Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. I read through that whole thing. Interesting day indeed!

From everything I've heard, I'm wondering if running a modded MC server is more trouble than it's worth.

If that counts as an idiotic thing someone has said about Minecraft, feel free to quote it in this thread :p

So long as you aren't a complete moron and can follow simple instructions, I doubt there'd be any problems outside paying for said server and/or comparing hardware, the last of which can be easily rectified with some basic Google-fu.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
Vinilla adventure maps are significantly different from modded. The first time I played a modded one I was clueless. In vinilla maps you are supposed to read signs and most of them are horribly formulated. The good ones have locked doors which force you to read signs.
Um, that's not even close to how "vinilla" maps work. You'd be surprised what command blocks can do. The only maps that are like that, with the signs, are bad ones that you probably shouldn't play.

And some are just trial maps which force you to balance and jump over obstacles
Those... those are just parkour maps.

Reactions: 1SDAN

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I still remember the vanilla adventure maps from beta. They were pretty limited, without any command blocks. The story was told by signs or sometimes maps with custom pictures.
And there were the boring parkour maps where you just have to try many times until you finally get the jump.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Um, that's not even close to how "vinilla" maps work. You'd be surprised what command blocks can do. The only maps that are like that, with the signs, are bad ones that you probably shouldn't play.

Since we're in the middle of an archeological dig here, I'll 'unearth' this;
Old style adventure maps [the well designed ones at least] didn't involve too many signs to read, and were kinda self explanatory.
Certainly better than having some 'story' spoon fed to you via command blocks.

Also 'modern' MC mapping has suffered a lot in terms of overall quality; as lot of new tools were added to make mapbuilding easier so now every idiot under the sun thinks s/he's a pro-map designer because they can use a command block.

Last edited:

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019

Two elusive point with vinilla maps:
  • 90% of vinilla maps are with signs that tell you what to do, and are bad. The good to bad ration is around 1 to 10. So, yes most maps are as described. Also as the post said I used to play a lot of vinilla maps. I know the difference between the bad ones and good ones. The good ones still use signs. Command blocks don't make a difference, they still have signs.
  • There is a whole community producing bad maps. Once again just because good stuff comes from quality makers doesn't make the bad stuff disappear its still there
*cough *cough he said some, so yes they are just parkour maps, it doesn't change anything.

Also:
  • What you said was out of context not taking the earlier stuff of the argument into consideration
  • Don't start an argument with um on the internet in every context people take it as offensive. Mostly because your trying to prove hem wrong so you are now their arch nemesis. :p
  • I think that post was from around six months ago, people can get real irritated when you take something small they were mistaken about that long ago (Not saying I was wrong :p)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Two elusive point with vinilla maps:
  • 90% of vinilla maps are with signs that tell you what to do, and are bad. The good to bad ration is around 1 to 10. So, yes most maps are as described. Also as the post said I used to play a lot of vinilla maps. I know the difference between the bad ones and good ones. The good ones still use signs. Command blocks don't make a difference, they still have signs.
  • There is a whole community producing bad maps. Once again just because good stuff comes from quality makers doesn't make the bad stuff disappear its still there

*cough *cough he said some, so yes they are just parkour maps, it doesn't change anything.

Also:
  • What you said was out of context not taking the earlier stuff of the argument into consideration
  • Don't start an argument with um on the internet in every context people take it as offensive. Mostly because your trying to prove hem wrong so you are now their arch nemesis. :p
  • I think that post was from around six months ago, people can get real irritated when you take something small they were mistaken about that long ago (Not saying I was wrong :p)
Also, parkour is not a puzzle map! :rolleyes:

Random off-topic thing:
What ever happened to this running joke?
Code:
java.lang.SteakNotFoundException: "You must feed the dragon!"
at ftb.forums.GeoStrataConfigHelp$trajing:8
at ftb.forums.GeoStrataConfigHelp$pc_assassin:6
...3 more

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
A direct quote from a book (and it's covered under Fair Use because this is valid criticism):
Learn to Program with Minecraft Plugins by Andy Hunt said:
2. Some folks also write Minecraft mods, which take place in the graphical client, but we won't cover those here. Mods are mostly concerned with loading new skins; the plugin development we'll do is closer to what professional programmers do and actually changes the game mechanics, not just the look.
I have this from asking for a book on how to code mods so I could have several sources. I ended up getting a book on how to code plugins. I now make sure to check that my parents are buying the correct thing off of Amazon, not something with a minor change of what I asked for.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
A direct quote from a book (and it's covered under Fair Use because this is valid criticism):

I have this from asking for a book on how to code mods so I could have several sources. I ended up getting a book on how to code plugins. I now make sure to check that my parents are buying the correct thing off of Amazon, not something with a minor change of what I asked for.
Someone seems to have mods confused with resource packs.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I'm not going to name the source on this one. I certainly can't post the full thing due to forum rules and whatnot.
...unfairly represents ethnic and religious minorities, and continually perpetuates negative racial stereotyping- as the only black character "coincidentally" happens to teleport into peoples houses and steal stuff...
Just a heads up that some people may find the above a little offensive.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not going to name the source on this one. I certainly can't post the full thing due to forum rules and whatnot.
Just a heads up that some people may find the above a little offensive.
I'm not even sure how they think it misrepresents religious minorities though, nothing even vaguely relating to religion is in the game AFAIK.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019

There are actually a lot of communities of modders/pluginers who consider mods antithetical and plugins functional. The minecraft community is just the other way around. (Along with a lot more communities, there really is no right way of saying it).

xTordX

Jul 29, 2019
If anyone played civ they'll see that there are at least 12 major religions. So you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.