RedPower news, and thaumcraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I think "having no idea what the hell we're doing" is a really funny aspect of TC3. We're actually venturing in an unknown dimension of alchemy and magic, frumbling is some sort of logic consequence of how TC3 is supposed to be played

One thing I do like about TC3 is that the aspects available on different materials are logical, given the surrounding mythos\developmental locations of the materials, something I've always hated is when an item has something associated with it that makes no damn sense. Some examples, Carrots have the food and sight aspects, due to the old-wives-tale that eating carrots improves eyesight, cobblestone is broken stone so stone\destruction makes a great deal of sense.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, carrots are rich in carotene which, when absorbed, turns into two different kind o A vitamin, really useful for your retinas. So, big surprise, your grandmother was right ;)

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Gah, forum hiccup lost the post I typed.

What I'm wondering about for Thaumcraft and wish there was a wiki for is the mechanics of Aura Nodes, especially their math. For instance, the other three nodes are simple enough but what do the "malevolent" nodes actually do? My big question is whether Aura is a finite resource. From everything I've read, including the Thaumanomicon, it sounds like the recovery of Aura for a node is nothing more than a redistribution of the aura between nearby nodes and the ores. I've yet to encounter anything that adds Aura to the environment, and supposedly (I haven't seen confirmation on how this works) even growing a Silverwood Tree to create a new node pulls Aura from nearby nodes to do so, making it another redistribution. Is there any way for the Aura to truly recover, or do you eventually have to pack up and move once you've inevitably bled a location dry?
I think here's where Mystcraft truly comes in handy ;)

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm loving Mystcraft, yes. I'm not looking for a solution to that right now though, I'm just wondering if my understanding of it is actually correct. It's more curiosity than anything else.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Barrels and Lime dye -> slimeballs are more than worth the price of factorization![DOUBLEPOST=1354558158][/DOUBLEPOST]

Barrels + Routers is sorting bliss. Magic pack is awesome (and a great way to package TC3 with release), but I've been jonesing for some Factorization in my current map :D

ebrentjones

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, carrots are rich in carotene which, when absorbed, turns into two different kind o A vitamin, really useful for your retinas. So, big surprise, your grandmother was right ;)
While a deficiency in vitamin A can cause eye problems, increased consumption of carrots will not improve your eyesight if you are not already deficient. You can thank British Intelligence and the RAF for that particular myth, not your grandmother.

Reactions: Stellastronza

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
While a deficiency in vitamin A can cause eye problems, increased consumption of carrots will not improve your eyesight if you are not already deficient. You can thank British Intelligence and the RAF for that particular myth, not your grandmother.
Also, karotin is responsible for skin pigment. So too many carrots make you orange.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Did not know that, anyway I was just saying that the sight aspect in carrots is not that random ;)

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Interestingly, the root (heh) cause of the myth was the discovery of radar. The British had it, and the german's didn't, so their planes got shot down at a faster rate. The myth was dreamt up to try and divert suspicion away from the discovery, in the hopes that the germans wouldn't look too deeply into the matter.

Stellastronza

Jul 29, 2019
IN turn, too much vit A causes death xD you knew that?