Redpower going the way of Nandonalt's Mods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

McMutton

Jul 29, 2019
"Responsibe" not in a legal sense, but in a being a mature, responsible human being sense. If I offer to drive you home and instead kick you off in the middle of a cornfield, is it not my responsibility because you didn't pay me for a guaranteed service?
The comparision is completely wrong.... (edit to explain why it is wrong: If you offer to drive me home, it's a kind of contract... even if not written. Elo has never promised to do anything. She is delivering content whenever she wants.)

...it's more like: I give you a new car, and you start complaining that it has a high fuel usage and I should chip in when it comes to paying your fuel.

She is responsible. She has done a great job so far. But if she should decide to stop at any point to update the mod: That's her right and that's completely fine.
Just because the mod is famous and a great piece of work, she isn't (morally) forced to update it as fast as possible. Remember: She is using her spare time to do this. Be thankful.

Malkeus Diasporan

Jul 29, 2019
This situation brings to mind the last time we were waiting and waiting for a redpower2 update... It'll happen when it happens or not at all, griping won't bring it any faster.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You know, I was kinda hoping we'd avoid this discussion this single one time.

If you want to avoid a discussion why are you getting involved? Like the drama?

Seriously, it's nothing but logical that people are concerned about the future of RP2. It's a core mod and almost as important as buildcraft for me. A lot of stuff that I want to build, like sorting systems, just work a lot better with RP2. It would be a shame if it would just 'die off'.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Technically, you can hear Elo in TS for a brief moment in one of Dire's latest SMP vids from last week.

I doubt it , Elo doesn't talk in TS. There are several other women who do whom you're probably confusing them for.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
You know, I was kinda hoping we'd avoid this discussion this single one time.

It's Slowpoke's fault for mentioning they may be dropping RP from the mod packs in one of his streams due to lack of Elo/updates. How much truth is in that I don't know or whether it was mentioned in jest (there's another thread on this).

So I blame Slowpoke :p

Reactions: Morvelaira

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
well, if she can't keep up with the mod she should eat her ego, that will take a long time to eat since is enormus, and pass the mod to someone else that can keep it up.

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
Well the entire thread was sort of created for this, so it would stop derailing so many other threads, Poppycocks.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
well, if she can't keep up with the mod she should eat her ego, that will take a long time to eat since is enormus, and pass the mod to someone else that can keep it up.
I'm sure she'd be happy with her mod being standalone and at her own pace. It's rude posts like this talking about the character of someone you do not know that will probably cause that. I understand being frustrated and complaining but there's no reason to be rude about it and attack her personally.

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
The way I see it Elo owns RP2. As such she has a life and the mod is absolutely huge by itself. When she updates one thing she has to test it to make sure something else in the mod did not break. Since she also has a life and responsibility outside of minecraft and she does not get paid for anything she does with RP2, updates will take time. As far as I am concerned I don't think any of us has a right to complain about the lack of updates or communication from her. The fact is that it will be done when it is done not before. As for those that say she should let other work on it, that is Elo's call not mine nor anyone else's. If you don't like it too bad. No one is forcing you to use an awesome mod that has been provided to you FREE of charge. As for the bugs, we all have 2 choices in this, live with it or don't use RP, simple as that. I choose to live with it and eagerly await the next update. Personally if it were my mod I would choose not to communicate given how many people seem to believe that they have a right to make DEMANDS with regards to a FREE mod. Now that my rant is over I shall step down from my soapbox.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure that if I had a mod, I would not care where or how people would use it, or even care about copyrights, or update it 1 week after the last person asks when will it be updated, and for sure I would give it to somebody else if i could not keep it updated.

I'm sure she'd be happy with her mod being standalone and at her own pace. It's rude posts like this talking about the character of someone you do not know that will probably cause that. I understand being frustrated and complaining but there's no reason to be rude about it and attack her personally.

well, it is true that if somebody touches her mod is dead. Neither she lets nobody help her.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
It's Slowpoke's fault for mentioning they may be dropping RP from the mod packs in one of his streams due to lack of Elo/updates. How much truth is in that I don't know or whether it was mentioned in jest (there's another thread on this).

So I blame Slowpoke :p

I'm hoping he was serious. As a modpack creator you have to be willing to bury any mod that can't keep up or otherwise causes problems. All the mods have to be viewed as transitory; they could go away at any time. Any number of things could end a mod from lack of interest to the author dieing and a closed source mod is even more vulnerable due to lack of ability for anyone to pick up the pieces easily. RP2 has a great many problems with no sign of repair. It is easy to forgive a mod with problems with a visibly active author working on it, a non visible author with a history of stifling any interaction with their mod tends to breed more resentment and irritation than the problems would otherwise cause by themselves.

Just because you play your music for free in public doesn't mean you can't critiqued. Mods are the same way.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Nearly everything I read in this thread is demands, rants, complaints, "she has to", or in a polite disguise "she should", "we the people!" etc. etc.

Go on a google hunt and take some time reading the pure sh!tstorm she received for not delivering her (free!) mod on demand(!) of "teh interwebs".I could understand completely if, after all that, she'd say "F this, no more RP2 for minecraft!". I know I wouldn't do anything anymore for a "community" that comes up with forks and torches as soon as something is taking longer than expected (again, we're talking about an optional mod, not a case of "no rp2, no minecraft") and throws poop at her door for months, and before leaving put up a burning cross on my lawn. That's about the kind of behaviour she had to deal with, as I read quite some of this stuff while waiting for RP2 end of last year.

And do not come to me saying "morale resonsibility" or ANYthing along those lines. That's literally bullsh*t. It's a free modification of a frickn 10$ game. Can't use it? Bad luck, better get rid of it. You have no right at all, not commercial, nor morally, to demand anything. It's done when it's done - or not. If not.. see the "bad luck" part again.

tl:dr - Go get a life. Minecraft != RP2 != FTB

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I am fine with her taking her time. Life has a way of getting in the way or pulling things one hasn't expected. I would rather a good mod like Red Power have good time taken on it to have most of the things fixed or improved then something rushed out and the author experience burn out. Worse still is a reduced product that has way more faults in it ergo Call of Duty.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
These rumors should probably stop. ;) RL crops up from time to time, some of us have incredibly busy schedules, and Elo is no exception here. Should RP ever be discontinued, I'm pretty confident there would be some sort of official heads up.

In this case, no news is good news.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Personally if it were my mod I would choose not to communicate given how many people seem to believe that they have a right to make DEMANDS with regards to a FREE mod. Now that my rant is over I shall step down from my soapbox.
Someone's got their panties in a bunch. Nobody's making demands.

That said, if you're collecting donations and monetizing your mod through AdFly, there are expectations.

(Which is probably why King Lemming doesn't take donations, despite my attempts to give him money)

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Not being diplomatic, I'll just be blunt.

Eloraam worked hard for about 7 months after 1.3 caused some MAJOR problems within RP2 right down to the deepest levels of the mod. Lest it be ignored and glossed over, she publicly stated a boost of donations allowed her to take some UNPAID LEAVE from her job to finish up RP2 a couple days before CHRISTMAS. Not only has Elo delivered a wonderfully deep and useful mod with widely varying flavors of complexity, she pulled off things like an implementation of FORTH, the mighty frames that move blocks en masse, and a multitude of other wildly complex things few members of the community are even scratching the true surface of for all the potential. Of all the mods out there, RP2 has in many ways reached the farthest, shot the highest, with likely one of the BEST records for reasonably stable releases. Also don't forget 1.5 is going to likely require a rather ludicrous amount of work because of fundamental changes that Minecraft will undergo and it WILL affect ALL mods in some way. I'm just hoping Elo does not have to endure a year of work just to get the current version functioning to her excellent standards. Take a minute and consider every block, item, and tool in RP2 took hours, days, even perhaps months each of dedicated effort pulled out of spare time. And all of it out of passion alone.

If Elo felt done with RP2 (and there is still a LOT of things yet hinted towards), it wouldn't be terrible and the community would deal with it and find other ways of playing. It is a great mod to have but not the only option. Perhaps Elo had work issues keeping her occupied of late and a hobby had to take a back seat. Maybe, gods forbid, a family emergency or health problem. I don't care even if it was a very well deserved vacation from Minecraft and modding to recharge. Nobody has any right whatsoever to claim Elo owes them something if for no other reason than all the quality goodies and fun we've all had using RP2 thus far. It's her personal project and she knows people love the mod but we the fans cannot expect anything more than what she feels is right for her work. It's a work of art she shares by choice with the world. She could keep all the fun to herself and nobody could do jack, nor would anyone have any right to. Instead, she's helped so many of us have tons of fun.

Reclusive or not, Eloraam deserves mountains of respect. Don't like her not meeting your childish demands for immediate action and details, stop using Red Power 2 and shut your bloody hole. No mod dev works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.