rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
TPPI (Test Pack Please Ignore), and he's removed a bunch of mods, but I don't remember where the post is detailing the ones removed.

Reactions: rhn

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Nah, just setting the bar so that we ( more appropriately *I* since I do not presume to speak for you :) ) have something to strive for ;)
I agree with this and your previous sentiment entirely - very very inspiring stuff! Shows just what you can do if you put your mind to it!

EDIT: @rhn - would you ever consider showing us any pictures of your awesome base under the default texture pack? It would be really interesting to see how awesome it can look even with normal 16x16 textures!

Last edited:
Reactions: Funky Ghost

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
@rhn - would you ever consider showing us any pictures of your awesome base under the default texture pack? It would be really interesting to see how awesome it can look even with normal 16x16 textures!
Default textures? Blasphemy! The looks of Minecraft is Soartex!

:p

cwhAaPg.png

bEHmjUn.png

DDJmg3l.png

8WAHfOJ.png

YrWD7Cz.png

VcYZCCk.png

It is not at all "optimized" for this(blocks were not chosen to match each other with these textures), but I think it works pretty well. Much better than I would have hoped for :p

Funky Ghost

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree. I've "dabbled" in other resource packs over the last 6 months but soartex fanver is my go to. I was sad the next iteration of soartex ( a collaboration with another modder) was, well it wasn't for me.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Default textures? Blasphemy! The looks of Minecraft is Soartex!

:p

cwhAaPg.png

bEHmjUn.png

DDJmg3l.png

8WAHfOJ.png

YrWD7Cz.png

VcYZCCk.png

It is not at all "optimized" for this(blocks were not chosen to match each other with these textures), but I think it works pretty well. Much better than I would have hoped for :p
That looks absolutely awesome! :D definitely works in vanilla - thanks @rhn!

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
May I ask which blocks you're using for those stone tiles that make up your factory floors? I keep looking for something that looks somewhat modern but not super-clean. RC tank walls are good for some machine casings, and I use Chisel's marble for many non-industrial structures but I can't find a good mix of style and function appropriate for factory floors and walls. I have an unlimited supply of clay but standard brick is too old-fashioned, many of Chisel's stone variants have too much embossing and its laboratory blocks are too clean. Of course I'm on a different resource pack than you, since Soartex appears to be behind in 1.7 mod support and I don't like the look of some very common blocks, namely dirt and water. Still, I'd like to know. For now I'm using Chisel's "poisoned" smoothstone variant for floors which is good for light industry but doesn't look good with heavy industry like reactor buildings and refineries.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm a big fan of Chisel Factory blocks for heavy industrial look. Mix in the grate tiles with the brown metal pieces and the ones with rivets.
They are nice, I just wish they weren't so... brown, you know? Still, there are lots of options :) Chisel has awesomeness.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm a big fan of Chisel Factory blocks for heavy industrial look. Mix in the grate tiles with the brown metal pieces and the ones with rivets.
I've tried these. For the metal platings, I have two colors: rusty brown and some kind of dark cyan/green. No iron grey. I have some applications for such, but as a general style they don't work. The grate is good for walkways and some other machine components though.

The iron block variants look very good, but then.....building with iron blocks is a tad expensive. Also, good for machine casings, but not so much for factory floors and walls.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
May I ask which blocks you're using for those stone tiles that make up your factory floors? I keep looking for something that looks somewhat modern but not super-clean. RC tank walls are good for some machine casings, and I use Chisel's marble for many non-industrial structures but I can't find a good mix of style and function appropriate for factory floors and walls. I have an unlimited supply of clay but standard brick is too old-fashioned, many of Chisel's stone variants have too much embossing and its laboratory blocks are too clean. Of course I'm on a different resource pack than you, since Soartex appears to be behind in 1.7 mod support and I don't like the look of some very common blocks, namely dirt and water. Still, I'd like to know. For now I'm using Chisel's "poisoned" smoothstone variant for floors which is good for light industry but doesn't look good with heavy industry like reactor buildings and refineries.
The grey stone/concrete tile looking blocks are the RC Quarried blocks. I quite like them but do intend to go back and add more detailing to the areas. But it is easy to just initially plaster it all in the Quarried blocks to make it look somewhat like a concrete building :p
It is a bit of a PITA to gather however since I have to go mine it manually in the overworld. Spawns in large veins in forest biomes. I can super quick gather loads of them with Advanced diamond drill in big holes mode, but it still takes effort.

Funky Ghost

Jul 29, 2019
Making concrete isn't too hard and with chisel you are able to fade them. It's a fantastic look for a wall around a base or a weathered building. I've used them on one base. I don't think that game save is around but it really is a good look.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Making concrete isn't too hard and with chisel you are able to fade them. It's a fantastic look for a wall around a base or a weathered building. I've used them on one base. I don't think that game save is around but it really is a good look.
Yeah I know you can make concrete of name, but just don't like the looks of it with Soartex :p
I think the Quarried blocks looks more like concrete than they do tbh.

Funky Ghost

Jul 29, 2019
Really? I actually liked the look ( with chisel to make the other two bits progressively darker ) and I only use soartex as well :D We are under siege for that it seems!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Really? I actually liked the look ( with chisel to make the other two bits progressively darker ) and I only use soartex as well :D We are under siege for that it seems!
Well it kinda depended on what I was building. If it was something more weathered and older, then I would probably go with the chisel concrete. But for this I try and go for a brighter more techy/scifi feel.