RedPower news, and thaumcraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
We are waiting on RP. We are not waiting on IC2.
But the beta of IC2 is buggy, so waiting longer can only help with it.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
We are waiting on RP. We are not waiting on IC2.
But the beta of IC2 is buggy, so waiting longer can only help with it.

Well, to be fair, Forestry in 1.4.2 is buggy. Carpenters don't recognize any wood for the crate recipe, which kills about 1/2 the practical functionality of Carpenters. I bumped all my mods to 1.4.5 last night and haven't run into any problems with IC2. Of course, after learning about TE, my usage of IC2 dropped like a rock. IC2 stays in my mods folder for 2 reasons, Drill + Lappack & coal dust -> diamonds. I could probably get by without the drill + lappack by going with enchanting diamond picks + Anvil. The coal dust to diamonds is harder to live without. Though when EE3 gets up to speed that might also not be a problem.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I could be entirely mistaken here, and that would not surprise me, but I got the impression that the Infernal Furnace or whatever it's called uses Flux as fuel. Perhaps one could try burning off all the Flux by smelting a great deal of ore with it?

Don't worry, you are mistaken :X It uses the aura as fuel and sometimes causes flux. Also, yu CAN smelt stuff like pulverized copper/dusts in it, but you won't get any extra nuggets.

Also, apparently there are 4 different types of nodes, one of which lowers flux over time, going by what's in the Thauminomicon.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Well, to be fair, Forestry in 1.4.2 is buggy. Carpenters don't recognize any wood for the crate recipe, which kills about 1/2 the practical functionality of Carpenters.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Check the Forestry change log, the crate recipe is intentionally disabled in some versions, including the one that FTB is using (I do not know the reason) and got re-enabled in later versions.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
It's not a bug, it's a feature. Check the Forestry change log, the crate recipe is intentionally disabled in some versions, including the one that FTB is using (I do not know the reason) and got re-enabled in later versions.
I believe SirSengir was trying out a different mass storage idea, which didn't make for good gameplay, according to a post of his I read in the Forestry thread on the Minecraft Forums.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Barrels from Factorization are nice, just not nice enough for me to leave the mod installed.

Celonic

Jul 29, 2019
Well what we really need now is a wiki for TC3, because i have no idea what the hell im doing xD

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I think "having no idea what the hell we're doing" is a really funny aspect of TC3. We're actually venturing in an unknown dimension of alchemy and magic, frumbling is some sort of logic consequence of how TC3 is supposed to be played

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
All I know is right now getting the research I need is about as dangerous a thing as I have ever done in Minecraft. >.<

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
i have problems rememebering what items provide what aspects i wish the thaumanomicon would remember what aspects items have when you have used them in research once

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Barrels from Factorization are nice, just not nice enough for me to leave the mod installed.

Barrels and Lime dye -> slimeballs are more than worth the price of factorization![DOUBLEPOST=1354558158][/DOUBLEPOST]
Same here, but I'm basing anything I try to learn on what dw20 has in his videos.

Watching a video is good to see if you want to try a mod, but not so good to tell you how to actually play beyond the VERY basics.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
i have problems rememebering what items provide what aspects i wish the thaumanomicon would remember what aspects items have when you have used them in research once
If you hold shift and hover over an item you can see what aspects the item has.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
All I know is right now getting the research I need is about as dangerous a thing as I have ever done in Minecraft. >.<
Yeah I'm up to the unified theory... Getting the chaos aspect is a pain in the ass.

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
If you hold shift and hover over an item you can see what aspects the item has.

yes but i dont exactly carry EVERY item i have on me at any given time and requesting one item after another from my logistics pipes storage system just to find out which one has that one specific aspect on it is just time consuming in a non fun way

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Then you must devise a better system. Apparently your existing one is unsuitable for the task at hand. Are you a scientist or not, sir? And if not, what are you doing with Thaumcraft 3? ;)

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Gah, forum hiccup lost the post I typed.

What I'm wondering about for Thaumcraft and wish there was a wiki for is the mechanics of Aura Nodes, especially their math. For instance, the other three nodes are simple enough but what do the "malevolent" nodes actually do? My big question is whether Aura is a finite resource. From everything I've read, including the Thaumanomicon, it sounds like the recovery of Aura for a node is nothing more than a redistribution of the aura between nearby nodes and the ores. I've yet to encounter anything that adds Aura to the environment, and supposedly (I haven't seen confirmation on how this works) even growing a Silverwood Tree to create a new node pulls Aura from nearby nodes to do so, making it another redistribution. Is there any way for the Aura to truly recover, or do you eventually have to pack up and move once you've inevitably bled a location dry?