rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Working heavily inspired by two rather iconic spaceship bridges as you might have spotted(OK one is not that obvious yet). Hopefully more on this later.
Hrm. I can't spot the spaceship bridges.

Best I can come up with is a star destroyer.

Hoping you'll incorporate some battlestar galactica tactical as well though, especially since your ship looks a bit like a gigantic cylon one.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hrm. I can't spot the spaceship bridges.

Best I can come up with is a star destroyer.

Hoping you'll incorporate some battlestar galactica tactical as well though, especially since your ship looks a bit like a gigantic cylon one.
Hehe, dunno if that mean I failed or because I succeeded in applying my personal touch :p

Main inspiration was the Executor bridge from Star Wars:
Executorbridge.jpg

But going to combine it a bit with something like the raised commanders platform from the Mass Effects Normandy. I think. That part is still being thought up :p

Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hehe, dunno if that mean I failed or because I succeeded in applying my personal touch :p
Mostly its because my SW lore is foggy; I remembered that as a star destroyer not a executor-class dreadnaught.
I'll console myself with having gotten it partly right.

PS: I still can't believe how well those old sets hold up, damn it looks good.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Mostly its because my SW lore is foggy; I remembered that as a star destroyer not a executor-class dreadnaught.
I'll console myself with having gotten it partly right.

PS: I still can't believe how well those old sets hold up, damn it looks good.
The huge clunky consoles they sit by down the "trenches" might not be "up to date". But yeah, looks damn good still!

Hoping to replace the consoles etc. down those pits with something more like this:
405439-mass-effect-xbox-360-screenshot-on-the-bridge-of-the-normandys.jpg

Reactions: Pyure

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
Hey rhn!
I love this journal of yours. It is very refreshing and a blast to follow, both for the entertainment and for the learning. I got so much planned and lots of the inspiration is drawn from you!

Can I challenge you in making a lighting system with EnderIO powered lights, making it toggle able based on a day/night cycle, a global switch and a local switch. I've heard that the light level is 10 so it is quite decent. But you and I share the love for thinking in intricate systems and you'd like the power sink that system might bring. This also means adding the EnderIO crafting to the auto crafting which too is another power sink and system to set up! :-D

Take away those boring wrath lamps and make a fun system out of it! :-D

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hey rhn!
I love this journal of yours. It is very refreshing and a blast to follow, both for the entertainment and for the learning. I got so much planned and lots of the inspiration is drawn from you!

Can I challenge you in making a lighting system with EnderIO powered lights, making it toggle able based on a day/night cycle, a global switch and a local switch. I've heard that the light level is 10 so it is quite decent. But you and I share the love for thinking in intricate systems and you'd like the power sink that system might bring. This also means adding the EnderIO crafting to the auto crafting which too is another power sink and system to set up! :-D

Take away those boring wrath lamps and make a fun system out of it! :-D
Thanks

Ehm I have thought about using the EnderIO lights. I like the idea of having to power them, but it sort of comes down to the fact of how they look when incorporated into the build. I will probably give it a go when I go over it all with more detail.
Turning them on and off might be a bit of a stretch. Considered doing it in some areas (where natural light comes in through skylights). Also considdered turning lights on and off with Entity detectors, but as long as they cant detection ranges that arent centered around them, it becomes really hard to do proper detection(having a hard enough time with doors opening when you are on wrong floors). But else I think I will just stick with them being on all the time. Also rather hard to run wires to all lamps without it looking really large and clunky, even with Project red wires and EnderIO.

Ehm the Wrath lamps I am using are purely temporary(a means of just lighting up the large caverns inside the ship until I fill in something. As I go I replace them with other means of lighting(usually Project Red illumination stuff combined with microblocks).

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks

Ehm I have thought about using the EnderIO lights. I like the idea of having to power them, but it sort of comes down to the fact of how they look when incorporated into the build. I will probably give it a go when I go over it all with more detail.
Turning them on and off might be a bit of a stretch. Considered doing it in some areas (where natural light comes in through skylights). Also considdered turning lights on and off with Entity detectors, but as long as they cant detection ranges that arent centered around them, it becomes really hard to do proper detection(having a hard enough time with doors opening when you are on wrong floors). But else I think I will just stick with them being on all the time. Also rather hard to run wires to all lamps without it looking really large and clunky, even with Project red wires and EnderIO.

Ehm the Wrath lamps I am using are purely temporary(a means of just lighting up the large caverns inside the ship until I fill in something. As I go I replace them with other means of lighting(usually Project Red illumination stuff combined with microblocks).
Use the whatever they are called EnderIO facade blocks and EnderIO Redstone and energy conduits, to make it very compact and invisible :) no hassle

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Use the whatever they are called EnderIO facade blocks and EnderIO Redstone and energy conduits, to make it very compact and invisible :) no hassle
For walls maybe, but not for free hanging lamps etc.

I don't know if this is the case for EnderIO facades, but there is also things like light penetration to consider. Usually blocks that aren't full solid blocks(like microblocks, BC facades etc.) will allow light through, messing up lighting.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
had some further experimentation with the Powered lights and the EnderIO Conduit Facades. Problem is that the Powered light really can only be powered by the EnderIO conduits if they are to be powered and supplied with redstone signal. And the EnderIO conduits facades are only able to show the same block on all its faces.

Take for example this corridor:
mUtWAlD.png

If I were to use the Powered Lights anywhere it would be on the ceiling, but problem is that the ceiling is made up of a single block of Stone(the outer hull of the ship) and a Quartz microblock Cover. With neither the Lights or the conduits being microblock compatible I cannot see any way of achieving it.

Had the lamps and conduits been microblock compatible I would have been all over them! They just become really complicated to use with my quite compact building style(walls etc. are very thin with little room to spare for things like this).

On a side note I don't really think corridors like this needs more lighting either :p

Tsori

Jul 29, 2019
With you using all those quartz microblocks wont that be adding to the accumilated FPS drop you could hit later on? I realise your trying to avoid having to delete the build (something you andi share, leading to alot of my builds being designed around not using various mods/blocks to avoid lag) microblocks USED (ive only just got back into playing since 1.4) to cause such fps issues when used in large amounts, im guessing by your use this is no longer an issue?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
With you using all those quartz microblocks wont that be adding to the accumilated FPS drop you could hit later on? I realise your trying to avoid having to delete the build (something you andi share, leading to alot of my builds being designed around not using various mods/blocks to avoid lag) microblocks USED (ive only just got back into playing since 1.4) to cause such fps issues when used in large amounts, im guessing by your use this is no longer an issue?
Ehm I think the great performance hit that you would experience when using large amounts of microblocks in 1.4 and 1.6 versions were due to the fact that the microblocks were being shaded and caused all kinds of lighting calculations. To my best knowledge this is no longer the case with the Forge Multi Parts. But on the other hand using a lot of multiblocks does mean you potentially could have many more individual objects on screen, each needing larger degree of information for their location etc. So I do believe that microblocks will cause a higher impact on performance than for example just a normal solid block.

But despite how big an impact it will cause, this is what I play for. Building cool stuff with for example microblocks and now also Carpenters blocks. When I mentioned earlier that I try and keep resource loads of reactors etc. at a minimum(while still being fun), it is so I can build with Microblocks etc. I really don't find much fun in just building with normal blocks and stairs etc. any more.

Tsori

Jul 29, 2019
Understandable, im loving carpenters blocks although im limiting my over-use of them for a similar reason. I may have to give microblocks a bit more attention then if they are now better optimised

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
@rhn take a look at this video and get some inspiration off out.

My idea is that add long as you have an ME network closeby, you can easily power the EIO conduits and send Redstone currents to the Redstone conduits with P2P.

I don't say you have to do it. All to their own eh :) just think it would be cool to see your take on it.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
@rhn take a look at this video and get some inspiration off out.

My idea is that add long as you have an ME network closeby, you can easily power the EIO conduits and send Redstone currents to the Redstone conduits with P2P.

I don't say you have to do it. All to their own eh :) just think it would be cool to see your take on it.
My problem is just that I in most places simply do not have the thickness of ceilings to run conduits to the lights. Guy in the video live in a brick tower and dont mind that the ceiling of one floor is the same as the floor on another. I just cant have the inside of my halls be the same material as the outside hull of my ship.

I might be able to use them in the "bowels" of the ship once I get around to making it, but tbh I am not that much in love with the looks of the lights for that. So think I am going to wait and see if another possibility to use them arises.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Felt in the mood to do a bit of decoration:
OXgMCEd.png

f2xIIV1.png

NxdXH8d.png

The blue "pillars" in the corner is actually "Fluid Display"s from Random Things set to flowing water(it is actually animated as flowing water). This give the illusion of water flowing down a surface very nicely.
It is super easy to use: craft the blocks, place them, click with a bucket of the fluid you wish to mimic. If you wish to shift between still and flowing mode just right+click with bare hands.

I have another identical "hub" on the other side of the ship. Debating with myself atm whether to do a copy of this or perhaps do another theme like "desert plants" etc. for that hub.

You can see the location of the "hub" along with most other things here:
JR80BbU.png

Screenshot of the Zan's map with cave mode on.

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
But you can change the facade blocks to any other block with the Painter.

Anyway, great job on the decoration! The water decoration idea was beautiful.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I would totally love to see a video of your base when you feel like it's good enough to make a video for it
I will definitely consider that once I can take more than 10 steps without seeing something that isn't finished yet :p