rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Turn signals? Or didja mean blinders, like horse wear?

AvGwCN7.gif

Reactions: pc_assassin

Miranda

Jul 29, 2019
Dude, I just love this thread. The pictures and explanations, awesome!

Do you run you world on your computer or on a small host? Whats the config of the host? Do you suffer with graphical lag? What about tick lag?

Which mods did you add / remove from the pack? Last, but not least, why don't you record some videos for us? Like a let's play or something...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Dude, I just love this thread. The pictures and explanations, awesome!

Do you run you world on your computer or on a small host? Whats the config of the host? Do you suffer with graphical lag? What about tick lag?

Which mods did you add / remove from the pack? Last, but not least, why don't you record some videos for us? Like a let's play or something...
So far I have been running it on my own computer, but the world is getting a bit unwieldy for that. After a couple hours running I am starting to get some serious fps degradation so considering either having it hosted elsewhere or setting it up on a server. That way my own PC would only have to deal with the rendering etc.

I have absolutely no tick lag issues. I just yesterday ran OPIS to test everything out and everything was just fine.

I have removed Dyetrees, Mimicry and qCraft as the main big ones. I added Gravisuite, Carpenters blocks, Gravitygun, Redstone in Motion and the mini IC2E recipe fixer mod. Made a detailed list of the mods in a earlier post.

I will consider recording some videos to show of the build later once it is more polished. And for a LP it would be extremely boring to watch me do the same thing with microblocks etc. for hours on end. I am also not a fan of LPs myself(why watch someone play when you can play yourself), and anything else would require a ton of editing that I simply don't feel like taking away from building.

Miranda

Jul 29, 2019
Meh... Maybe not a LP, deffo takes a lot of time.

I was thinking about a World Tour or something, you know? I expressed myself poorly, hehe.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Meh... Maybe not a LP, deffo takes a lot of time.

I was thinking about a World Tour or something, you know? I expressed myself poorly, hehe.
Yeah I somewhat plan to do something like that, but atm my base etc. are still somewhat disjointed and full of holes and unfinished bits. Later when corridors and rooms in key areas are in place maybe.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ok been a while since the last update, but have been working hard at what I am about to show you for a long time and wanted it to be somewhat finished before posting anything.

Time to get some Nuclear IC2 power running:
qsO7yy4.png

One of the first things I needed to do was get the fuel enrichment process set up. Now since all the materials in this process are radioactive I thought: Why not make it in a separate secure location with localized ME networks etc. I guess it was somewhat a RP thing as well, could have just used the setup I already have and just made sure to always wear Hazmat gear when handling fuel etc. But why not go full out and build some cool housings for it all and play it a little bit realistic.

So before entering the Fuel lab you have to pass through this "airlock".
NJrqk56.png

Also serves as airlock for the coming MOX-reactor(s) that I have planned to be housed in the "main reactor sphere" I have showed earlier(its where the cyan lights are on the picture above). And since I sort of ran out of space it also serves as entry for the main IC2 power distribution hub(where power from sources come in, goes into MFSUs and then get distributed out on different coloured cables to different parts of the base). Here I can then swap to my Hazmat suit should I need to handle fuel or go near the (to come) hot MOX reactor.

Made a little control panel for the airlock after attempting to "redstone circuit" all four doors out :p(all doors close except the one you choose to sort of simulate it being an airlock).
owRKADn.png

Going into the fuel lab:
tzGLXGw.png

Tried to go for the "clean room" looks here with grated floors and ceilings.

Got the IC2 enrichment step set up on the left with the Uranium ore going into Macerator->Orewashing plant->Thermal Centrifuge->Cyclic assembler->Canning Machine and comes out as Uranium Fuel rods. Since there was space for it I decided to place my Cyanite Reprocessor here as well(to make fuel(Blutonium) out of Big Reactor waste(Cyanite)). It is not actually radioactive or anything, but it just really fitted the theme.

JnoK07f.png

Other side of the room with the subnetwork controller and ME chest for storage. Also shows the exchange of items to and from the subnetwork(stone dust and tiny pile of lead going out of subnetwork, Uranium ore imported from the main network once Fuel rod level drops too low).

Ok lets head to the other side of the corridor:
qfUrMCh.png

First thing you enter is the control booth:
wKgG4n4.png

The setup is made up of 16 simple Mark I Nuclear reactors generating each 100EU/t. The control booth sports a Information panel for each of them(I named them after the colour channel I use to control them, you will see later). Under the floor are Remote Thermal Monitors, one for each reactor, keeping check of the temperature of each just to be safe :p.
A ComputerCraft computer then correlates the signals from the Thermal monitors, a Range trigger monitoring Eu storage and a master switch and then controls each reactor individually.
From the building phase:
UWx5L1x.png

Opposite view from the control booth.
lTEo1Ii.png

Going outside into the reactor hall:
ReVTdXP.png

Control booth seen from outside:
pl1oEKJ.png

Heading up the nearby ladder we get up to the walkway at the top of the basins:
XmMUnGT.png

CAHt7uX.png

First 10 of the reactors:
qAF6OtW.png

Last 6 reactors:
dUmbz96.png

Must point out that the water used to have a cooling effect in earlier IC2 versions, but it does not any more. I am purely doing this for the visual aspect of it.

Each reactor will automatically be restocked with Uranium cells from the Fuel lab sub-network and depleted cells removed and stored in the fuel lab for further use in RTG/MOX fuel. This way there is actually nothing radiative present in the reactor hall.

MFSU:
jHJjJ79.png

Power generated from the reactors is directed into this MFSU and reactors are then controlled after the energy levels of this MFSU(the Range Trigger mentioned earlier is reading this MFSU). Power is then send from here to the Power distribution hub where it is send out to the different machines etc. requiring it.

Oh and if anyone wonders: No the Reinforced stone basins wont really contain any explosions should there be some accident. It was more a matter of feeling that I wanted to use them cause they were meant for this kind of thing and then kinda liking the textures as well. And should anything happen(very unlikely with the reactor setup being 100% safe, having thermal monitors etc on them) the Reinforced stone wont hurt :p

Bonus shots:
"Casting" the basins:
eJvtzHQ.png

Really love the "new" CF process of making Reinforced stone :p

Suiting up to "prime" the reactors:
N6Bvmgj.png

Miranda

Jul 29, 2019
Dude.... I'm in love with your base, like seriously. I know I'm unable to make such beatiful designs... Even tho I do understand the game mechanics and feel secure enough to aumtoate anything... I'm just unable to create something nearly as beautiful as this...

You totally need to record a world tour for us!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Dude.... I'm in love with your base, like seriously. I know I'm unable to make such beatiful designs... Even tho I do understand the game mechanics and feel secure enough to aumtoate anything... I'm just unable to create something nearly as beautiful as this...

You totally need to record a world tour for us!
Thanks.
Honestly I think anyone can build nice looking things. But it does take some investment of time to do so. Just getting familiar with how the different available blocks looks is a daunting task. And then getting to know which of them can be made into microblocks/BC covers etc.(sure you can modify the configs to include those blocks missing, but never really bothered to myself :p).

I would strongly recommend building a large room somewhere underground or something and just slowly filling it with samples of the different kinds of blocks you discover to be nice for building. Or systematically go through NEI and find them all one by one and make a couple of each. Just having a space you can go "shopping" for blocks of a particular colour/texture whenever you feel you need something. And just a space to experiment with different shades of colours and combinations.

Here is my room for that:
U3CjP0I.png

And tbh the microblock aspect, you quickly become so much better at it just by experience. I learned so much at the end of my Unleashed world and here in Monster just by doing. Looking back at my earlier stuff I can now see them as rather crude.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Just updated Soartex and.... Not sure whether to laugh or cry.
Before:
qsO7yy4.png

After:
NMPpxp2.png

Looks like someone decided to change the Geostrata texture all of a sudden...
I only have about a million of those placed. And god knows how many microblock parts of them...

Not sure I am against the logic of the change... But the prospect of changing all those blocks and microblocks into MC "Block of Quartz" alternatives now is just...

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Man, that sucks :( But why not use the older version of Soartex?
I could and probably will use the old texture. But keeping up with the newer versions of Soartex has some major perks of getting new textures added(specially in the Chisel block department). So going to have to modify the new versions to use the old texture(already modifying the texture pack a bit by adding some textures for IC2/Gravisuite armours). But this will however mean that anyone who I share the world with wont get the same experience as I got...

Reactions: Skvapter and E_DM_B

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
Great couple of updates @rhn ! I approve of RP building, it makes things much more interesting and fun to look at. I wish more LPers/pic throughs did the same.

Also, I really like your idea of a "window shopping" room for blocks and inspiration. Keep it up!

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Awesome base, rhn. May I ask how you did those airlock doors and the metal grates on the floor?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Awesome base, rhn. May I ask how you did those airlock doors and the metal grates on the floor?
Yeah the doors are done by use of TiCo drawbridges and often Entity detectors(sometimes overwritten by other means like the CC computer script or Project Red redstone circuits). The block used is Strengthened Glass(Railcraft I think) which by default will only form connected textures vertically.

And the metal grates are indeed a Chisel factory block. In places where I don't want it to form connected textures I use microblocks(just slabs for example in the fuel lab) of it instead of full sized blocks.

Reactions: Tompa974

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yeah the doors are done by use of TiCo drawbridges and often Entity detectors(sometimes overwritten by other means like the CC computer script or Project Red redstone circuits). The block used is Strengthened Glass(Railcraft I think) which by default will only form connected textures vertically.

And the metal grates are indeed a Chisel factory block. In places where I don't want it to form connected textures I use microblocks(just slabs for example in the fuel lab) of it instead of full sized blocks.
Thanks. I'm sure that detail about Strengthened Glass will come in handy somewhere. I wish my texture pack covered Chisel more comprehensively (the grates are all left at 16x) but since I dislike about all the vanilla textures in Soartex I don't have a good alternative.

BTW, I also ran into problems with the latest GeoStrata update. Having to repaint a third of my rooms is no fun.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Last edited: