Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
According to what I have been hearing, most 1.7.2 mods will survive on Forge 1.7.10 anyways
Yep according to LexManos the only problem with updtating is vec pools. Most mods doen't use this as it is for complex rendering but I believe ender-io uses vec pools and some other mods (maybe openblocks).

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
At least we might get a few amusing days after 1.7.10 is out and every texture is broken everywhere, thanks to the fixes that break them even more so they render correctly in 1.7.2.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
So, Emoniph made me happy this morning. (not an actual update, just an IRC log about the next update). I was given permission to do this, on the condition that I correct all of his typos :p

[11:45:09] <@Emoniph> well the next update only really adds goblins
[11:45:17] <@Emoniph> the owls are already there
[11:46:01] <@Emoniph> Just have to work out if the goblins will spawn naturally or you have to create them through magical means
[11:46:35] <SatanicSanta> ooooh
[11:47:00] <@Emoniph> Given that they take over villages I am a bit worried about auto spawning resulting in wiped out villages
[11:47:17] <SatanicSanta> right
[11:47:36] <SatanicSanta> to be fair, zombies do that also, but probably not nearly as bad as goblins would/do
[11:47:59] <@Emoniph> Well the goblins set up shop in the village (they are essentially villegers too)
[11:48:10] <SatanicSanta> oh.
[11:48:43] <@Emoniph> I kinda like the idea of players finding them in the wild, bringing them to a place with a leash and building houses for them to live/breed in
[11:48:54] <@Emoniph> Then putting some to work in the mines
[11:49:19] <@Emoniph> So basically you get a quarry and some shop keepers for your trouble
[11:50:00] <SatanicSanta> this makes me happy.
[11:50:13] <SatanicSanta> a magic mod that adds an automatic mining solution
[11:50:16] <SatanicSanta> besides thaumcraft
[11:51:20] <@Emoniph> The "automation" will be limited to the length of a leash. Basically you leash a goblin to to a post, give it a pick and it starts mining. Another goblin is needed to pick up the rocks and put in a chest.
[11:51:30] <@Emoniph> You have to move the post to do the next area.
[11:52:01] <SatanicSanta> so basically, thaumcraft golems that do what ive wanted them to do for years? awesome :p
[11:52:08] <SatanicSanta> like
[11:52:10] <@Emoniph> I really wanted the feeling of them slaving away for the nasty witch
[11:52:12] <SatanicSanta> exactly waht ive wanted htme to do
[11:52:25] <SatanicSanta> or warlock ;)
[11:52:25] <@Emoniph> leashes made this possible
[11:52:46] <@Emoniph> Well apparently witch applies to men as well
[11:53:10] <@Emoniph> In modern wicca witch is used for all practioners, warlock for bad people
[11:53:17] <SatanicSanta> ah okay
[11:54:14] <@Emoniph> Although honestly people can be whatever they like, it is fun to use witchery to do some role play type stuff
[11:56:07] <SatanicSanta> do you mind if i tease the ftb forums "what's new in modded mc" thread with this convo?
[11:58:01] <@Emoniph> Only if you correct all my typos ;)
[11:58:29] <SatanicSanta> alright
[11:58:41] <SatanicSanta> i'll do that once i update the witchery tilesheet.
[11:59:38] Xil|Zzz [~Kodos@2602:306:ce20:6c30:9c18:f192:221f:7512] is now known as Xilandro
[12:00:13] <@Emoniph> I hope to be done by next weekend, asuuming nothing major comes up this week

TLDR: Goblins and automated mining in the next update
The real question is, will you be able to hit the goblins to make them work faster?

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
ooo, a whip that gives them a 10 second or so mining haste buff when struck would be awesome.
The only fair way I could see this being done is if it also damages them, because that means overly excessive whipping such as:
it must be autonomous activator compatible!
would kill them.

But if you were to stand down there and occasionally give them a whip, their natural regeneration would take over and they'd survive.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
The only fair way I could see this being done is if it also damages them, because that means overly excessive whipping such as:

would kill them.

But if you were to stand down there and occasionally give them a whip, their natural regeneration would take over and they'd survive.
no, i would set it up so that whenever the dropped off their ores, the got whipped.[/cruelty]

Reactions: 1SDAN

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
no, i would set it up so that whenever the dropped off their ores, the got whipped.[/cruelty]
Well, the way they are to be set up is there are two goblins, one to mine, and one to pick up the ores. The miner drops all of the ores and rocks and what have you, while the other one picks them up and puts them in a chest- like a golem. Therefore, that system would not work.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Well, the way they are to be set up is there are two goblins, one to mine, and one to pick up the ores. The miner drops all of the ores and rocks and what have you, while the other one picks them up and puts them in a chest- like a golem. Therefore, that system would not work.
well then.... redstone timers!

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Nope it already is. :p
Yes, indeed. Item, liquid, and energy transport. The aforementioned other BC functions. And now that the Creative Builder's Wand is obtainable in survival, there's a replacement for the filler.

I'm still interested in the new content Spacetoad added to BC. That re-worked builder seems VERY useful. I'm also interested in the robots. Basically, flying Buildcraft golems.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Well that seems entirely useless with any instance that has Buildcraft in it, which is pretty much every modpack I play. Unfortunately I really like half the things ExU adds, so I won't be ripping it out of my instances.

wee bloatware \o/

Of coarse the reverse is also true. That Extra Utilities largely makes Buildcraft redundant. Not that it hasn't bin redundant for a long time now.
It's only unique aspect at the moment is it's builder. And I fully expect other better versions to be eventually be developed by other moders.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Of coarse the reverse is also true. That Extra Utilities largely makes Buildcraft redundant. Not that it hasn't bin redundant for a long time now.
It's only unique aspect at the moment is it's builder. And I fully expect other better versions to be eventually be developed by other moders.
I'm not sure how one mod duplicating an old mod's features makes the older mod redundant...