rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

jbondhus

Jul 29, 2019
You should release a continuing version of it :) - like host it somewhere and update it periodically, so we don't have to search threads and request new copies :p

_-Nova-_

Jul 29, 2019
Are you looking for a 1.7.10 pack? Since you play(ed) on the TPPI 1.6.4 pack, maybe try their 1.7.10 beta pack? That's what I'm playing right now and I am really enjoying it.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ok sorry for the delay on this. I had a few loose ends I wanted to fix first but real life slowed that down a lot in the past few weeks. But I have now uploaded a new up-to-date save from my server. I have added the link and information to the first post of the TPPI project:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...uide-collection-etc.42664/page-20#post-790941
You can also jump directly to this post later from a link on the first post in the thread.

I will update the link there later if I upload a new save so there is only one place to find the newest save, but will of course also announce it in the thread when I do so.

EDIT: If anyone downloads and explores the save, any constructive feedback on anything and everything is of course welcome!

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Seamless expansion of a base to another location or dimension:

I have once again run into the problem that the massive complexity of my main base is starting to ruin performance. But yet I do not feel that I am done building on it :p
So I have devised a way to expand it without actually adding to the complexity of the area:

The simple way of doing it would to simply put some of the tech and stuff into another dimension (or place it far away in the overworld) and portal to it when I need to. But that is not really want I want. I want to expand my main base and keep it one big integrated base. But I cannot keep adding stuff to the same area so I need to put the stuff into another dimension.
So I have been pondering about how to relocate part of the base, yet at least keep up the illusion that it was still part of my main base back in the Overworld :p
LqobJEZ.png

The idea is to use OpenBlocks Elevators (mainly because I already use those a lot all over my base) in conjunction with Mystcraft portals to make a simple jump in floors actually (somewhat seamless without notice) become a teleport to another dimension.

The initial idea was to simply "floor jump" into an active portal, but the Elevators refuse to do that. So came up with this small contraption:
GQSYtAK.png

All it does is detect the player is in place(Random Things Entity Detector), activate the Itemduct, suck the Linking book out of the chest which is then cycled into the Book Receptacle again and again until the player have portalled away.

By setting the two Linking books to the two opposite floors the experience then becomes one of actually travelling from one dimensions elevator to the others:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Don't you have Enhanced Portals? Could have sworn TPPI had that.
Monster got it. And that version was rather buggy tbh. There was a newer 1.6.4 versions (not update compatible with the one in Monster due to using new IDs etc.), but it was still not good AFAIK...
That is why I have not repeated the portal elevators that I loved so much in my Monster world ;)

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah. That makes sense. I didn't play with it much myself in Monster, but I saw a few people make good use of it. Mostly Hermitcraft on the Modsauce server.

Mike Y

Jul 29, 2019
WOW! I just went through this whole forum and I have so much motivation to up my builds now. You're awesome! I had a couple questions if you don't mind. 1) How did you make those small white lights hanging from the ceilings of a lot of your rooms you have? 2) What method did you use to automate your elevators at your base? It didn't look like you used the open block elevator. Again great work, I look forward to more of your posts!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
1) How did you make those small white lights hanging from the ceilings of a lot of your rooms you have?
Ehm could you point out a place? I use a lot of the inverted Project Red Lamps(the big full block lights), Fixtures(the box like light that sits on a grey base), Lanterns(the small cylinder that hangs or sits on a stalk) etc.
A good trick is to type "@projectred-illumination" into NEI. This will give you all the mods lights(since the mod is modular, at least in 1.6.4).

2) What method did you use to automate your elevators at your base? It didn't look like you used the open block elevator.
In my TPPI world I am exclusively using OpenBlocks Elevators. But in my Monster world I was using a much more challenging and complex method that involved Enhanced Portals 3 operated by ComputerCraft control.
You can find a post on how I did it here:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...uide-collection-etc.42664/page-17#post-722552

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Still modular in 1.7.10. I think there are also a couple of cage lamps, the squat ones that appear surrounded by iron bars.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Base expansion

So as most might have guessed, I have expanded my base by now ;) And I have used the above mentioned portal trick to relocate it to another dimension to prevent causing further performance degradation to the area(though it can hardly get any worse :p).
I chose to use my mining world since it was really ideal for the purpose. And it means keeping one less world loaded that way too.

But lets begin back in overworld there the "illusion" begins:

A new express elevator lift have been added next to the workshop:
fm22SVO.png

(the tin and Iron block door to the right)
Also note that down the left corridor where the wall bulges out, that is "Lift C". A lift/elevator that goes all the way up and down through the bunker.

For reference also note this picture:
LLt0UQo.png

This used to be Lift C's lowest stop. It is the cargo container road that leads to the Cargo Lift(seen to the right) leading up to the Workshop.

For a better overview here is a map of the bunker with these 3 lifts marked:
cb8L7qY.png

What I have now done is use the portal trick to give both the "Express lift" and "Lift C" the illusion of another floor further down(The Cargo Lift is purely cosmetic).

So lets take the Express Lift down shall we?

Stepping out of the lift:
ZMkRKCh.png

Ok we cannot really ignore the elephant in the room, so lets jump right to it :p
YASrmBr.png

pzW2fCX.png

One GregTech Fusion reactor toroid. (And yes that took fricking ages to craft all those Advanced Machine Casings for all the Carpenter's Slopes :p, even with top OCed Blast furnaces...)

The reactor is running on Deuterium and Tritium. More on that later.

The reactor powers itself with 2x Plasma Generators:
b1QGspl.png

In the foreground is an AESU used during startup. It can be engaged with the Splitter Cable with a lever through the Redstone conduit.

Bit of hidden "magic":
2ffiYxo.png

Replaced the ExtraCells fluid busses with EnderIO conduits and ExtraCells Fluid Interfaces to make it look better. A bit of information on a Nuclear Control Advanced Information Panel as well.

Control booth:
oAxxvLI.png

Small control area with levers to control various power options as well as information on key factors. Plasma and both types of fuel levels shown on the Extra Cells Fluid Storage Monitors.

Speaking of fuel, the fuel refining area:
wChhMsy.png

THIS is the reason why I didn't want to add all this to my base. The footprint of the fuel refining line is quite substantial.

First a little ME hub area:
cSFiJy6.png

Main base network is the White to the right, the totally isolated fuel refining network is the blue to the left. The only interaction between the networks is the main network exporting water into the fuel network(which is done through a BC tank because apparently ExtraCells Fluid export bus on a Fluid Interface with a Fluid level emitter links the two networks).

52 Industrial Electrolyzers (Water->Electrolyzed Water)
n7T5aOm.png

Math says 48 is enough, but had problems with the router not distributing the cells completely evenly. So added more cells to the system and added 4 more Electrolyzers to make sure it can keep up.

59 Industrial Centrifuges(Hydrogen->Deuterium)
5sJxfpC.png

118 was actually needed, but decided to overclock these(was possible due to low power usage) to halve amount.

12 Industrial Centrifuges(Deuterium->Tritium), 4 Industrial Electrolyzers(Electrolyzed Water->Hydrogen):
HZOzCzA.png

Again overclocked the Centrifuges to halve the amount needed.
Also in the picture is an Automatic Canning Machine to empty Compressed Air Cells(oxygen is an unwanted biproduct) and 2x Fluid Transposers to empty Tritium and Deuterium out into the ME network so it can be stored and eventually "piped" into the reactor.

Well, what about the power?
tAieMcH.png

Because we are on another dimension, the power produced have to be teleported out of here somehow. I could have simply exported the Plasma into the main ME network and then done the power generation on location, but THIS is the power plant!
Initially I had planned to use ME P2P tunnels, and I had actually built it all on both sides before I noticed a bug with it(it seems to only allow half of the throughput through the tunnel no matter what I do).
So I ended up coming up with this far more interesting and fun solution :p

The reactor outputs enough plasma to supply 16 Plasma Generators(15.5)(each generating 2048EU/t).
2 will be dedicated to running the Reactor it self, 3.5ish are dedicated to the fuel line. That leaves a constant supply of about 10 Plasma generators worth as pure output.

However I have decided to divide the output up into groups(to fit my needs around my bases) and because some of these groups does not have a constant high demand, I have instead of 10 Plasma Generators used 20 and then regulated the supply to some of them.

Each of the 5x 8192EU/t groups have a similar setup:
KEFnDmP.png

jUNZEIw.png

4 Plasma Generators supplied from a Fluid Interface(2 of them regulated by a Fluid Level Emitter).
For 4 of them the power is then send into a AESU which serves as a charger for Ultimate Lappacks that are swapped in and out based on charge level. The Lappacks are then put into Ender Chests to be teleported to their destination.

I use AESUs and 2x Ultimate Lappacks in each setup despite their rather high cost because of their high charge and uncharging speed and capacity can easily keep up with the 8192EU/t bandwidth.

The last of the 5 groups is simply charging my IDSU(Inter Dimensional Storage Unit) so that does not need to be teleported anywhere.

Notice "Lift C" and the "Cargo Lift":
MWH5R1A.png

I made sure to place them and the Express Lift exactly in the same location/orientation as back in Overworld to make it seem just like you are just "downstairs".

In reality this is where we are:
Z5Sx7ld.png

Used a Filler to clear and then fill out the top layer of the area(to get rid of oil and sand).

All that remains is to spend all that juicy power back at base:
lGqNQIs.png

Last edited:

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
question, what do you use for the white blocks? I am starting to be tired of my Quartz and could do with a change.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
question, what do you use for the white blocks? I am starting to be tired of my Quartz and could do with a change.
The smooth white ones that I use most of the places is Project Red Marble. The tiled one I just used in the Fusion reactor area is Vanilla Quartz blocks.

Why am I not following you? I think it was because I liked your old avatar :p
o_O
I have been using this avatar since I joined the forum...

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

dragon_fang101

Jul 29, 2019
The smooth white ones that I use most of the places is Project Red Marble. The tiled one I juts used in the Fusion reactor area is Vanilla Quartz blocks.

o_O
I have been using this avatar since I joined the forum...

I think I'm thinking of someone else :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Oh yeah, also added a couple of Laser Drill rigs at the Abyssal base to use Excess power:
2iV8qFi.png

GregTech components underwater = fun :p Managed to pull it off without loosing any IDSUs though.
So far it is not quite enough lol. Might need to add another 4x Plasma Generators to charge another IDSU as my Plasma level keeps rising when I am not using large amounts of power crafting etc. :p