rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Wait. There's a Rain Sensor? You mean I went to all the trouble of making three Golden gates to monitor rain and daylight for no reason? Argh.

The rocket launcher is also fun, if you don't mind fixing holes.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
You should next explain about comparators and counters. Comparators I still haven't quite gotten my head around, but counters are relatively simple.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You should next explain about comparators and counters. Comparators I still haven't quite gotten my head around, but counters are relatively simple.
I chose deliberately not to do those since:
  • The Comparator is a vanilla block that is so well described in so many other places. I suggest that you read the official wiki for information on it. The PR ones only difference is that it is a multipart and can be attached to any surface: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Redstone_Comparator
    The quick rundown: It can in its two states either Compare if an incoming signal strength(0-15 Redstone signal strength) is Larger than a sample signal, or it can subtract the sample signal from the incoming signals strength. It also have a completely different feature where it can measure "Block states" but I again refer to the official wiki for more info on that.
  • The Counter is IMO pretty easily understood and but rarely used. It is basically a RS Latch that can be set to count how many inputs it needs to before it changes states. And it can be set to need different amounts for each state. A common use would be to have it count to a certain number before it turns something on, but have it turn off again with just one signal(a reset signal).
I will update the post with some of this info, but I will not make a full guide for these blocks.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Preparations for the zombie apocalypse Part 2: The flying Zombies

Assistant Director: Sir! Research into repelling these... ehmm.. "theoretical" flying zombies is complete.
CEO RHN: Excellent Bob! Implement it immediately.
Assistant Director: But sir, it is a lot of resources to spend on a completely.. "hypothetical" threat.
CEO RHN: We can never be too careful Bob! Baaaaaaaaaa!
Assistant Director: Ehhh, what was that?
CEO RHN: What do you mean Bob?
Assistant Director: Never mind, sir. Implementing new defensive measures.

New towers erected:
Kd8AQWp.png

But what is the purpose of these towers you might wonder?

(sorry for poor fps even with only Normal view distance. Rendering my entire base + forming/dissipating shield + recording does that to my ageing PC :p)

Power being distributed from the central tower:
q1GAJ9R.png

Each tower also holds a GT Lightning Rod(only installed in 3 so far). So far they have not produced a single EU... I guess a perfect way to stop the constant rain and thunder is to build a lot of lightning rods lol :p Have the tip of the Iron Fences sticking up through the Force Field so it looks like the lightning rods actually absorbs lightning away from the forcefield when it is on.

Seen from the outside with a larger view distance:
iYdlzyg.png

MXPYQqF.png

PBrp5vK.png

Bit of infrastructure for the force fields:
qsiuzrs.png

This Coercion Deriver powers all the shields except the large dome up on the mountain top(that has its own dedicated setup due to power draw and distance from others). The wireless redstone stuff on the left is simply to be able to toggle it with the Remote(pulse transfered into ON/OFF state with Toggle Latch.
This is all sloppily thrown down on the floor so far, but will do something about that when I eventually figure out what to do with this small disc I guess.

Oh btw: I don't recommend doing something like this to this extend on a multiplayer server unless you are on a very good standing with the server owner :p. It greatly increased the memory used, to the point where I can now used up to 4GB by my self on my dedicated server. But it is not so bad if I just don't use it and it is a cool gimmick to be able to use ;)

Last edited:

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
I feel pathetic. My choice of defense is lots and lots of van de graffs. But you just stop them before they get close.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
That's pretty epic. The most interesting thing I used MFFS for was back in 1.5 when I set one up with a creative power and used it to shield my base from rain. Worked fine until the boiler exploded. :D

I'm curious, what power source is that plugged into?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That's pretty epic. The most interesting thing I used MFFS for was back in 1.5 when I set one up with a creative power and used it to shield my base from rain. Worked fine until the boiler exploded. :D

I'm curious, what power source is that plugged into?
Just my regular RF network. Rather surprised how little power it draws. And by little I mean EXTREMELY small amounts of power. All the smaller force fields(all of them except the big one on the mountain top) runs of approx 90RF/t total. Dunno if TPPI is using some special low config settings(I would think not), but that seems almost OP. Might look into it later to see if I can change it in the configs.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Preparations for the zombie apocalypse Part 2: The flying Zombies

Assistant Director: Sir! Research into repelling these... ehmm.. "theoretical" flying zombies is complete.
CEO RHN: Excellent Bob! Implement it immediately.
Assistant Director: But sir, it is a lot of resources to spend on a completely.. "hypothetical" threat.
CEO RHN: We can never be too careful Bob! Baaaaaaaaaa!
Assistant Director: Ehhh, what was that?
CEO RHN: What do you mean Bob?
Assistant Director: Never mind, sir. Implementing new defensive measures.

New towers erected:
Kd8AQWp.png

But what is the purpose of these towers you might wonder?

(sorry for poor fps even with only Normal view distance. Rendering my entire base + forming/dissipating shield + recording does that to my ageing PC :p)

Power being distributed from the central tower:
q1GAJ9R.png

Each tower also holds a GT Lightning Rod(only installed in 3 so far). So far they have not produced a single EU... I guess a perfect way to stop the constant rain and thunder is to build a lot of lightning rods lol :p Have the tip of the Iron Fences sticking up through the Force Field so it looks like the lightning rods actually absorbs lightning away from the forcefield when it is on.

iYdlzyg.png

MXPYQqF.png

PBrp5vK.png

Bit of infrastructure for the force fields:
qsiuzrs.png

This Coercion Deriver powers all the shields except the large dome up on the mountain top(that has its own dedicated setup due to power draw and distance from others). The wireless redstone stuff on the left is simply to be able to toggle it with the Remote(pulse transfered into ON/OFF state with Toggle Latch.
This is all sloppily thrown down on the floor so far, but will do something about that when I eventually figure out what to do with this small disc I guess.

Oh btw: I don't recommend doing something like this to this extend on a multiplayer server unless you are on a very good standing with the server owner :p. It greatly increased the memory used, to the point where I can now used up to 4GB by my self on my dedicated server. But it is not so bad if I just don't use it and it is a cool gimmick to be able to use ;)

I keep pressing the like/unlike button so I can keep liking this post

Jackcat136

Jul 29, 2019
Just my regular RF network. Rather surprised how little power it draws. And by little I mean EXTREMELY small amounts of power. All the smaller force fields(all of them except the big one on the mountain top) runs of approx 90RF/t total. Dunno if TPPI is using some special low config settings(I would think not), but that seems almost OP. Might look into it later to see if I can change it in the configs.
I thought you were bragging, I read it as 90KRF/t. Only 90RF for one of those monsters? WANT

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Inner peace and tranquility

CEO RHN: Ahh Bob, how are things?
Assistant Director: Sir, I am a bit worried about you. Are you okay?
CEO RHN: Bleeep! Oh! Hi Bob, didn't see you there. How are you doing?
Assistant Director: Ehm hi, sir. *Confused look* Sir, I would like to suggest we focus resources into building a place where you can relax a bit and get some rest. I think this zombie "incident" might have been a bit taxing on you.
CEO RHN: Nonsense Bob, I feel fine! Baaaaaaa!
Assistant Director: Well... would you mind if we build such a place anyway? You know... for the rest of us? Some of the boys are getting a bit stressed.
CEO RHN: Of course not, go right ahead. Only the best for our workers!
Assistant Director: Yes sir, right away. And by the way, I am sure the boys would love to see you come down there once in a while once it is finished. Just to see you in less formal situations, you know?
CEO RHN: Ahh you think of everything Bob! I will make sure to make a point of it.
Assistant Director: *Leaves room with sly smile* Excellent, sir. Will start construction immediately.

Pathway leading from the Atrium disc over to the water reservoir:
4XQWu9Z.png

Took the opportunity to make an observation platform overseeing the bee area.

Cue the Yueqin and Guqin music:
WvrVPJM.png

(yes I googled those names :p Only knew then as those Chinese guitar thingies)

dLM4V85.png

AD20krB.png

HlsSaRW.png

Planning a larger park area. You might have noticed hints of something up on the hilltop on the last picture. More to come on that later I hope.

EDIT: Couldn't exactly end it without at least one night-time shot, could I?
QYeTxOM.png

Last edited:

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
iYdlzyg.png
Well sir i give you this, you came first showing this on larger scale. I had this idea for long time. I did catch the towers on previous screens and was hoping for this. Now i can see that its working. (and i must say working "beautifully" on your build!) You sir full-filled my old dream... thanks for that. Also for entertaining by various of high quality builds and ideas while i am silent. ;)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Cannot seem to stick to one project atm. Doesn't really feel inspired for any one of them in particular. So alternating between several, started a few new ones, and generally just being indecisive :p

Cramped in a small greenhouse for the Essence Berry bushes:
ToMf2KX.png

Have been cave exploring a bit over the months when I was bored and this is the fruits of that:
c4yEOgK.png

It is on the list to set up some OpenBlocks enchanting stuff to take advantage of this. Just not in a rush as I got Enchanted books in the hundreds or thousands in the ME network from the Auto-Enchanter :p (it is automatically disposing of excess Mob Essence generated by the animal farm. Fluid Level Emitter).

Build a "back door" to the bunker on the other side of the mountain:
DHFvz6m.png

It comes out right next to the "desert ruin" archaeological dig/bee base:
JaFlnmf.png

Was asked for a guide how to make the original bunker entrance gate. So took this opportunity to record the important bits for anyone interested:
Using the same "Sequenced Motion" redstone logics as I mentioned earlier in the Project red miniguide.

Quite long tunnel to the other side:
gOzH6va.png

So far looks a bit empty and sad. Thinking up some ideas for that atm. Probably going to involve some protected walkways and garages for cargo container "trucks".

Updated the main cargo elevator:
BIG5Big.png

This is the main(only one really) cargo entry into the base proper. The security booth next to the elevator got a Minecart tramway station as well as a OpenBlocks Elevator(leading up to Salination plants, upper level of the cargo elevator and the Atrium disc).
The gate in the far left is the original gate I built(just outside is the Essence Berry greenhouse).
Strange to think back that this is the exact spot where I started out in a cobble/dirt cave :p Ladder leading down to my early game branchmining is actually just paved over somewhere outside the security booth :)

Skipping to a whole other project once again:
Needed more Lilypads of Fertility and since TPPI have Xeno's integrated into TC, that involves a LOT of wand recharging. Getting so tired of running back and forward, standing there waiting that I decided it was time to automate the process.
cJiOnJE.png

Now this is not exactly easy since it is hard to distinguish between a full wand and one that just lacks some vis. But I came up with something that seems like it works.
  • A ME Fuzzy Export bus is set to export the wands into the recharger. This will export the wands with ANY vis levels including the full ones.
  • A ME Precise Import Bus is set to import from the recharger, filtered with only the full wands. This will result in it only pulling them out once they are full.
On its own this will not work very well as it will constantly cycle the wands in and out once they get full. So we need another part.

MXI4LJs.png

Next to my Arcane Work table I set up a chest. On this chest I attached a ME Storage Bus set to "Insert Only", a high priority and with the full wands filtered. This means that as soon as the wands are imported into the ME network from the recharger(now full) they will get stored here. But since the Storage bus is "Insert Only" they cannot get pushed into the recharger again.

I could have stopped here and simply dropped the empty wands into the normal ME inventory when I wanted them recharged, but I decided I wanted to use the same chest for that as well. To be able to pull all the vis configurations except full out of the chest, I simply used a Itemduct with a servo extracting items into a ME interface. In it I Blacklisted the full wands and set it to use NBT.

Now any drained wands will be pulled out of the chest by the Itemduct, placed in normal ME inventory, Exported into recharger by Fuzzy bus, recharged, imported by precise bus and stored in chest by Storage bus.

I crafted myself a total of 5 Thaumium capped Silverwood wands to keep in rotation. Used them for the very quick and efficient crafting... Well until I drained all my nodes out completely. Guess gathering more nodes is on the list for "really bored brainless things to do".

Another small TC related optimization:
Mvmm0ee.png

I am using Hoppers like most others to input stacks of items into the Pedestals. Makes crafting many items in a row much easier as well as protecting against accidents(though I never really get those with this many Crystal clusters :p). But I hate cleaning up after it, having to empty out all those Pedestals and Hoppers. So I have connected Itemducts to every Pedestal and Hopper(You can spot them under the Hoppers) and run Project Red wires along them all(ducts and wires are both forge multiblock compatible in 1.6.4 so they can run in the same block:D).
So now when I am done crafting I can simply push this button and have everything get collected in this chest. Man I wish I had invested the time to do this earlier. :p

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm scratching my head about those white block you're using for the floor in your Thaumcraft room. It's just what I'd want for some of my walls, but I can't find it. What is it? It looks like some sort of marble, but I'm pretty sure I don't have that version. Hmm...I haven't tried whitestone blocks with this texture pack - that would be bad, because those can't be made into AE cable facades.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'm scratching my head about those white block you're using for the floor in your Thaumcraft room. It's just what I'd want for some of my walls, but I can't find it. What is it? It looks like some sort of marble, but I'm pretty sure I don't have that version. Hmm...I haven't tried whitestone blocks with this texture pack - that would be bad, because those can't be made into AE cable facades.
It is the exact same marble as I use everywhere else: Project Red "Marble". It can be found spawning in ravines, but I am feeding all my chisel(I think) marble through a Unifier to get it into this as well(the other marble is set to spawn freely in the ground so Quarry picks up loads of that). The Chisel "Chisel" will swap it as well.
Hmm.....I seem to recall it looks different in my world. We are using the same texture pack, right (Soartex)?
Yeah Soartex Fanver, but the Quarried Blocks are the grey tiles you can see on the floor in the bunker entrance tunnel for example.

Reactions: legionite626

Jackcat136

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe in the very blank hallway you could put a bunch of shops and info booths and stuff. What I would do personally, but then again, you are the far better builder ;)