Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
PiP is kinda like Jurassic Park. In a controlled environment of trustworthy people you have something novel and enjoyable. When unscrupulous characters come in, now you've got Velociraptors trying to eat children. Or in this case, griefers raiding public servers and now they have one more tool to raid and pillage. Its terribly irresponsible to unleash this onto the community and have an attitude that you're not going to address concerns over security.

People already cheat in this game. Public servers are horrible places to expect safe building and friendly people. But by and large, that's where a huge chunk of players spend their time. Its pretty bad already on small public servers with minor grief protection. I've been an admin in such situations and booting hacked clients and fielding grief complaints is a chore already. Now you have tool that lets griefers follow victims around and find their stuff. Or worse, reveals their location on PvP servers.

Let's also not forget that people may just troll other players incessantly. They'll follow them around and just impede their game play. Now you've got a mod that lets these trolls follow other players even better. To seek them out and make their trolling even more horrible.

It doesn't affect me because I play on mature servers or single player. But the masses will suffer because bad people will have yet another tool.

Last edited:

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I personally believe that this PiP thing is getting blown out of proportion. You people act as if this gives you a players location, how to open the door to their base, and what's in each chest throughout the base. Let's get something straight, this mod isn't half as useful as you think it is.

It shows you the players view. Cool stuff. You know what they can see. That's it. That's all you get. A few pictures of what they can see. No guis, no coordinates, nothing. It has a limit to how far it can search making long distance hunting pretty useless. Honestly, Zan's minimap is more useful. It shows underground layouts so even hidden bases can be seen. Players can be seen on the map itself so you know if someone's there. Add that with the underground map and bam. Easy griefing.

IMO, people are getting caught up in the fact that iChun isn't adding server protections for this and are overseeing how useful the mod actually is for pvp.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
*Snipped quotes of deleted posts*

And here I was thinking that we were allowed to state our opinions on the forums without being berated for them. I suppose I was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmillerw

Jul 29, 2019
And here I was thinking that we were allowed to state our opinions on the forums without being berated for them. I suppose I was wrong.
Well, you thought wrong! :p

In all seriousness though, I just found it strange people were abandoning the mod for a simple addition. But that's my opinion.

IN MODDING NEWS...
I've done some more RemoteIO updates. Bug fixes, and support for RF!

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah Extra Utilities isn't so much "extra utilities", as the name suggests, like it was in 1.5- it's now just "BuildCraft the Remake" with the title of "Extra Utilities". Honestly, for 1.7, I may just end up writing my own mod that does the things I like from the old ExUtils.

Why don't you just disable all the BC-like stuff? The config for XU is very powerful. I used it to take out all RF related blocks so it would fit into my magic pack.[DOUBLEPOST=1403757762][/DOUBLEPOST]

Which forums were you on?

Reactions: YX33A and RedBoss

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Why don't you just disable all the BC-like stuff? The config for XU is very powerful. I used it to take out all RF related blocks so it would fit into my magic pack.
It's just that Tema seems like he is trying to dominate the modding scene with these constant remakes of other mods' functionality.

I rarely use XU in the first place.[DOUBLEPOST=1403757799][/DOUBLEPOST]
Which forums were you on?
I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Reactions: Padfoote

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
It's just that Tema seems like he is trying to dominate the modding scene with these constant remakes of other mods' functionality.

I rarely use XU in the first place.[DOUBLEPOST=1403757799][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Aren't most these features in other mods already though? The only truly unique features of BC are the gates.

I'm saying this is a place where people are constantly berated for our opinions.

Reactions: YX33A

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Aren't most these features in other mods already though? The only truly unique features of BC are the gates.

I'm saying this is a place where people are constantly berated for our opinions.
Most duplicated features have things that make them more unique (no, placing dirt when it is done mining doesn't really count). Look at the Digital Miner vs. the Quarry.

That doesn't make it any better.

Reactions: Padfoote

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019

Or perhaps he's just trying to rely less on other mods.

I've a feeling that BuildCraft gates will remain more powerful with what I've seen so far with BuildCraft pipes' ability to carry four wires per pipe vs XU's one. And the XU wires also seem to act like standard Red Alloy Wire on standard blocks, a feature more akin to RedPower/Project Red. Again, though, it seems weaker as it's just standard wire and doesn't appear to, so far, have colored or bundled varieties. And if these are FMP compatible, which I have a feeling they are based on Tema's other recent stuff, they may work seamlessly with TE ducts as well.

Most duplicated features have things that make them more unique (no, placing dirt when it is done mining doesn't really count). Look at the Digital Miner vs. the Quarry.

That doesn't make it any better.

But it does make it unique. It allows quarrying without mass terrain destruction. I refuse to run any quarries myself because I *abhor* what it does to the terrain. The quarry may look prettier, but I hate it's side effects. So, for some, the XU variant is better.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
For *now*, due to the issues it causes. I think he wants to add it back, though, when FMP fixes it's issues.

I hope that he does for aesthetics, but I also am looking forward to new methods to block ducts from connecting.

It's honestly not worth removing them just to add them back again. Does anyone remember the trouble with them switching in TE3's beta?

Either remove them and keep them removed or leave them be.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I personally believe that this PiP thing is getting blown out of proportion. You people act as if this gives you a players location, how to open the door to their base, and what's in each chest throughout the base. Let's get something straight, this mod isn't half as useful as you think it is.

It shows you the players view. Cool stuff. You know what they can see. That's it. That's all you get. A few pictures of what they can see. No guis, no coordinates, nothing. It has a limit to how far it can search making long distance hunting pretty useless. Honestly, Zan's minimap is more useful. It shows underground layouts so even hidden bases can be seen. Players can be seen on the map itself so you know if someone's there. Add that with the underground map and bam. Easy griefing.

IMO, people are getting caught up in the fact that iChun isn't adding server protections for this and are overseeing how useful the mod actually is for pvp.
Way to downplay the effect this mod will have on public servers. Finding hidden bases isn't even on the list of things I had in mind that this mod would be useful for. The point you are missing about this mod is that it does not lend itself to an even playing field. I'd use it to creep up on people. I tend to farm miners when I play on servers anyway, and this mod would make it that much easier.

This isn't an "i win" button, but it certainly is yet another tool in the toolbox of people whom I wish did not possess such tools.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
It's honestly not worth removing them just to add them back again. Does anyone remember the trouble with them switching in TE3's beta?

Either remove them and keep them removed or leave them be.

It's worth it to remove them now to make ducts start working properly as right now the FMP compat is causing the systems to break. But without them there's no way to block or cover ducts or to run things like red alloy wire alongside them. *That* is the reason I hope it gets added back, though I'll take TE ducts properly functioning over FMP compat *any* day of the week.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Last edited by a moderator:

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019

No, this forum is definitely the place to state opinions, and "berating" people for their opinions is not approved behavior at all. That said:
1. The proper response is to report posts that are abusive,
2. This is not the topic for discussion, there's a Recent Events Discussion thread for that. Messages now moved into this, the proper topic.
3. Be. Nice. Seriously, it's in the rules.

Leaving this locked for a few minutes while we perform some housekeeping, we'll be back up shortly. Thread restored.

Last edited: