Redpower going the way of Nandonalt's Mods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Demanding or stating opinions aside: If any of you would "state your opinion" in my face like that - you'd get the middlefinger. And definitely not a "Oh, of course. Now that you shove aside hundrets of working hours that I put into my very own, personal, near and dear work, that same work I decided to let teh interwebs use for free, then insulted me directly and indirectly, I will drop whatever I am doing right now and get back to the coding table. Because, due to some strange reason, that probably has Notch, a unicorn, the ghost of Steve Jobbs and Cthulhu involved, I totally care for one of my mods beneficary's opinion - especially when he's choosing his words as wise as this one."

Seriously guys? Duh? I know, I know, it's all white-knighting again. But since this term seems to be synonymic for "reasonable thinking online".. I can live with that. Heck, I don't even KNOW Eloraam (apart of knowing she coded RP2) and still am, yet again, astonished with what I read here. Tell ya what: If Eloraam reads only about a tenth of all that heat she gets (not only, or not even specifically, here), I would not be surprised if she'd be all "Yeah.. you know.. I do have the new version up and running.. but I think I'll have two weeks of free offline time first." *sigh* I really should know better after all these years online. Old dogs and new tricks I guess.

Obviously, a bug that makes item duplication (raiju, your post just an example here, please don't consider this aimed at you) easily accessable is indeed a noteworthy problem that should be brought to her attention. But there's really better ways to do this than "OMG BUG! FIX NAO! OR ELSE NO MOAR ADFLY FER YOUZ!". :rolleyes:

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Gregorius is updating rather regularly, and I don't remember his mod ever breaking anything (unintentionally).

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I just remembered that redpower added the project tables. Now THAT would be a shame to lose, as they're fairly wonderful little buggers. On the bright side, given the previous history of the author, it'll likely end up being a non-issue.
In Other News, Here is the Project Bench, designed to fill that hole in your crafting room where you were going to put your project table but couldn't because redpower wasn't updated. Noteworthy still because it's simply better in pretty much every way(except it's still not a autocrafting table).

Like I said, except for frames(and really, the redwire), Redpower 2 just isn't that awesome anymore. It'll take a tons of new things which haven't been done yet to help Redpower 2 stay relevant in the coming editions.
Shame, really. But until I find another mod with a redwire alternative, I'll just have to keep using Redpower. And maybe one day, I'll make a frame base.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said, except for frames(and really, the redwire), Redpower 2 just isn't that awesome anymore.
This is your opinion and yes you're entitled to it, just like I'm entitled to my opinion that your opinion is freaking idiotic and makes you look like a goddamn jackass.

Frames, Redwire, Logic gates, Tubes, Sorters, FORTH, Some pretty cool worldgen (basalt and marble look awesome), Gems, Microblocks, Project table... ffs there is a TON of stuff that is awesome about RP2, just because you're an idiot doesn't mean RP2 isn't one of the biggest and best Minecraft mods out there.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
This is your opinion and yes you're entitled to it, just like I'm entitled to my opinion that your opinion is freaking idiotic and makes you look like a goddamn jackass.

Frames, Redwire, Logic gates, Tubes, Sorters, FORTH, Some pretty cool worldgen (basalt and marble look awesome), Gems, Microblocks, Project table... ffs there is a TON of stuff that is awesome about RP2, just because you're an idiot doesn't mean RP2 isn't one of the biggest and best Minecraft mods out there.
It's certainly one of the biggest... Though most of its features have been done at least as well if not better in other mods now. Frames, though... those will be hard to replace.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Really? "Your opinion is different from mine, therefore you are an idiot"? I'm sorry?

Paradisio

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with Lambert (sans the insult), as well, the new xycraft basically will have that project bench functionality, if we see it anytime soon at least =/ But I may add that in the meantime, looks nice.

Redpower is one of my used mods... and I've never had any major issues with it, some lag optimization would be nice, but I'm pretty happy with the current state of it. More stuff please? =p

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
It wouldn't be the first dupe bug to take weeks to be patched is all I'm saying, and having coded in the past I too can only imagine the horrors of bug-spotting in something as big as RP2.

I agree, trying to find bugs in such a large possible space of possible bugs is, quite possibly, impossible given a reasonable amount of time being dedicated to functions that have nothing to do with coding. But having coded myself (and still coding), I am aware how the enduserbase can be extremely vocal about sending bug reports, which would move the bug problem from "find before release" to "find after release", which shouldn't take months to complete when it is a game-breaking bug. But the situation may be entirely different, and she may very well not be getting anywhere near enough communication about this bug to even know it exists.

~~~

The modification is not a part of the MindCrack FTB pack (which is not a big issue as I don't have any problem adding it myself and assisting my userbase in added it as well), but it does not support any sort of "plan" functionality which is extremely useful for multi-project project tables. If it was NEI-compatible, which it may be, this might be less of an issue. That aside, though, RedPower adds loads of other smaller things that would be bothersome to lose, although nothing essential (besides those project tables, for me at least).

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah really, except for frames, redwire, bundled cables, logic, microblocks, actual moving windmills, lamps, volcanoes, flax, fliters/transposer/block breaker/etc, tubes, ores, Redpower really doesn't have much to offer... (that was sarcastic). Hell just for the microblocks I couldn't stop using Redpower and anyone who actually tried building something good looking and not some kind of messed up machines and pipe filled room would agree. Redwires also became pretty essential. Unfortunately I don't see it staying in FTB unless they don't want to follow Minecraft updates.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
It's certainly one of the biggest... Though most of its features have been done at least as well if not better in other mods now. Frames, though... those will be hard to replace.
Frames, Redwire, Logic Gates, Tubes, Sorters, Microblocks
^things that Redpower2 does that no others can match.
BC pipes have been getting better but are no substitute for tubes, not even in the same league.
Diamond pipe isn't even close to as good as the Sorting Machine
hmmm what else has the same functionality but isn't as good... nope methinks that's pretty much it.
Really? "Your opinion is different from mine, therefore you are an idiot"? I'm sorry?
no no... I stated that it was my opinion that he was an idiot.

Redpower, for me, is a "CAN NOT DO WITHOUT!!!" I didn't play the 1.4.2 pack simply because of the lack of RP2. The things it adds are essential to me in my game. So yeah, while it sucks that she isn't as vocal as the likes of KingLemming, Soaryn, Pahimar etc... it in no way makes me consider dropping the mod, or being the complete and utter douchebaggy twat that some of the people here are being.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah really, except for frames, redwire, bundled cables, microblocks, actual moving windmills, lamps, volcanoes, flax, fliters/transposer/block breaker/etc, tubes, ores, Redpower really doesn't have much to offer... (that was sarcastic). Hell just for the microblocks I couldn't stop using Redpower and anyone who actually tried building something good looking would agree. Redwires also became pretty essential.
Immibis has a microblocks mod that's basically exactly like redpower's microblocks, except they can go on pipes from other mods instead of redpower tubes.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone who says, "RedPower just isn't that awesome anymore" is obviously speaking out of no experience with what the mod can do, and will appear to be of below average intelligence to those who do know what the mod can do. Lambert stated as much in a not quite... eloquent... fashion, but his sentiment is no less true.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Frames, Redwire, Logic Gates, Tubes, Sorters, Microblocks
^things that Redpower2 does that no others can match.
BC pipes have been getting better but are no substitute for tubes, not even in the same league.
Diamond pipe isn't even close to as good as the Sorting Machine
hmmm what else has the same functionality but isn't as good... nope methinks that's pretty much it.

no no... I stated that it was my opinion that he was an idiot.
Pipes can be better than tubes if you add in ABO and Logistics Pipes :D

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone who says, "RedPower just isn't that awesome anymore" is obviously speaking out of no experience with what the mod can do, and will appear to be of below average intelligence to those who do know what the mod can do. Lambert stated as much in a not quite... eloquent... fashion, but his sentiment is no less true.
Eloquence isn't one of my strong points :p sorry :D

Reactions: Golrith

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
RP Wires
RP Logic gates
RP sorting system

The three parts everyone wants/needs updated.

I know without the wires and gates, I'm a sad bastard.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I couldn't really go back to logic circuits larger than the feature they service, huge hollow walls filled with red dirt on rocks, stairs that clash with the decor, and meter-thick carpets.

For the first two points, ComputerCraft can be used to create entirely wireless communication, as well as fairly simple to set up logic based upon LUA scripts. ComputerCraft computers are also cheaper than most all RedPower2 logic being that they only cost seven smooth stone, one redstone, and one glass pane to build. A modem costs eight smoothstone and one redstone torch, and that allows wireless communication to any other computer on the network.

It is really the best way to set up complicated systems that would normally require a lot of unsightly redstone wire hanging off of surfaces, blinking on and off, causing memory to be devoured for the light updates. The downside being that if you know nothing about programming, you are going to have to learn quickly to have any hope of being able to interact with the system, and the wireless functionality of ComputerCraft modems is limited, and even more during a thunderstorm.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
For the first two points, ComputerCraft can be used to create entirely wireless communication, as well as fairly simple to set up logic based upon LUA scripts. ComputerCraft computers are also cheaper than most all RedPower2 logic being that they only cost seven smooth stone, one redstone, and one glass pane to build. A modem costs eight smoothstone and one redstone torch, and that allows wireless communication to any other computer on the network.

It is really the best way to set up complicated systems that would normally require a lot of unsightly redstone wire hanging off of surfaces, blinking on and off, causing memory to be devoured for the light updates. The downside being that if you know nothing about programming, you are going to have to learn quickly to have any hope of being able to interact with the system, and the wireless functionality of ComputerCraft modems is limited, and even more during a thunderstorm.

yes, but an LUA program could be written to just about replace anything in the game.. IF you know how to do it. There's even item DB APIs out there that will allow them to turn into adequate and much more configurable sorting machins if you have the patience/knowledge to work out the code. The thing is.... Redpower gives it all to us without knowing all the code/logic behind it, and the items LOOK like what they're intended to do at a glance.

disclaimer:
My opinion in now way is meant in a shear douchebaggery way... I take away absolutely no awesomeness from computercraft, turtles or their likes :) Please don't break my code.

Reactions: Flipz and Jay Cee
Status
Not open for further replies.