Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
Books no longer applicable to jewellery? Not sure how I feel about that. At least those of us a bit more savvy to configs can rectify that easily.

In 1.7, there is no way in vanilla to get the mariculture enchantments on books. The reason I disabled it, is because I provide my own way to do what books do. You enchant the pearls themselves, then can try and replace these on to jewellery. (Because you would be able to get them with mfr dis-enchanter, when it's available :p). I didn't want my method to be redundant, if you're going to just bypass it with MFR. The config however, while enabling the books to work, still forces the limit that's added in 1.7 of number enchantments per jewellry type/material.

Reactions: Mevansuto

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.7, there is no way in vanilla to get the mariculture enchantments on books. The reason I disabled it, is because I provide my own way to do what books do. You enchant the pearls themselves, then can try and replace these on to jewellery. (Because you would be able to get them with mfr dis-enchanter, when it's available :p). I didn't want my method to be redundant, if you're going to just bypass it with MFR. The config however, while enabling the books to work, still forces the limit that's added in 1.7 of number enchantments per jewellry type/material.

Ah, okay.

Vswe

Jul 29, 2019
VSWE and Steve's Factory Manager with two fixes. For me a major fix as previous versions prevented ore-doubleing automation via ic2 and sfm because of the second bug.
Thanks VSWE!!! <3

Items not showing up in the search will never stop you from doing something. Since it can never list every possible version of every item it only lists items in the creative inventory (due to a bug in earlier 1.7.2 version this failed though). However, you can always search for ".inv" and it will list the items in your inventory instead.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
This looks both incredibly interesting and powerful, making modded minecraft yet more unified:http://minalien.com/minecraft-forge-feature-spotlight-api-annotation/
This also means that something like enderIO can let other mods know that when it is installed, the RF API will be present, allowing them to have rf power dependencies without checking just for something like TE. Pretty snazy, and legit.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Reactions: buggirlexpres

johnny0306

Jul 29, 2019
Items not showing up in the search will never stop you from doing something. Since it can never list every possible version of every item it only lists items in the creative inventory (due to a bug in earlier 1.7.2 version this failed though). However, you can always search for ".inv" and it will list the items in your inventory instead.

Well, i guess then it was an excuse for an uneducated me! But anyway thank you for keeping your mods up to date!

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
IC2: "work on Advanced Reactor Cooling System Part2"
g3Dhzbm.png

90dzjqo.png

I really hope they aren't changing the nuclear system too much, I have enough work already with the old one.

Wait what?! What kind of awesomeness is coming to IC2 reactor system overhaul?

Reactions: Fixided

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I like ichun...but this new mod and his response to concerns has me with raised eyebrows I'll be honest.
Statement on Serverside Integration.
Alright, so I’ve gotten some feedback, even before the mod was finished (I was livestreaming the development), there have been requests from people to allow servers to prevent clients from using this mod, due to fear or abuse. I understand the logic in this, but personally I’m going off the idea/concept that the mod is 100% clientside and has no server interaction, one that automatically tracks other players of interest with little to no hassle to the end user other than initial setup. This PiP mod was based off another private mod of mine (also called PiP) that I’ve used in my ForgeCraft series with the intent of showing people Mr_okushama‘s view since we shared a base, and was requested to be made public by Gigabit101.

Again, I understand the concern with the use of this mod on servers, but I will not be implementing any form of serverside integration in allowing the server to disable PiP or requiring other player’s consent before tracking. It all depends entirely on the end user on how they would like to use this mod… If for mischief, well, it shows the ugly side of these people so feel free to do whatever you want with them. Cause well, hey, a gun was made with the intent of protecting people, shame that the bad guys use it sometimes, right?

Then again, if I were to add the serverside integration bits, what’s stopping others from taking that part of the code out?

Tl;dr

Will servers/other players be able to disable PiP? No.

Basically "Yeah, I know people are going to abuse the shit out of it, but that's not my problem."

stay classy, bro.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
I like ichun...but this new mod and his response to concerns has me with raised eyebrows I'll be honest.

Basically "Yeah, I know people are going to abuse the shit out of it, but that's not my problem."

stay classy, bro.
Yeah, I'm not particularly impressed with that response, either. Admittedly, it's inherently limited to what's actually loaded in your client, and yes, you can argue that the data *is already there*, but that doesn't mean it's worthless to put in some sanity checks.

The real "fix" for this would be for the server to stop sending you player position information unless you're looking at them; this is a fairly expensive operation for the server to be doing, and it makes sense that it's not going to happen. I... guess ultimately I see both sides here, and while I'm slightly displeased with iChun's response, he does have a point.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm not particularly impressed with that response, either. Admittedly, it's inherently limited to what's actually loaded in your client, and yes, you can argue that the data *is already there*, but that doesn't mean it's worthless to put in some sanity checks.

The real "fix" for this would be for the server to stop sending you player position information unless you're looking at them; this is a fairly expensive operation for the server to be doing, and it makes sense that it's not going to happen. I... guess ultimately I see both sides here, and while I'm slightly displeased with iChun's response, he does have a point.
Regardless if he has a point or not, this mod effectively destroys a section of both modded and vanilla minecraft community, since there's not really much stopping a person from throwing forge and PiP onto a vanilla client. Who's going to want to pvp with this thing around?

gg ichun. r.i.p minecraft pvp.

Reactions: RedBoss

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Regardless if he has a point or not, this mod effectively destroys a section of both modded and vanilla minecraft community, since there's not really much stopping a person from throwing forge and PiP onto a vanilla client. Who's going to want to pvp with this thing around?

gg ichun. r.i.p minecraft pvp.
Folks what am I missing here? Is it possible for someone to log onto a server using this if the server admin himself doesn't include the mod or something?

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Folks what am I missing here? Is it possible for someone to log onto a server using this if the server admin himself doesn't include the mod or something?
Yes

edit: I've got my torch and pitchfork at the ready, btw.