the spawning off.

(Leaving it on was not an option. There's few things I loathe more than a constant cacophony of zombie sounds, and it was right on top of the structure I spent most of my time in this modpack on by far...)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I didn't have any problems prior to installing the well of suffering because I had the spawn room higher up and the monsters would fall into cobwebs.
Redstone lamps are an easy way to toggle the room on and off, mobs can still spawn on redstone dust.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Butbut... that would have required effort :p

I personally don't like mob spawners as a concept and really only invested the bare minimum of thought into building it. I think it was my first one since Minecraft left beta. You'll notice that I didn't build a well of suffering either. The time (and blood!) spent doing that I put towards quest completion instead. And considering I could fill up a resonant portable tank in under 2 minutes of manual sacrificing (my altar was pretty much all dislocation and sacrificing runes), I never really felt like I was short on blood enough to think about passive generation.

Last edited:

mickaboy72

Jul 29, 2019
hey guys, do the speed rune works?
cause I've been constantly test the difference between a level 1 altar and level 2 altar (with 4 speed runes)
and the result is nothing has change.
the speed rate of processing are almost the same.
(by means of manual input)

[EDIT] SOLVED
ahhh, forgot to check wiki..

A tier 2 Altar only receives bonuses from the four Runes on the sides, not the four in the corners.

Last edited:

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
I'm getting ready to start some Blood Magic. Poking around the wiki will teach me, but for conversation's sake, is this mod worth exploring? There's a million magic mods, and this one looks pretty neat... But I barely have my house built. I just need something to do while I let my pearls grow. Is Blood Magic too tedious, or too time consuming for such an endeavor?

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
I'm getting ready to start some Blood Magic. Poking around the wiki will teach me, but for conversation's sake, is this mod worth exploring? There's a million magic mods, and this one looks pretty neat... But I barely have my house built. I just need something to do while I let my pearls grow. Is Blood Magic too tedious, or too time consuming for such an endeavor?
Blood Magic is very powerful and worth it. It is a bit slow in the beginning, but once you have renewable LP, you can do whatever you want. Early game in this modpack, keep doing the repeatable mob killing quest and get the enchanted golden apple (you also want to do this quest for the diamonds) as the apple gives you very good regen which allows you to fill up the altar fast.
On a side note, you don't have a choice but to progress with BM in this pack, as it is necessary to progress in the quests.

Also, Padfoote made one the best guides for getting started in BM, so I suggest you read that one.

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
I'll take a look at it when I get a moment tonight! I assume you're talking about Agrarian Skies. I didn't realize that was quest oriented. That could be fun as well! I've enjoyed quest rated, but there was that space one that had the prebuilt ME system... I got too confused with that one to keel trying though. I couldn't get the ME and RF systems to interface, or the Minechem to work.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
I'll take a look at it when I get a moment tonight! I assume you're talking about Agrarian Skies. I didn't realize that was quest oriented. That could be fun as well! I've enjoyed quest rated, but there was that space one that had the prebuilt ME system... I got too confused with that one to keel trying though. I couldn't get the ME and RF systems to interface, or the Minechem to work.
*Mega Facepalm*

All the modpacks you are talking about are centered on HQM. They all have quests. And no, I was talking about this modpack.

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
I know I was talking about HQM centered mod packs. I just haven't ever played RR, so I'm just trying to add input in the closest related areas I know.

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
...When I said pearls, I forget you can grow endy pearls. I was talking Mariculture for pearl blocks. Hehe. I have only played a little of the HQM packs.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
altars.jpg

I moved the altar one layer above, one can still see the skeletal structure at the former position at the bottom. I'm gonna tear down this remainder.
I built two altars, one with sacrifice runes and one with speed runes. The new spawn room for the mobs is at least 26 blocks away from the spawn and they're falling through cobwebs.

And btw: How do I get mushrooms? I have a single red mushroom laying around in a chest, not sure where it came from. I need brown ones for fermented spider eyes.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Mushrooms sometimes grow in nether fortresses, IIRC. It's rare, but you might have gotten one from that.

And maybe there's a way to make mycelium?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
And how would mycelium help me to get mushrooms? Isn't it but a growth medium for them?[DOUBLEPOST=1414012099][/DOUBLEPOST]Nevermind. Found one in the nether fortress.

Last edited:

29erfan72012

Jul 29, 2019
I seem to be having an issue in that my altar and surrounding area keeps exploding, is that intentional or am I just really unlucky?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I seem to be having an issue in that my altar and surrounding area keeps exploding, is that intentional or am I just really unlucky?
Make sure that creepers and skeletons can't see you, if a skeleton tries to shoot you and hits a creeper instead it will explode.

29erfan72012

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure that creepers and skeletons can't see you, if a skeleton tries to shoot you and hits a creeper instead it will explode.

oh thanks, yeah that would explain it, it mainly happens just after I log in but yeah it makes sense, thanks :)