Psi Discussion Thread

T

Tiendow

Hey! Love the mod so far! =D Thanks to Direwolf20 for making me aware of this ;)

I made an account in order to post an idea ;) (and then thought of another)
1. Could add recipes to craft each kind of bullet into another type. (e.g. add string to normal bullet or circle bullet to make it into a loopcast, etc.) Sometimes you just don't want a certain bullet anymore and it seems legit that you could freely modify these suckers (provided you clear the spell first, maybe... or, shoot....keep the same spell to be able to swap and experiment)
2. I'm not sure it's in the spirit of the mod, but being able to have static locations like a dispenser that could have a CAD or just a spell bullet placed inside that could be activated by redstone would be pretty neat =) Maybe some kind of armor upgrade could allow your psy energy regen surplus charge up batteries from a distance to recharge these remote devices. =)

T

Tiendow

I like Psi balance. Early game it's a go-to do-everything thing that lets you avoid vanilla tedium while other mods catch up.
Mid-late game it's a fine tool that lets you do specific things not covered by other mods. Like placing and removing blocks in specific way you need, doing things with mobs in specific way (smite pig to turn it into zombie pigman, then Add Motion it to cage for Intangible). I carry two CADs (one in bag), because I can't fit all things I regularly use in one.

Psi has a niche of portable fine-tuned automation, and has no alternatives there.

That's BRILLIANT!! Homemade zombie pigmen for Intangible!!

Ridous

Jul 29, 2019
Hey! Love the mod so far! =D Thanks to Direwolf20 for making me aware of this ;)

I made an account in order to post an idea ;) (and then thought of another)
1. Could add recipes to craft each kind of bullet into another type. (e.g. add string to normal bullet or circle bullet to make it into a loopcast, etc.) Sometimes you just don't want a certain bullet anymore and it seems legit that you could freely modify these suckers (provided you clear the spell first, maybe... or, shoot....keep the same spell to be able to swap and experiment)
2. I'm not sure it's in the spirit of the mod, but being able to have static locations like a dispenser that could have a CAD or just a spell bullet placed inside that could be activated by redstone would be pretty neat =) Maybe some kind of armor upgrade could allow your psy energy regen surplus charge up batteries from a distance to recharge these remote devices. =)
Please read it http://vazkii.us/uncategorized/stuff-you-wont-see-in-psi/

How about a mobile Spell Programmer that doesn't work with any non-normal bullet and doesn't work with drives or a Quick Swap Magazines for CADs?

Or how about a tool(doll) similar to the ruler that saves the world position?

Last edited:

Seiklus

Jul 29, 2019
I cant stop playing this mod. It keeps drawing me back to it every time i try to start any other mod :p oh well. Thank you Vazkii for injecting pure fun into the game. Though might I add a suggestion: Maybe there could be some way to upgrade the spell programmer to load/save spell drives? Spell drives are awesome, but it gets a little excessive when you need to sift through 40 different drives in a chest.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

BlackPhoenix

Jul 29, 2019
i can't figure out closest to point (or any other of the entities section) for the life of me. the tutorial there isn't really a tutorial, and while i understand target (closest to which point), what is position and why does it need it?

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
i can't figure out closest to point (or any other of the entities section) for the life of me. the tutorial there isn't really a tutorial, and while i understand target (closest to which point), what is position and why does it need it?

Actually, you have it backwards. "Target", refers to the target list, while position specifies "closest to what".

Also, if you hold down shift while hovering over a piece, you can see what type each input is. That can help a lot with understanding how a given piece works.

BlackPhoenix

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, you have it backwards. "Target", refers to the target list, while position specifies "closest to what".

Also, if you hold down shift while hovering over a piece, you can see what type each input is. That can help a lot with understanding how a given piece works.
it says position is vector. how are vectors related? can you give me an example how to use closest to point?

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
it says position is vector. how are vectors related? can you give me an example how to use closest to point?
A vector is a 3-number construct that can either represent a position (like where you're standing), or a direction (like where you're looking). In this case, it's a position.

Code:
{spellName:"CtP Example",uuidMost:1997668495749103751L,validSpell:1b,spellList:[0:{spellPosX:2,spellData:{spellKey:"constantNumber",params:{},constantValue:"10"},spellPosY:5},1:{spellPosX:3,spellData:{spellKey:"selectorCaster",params:{}},spellPosY:3},2:{spellPosX:3,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorEntityPosition",params:{psi.spellparam.target:1}},spellPosY:4},3:{spellPosX:3,spellData:{spellKey:"selectorNearbyItems",params:{psi.spellparam.radius:3,psi.spellparam.position:1}},spellPosY:5},4:{spellPosX:4,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorEntityLook",params:{psi.spellparam.target:3}},spellPosY:3},5:{spellPosX:4,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorVectorRaycast",params:{psi.spellparam.ray:1,psi.spellparam.max:0,psi.spellparam.position:3}},spellPosY:4},6:{spellPosX:4,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorClosestToPoint",params:{psi.spellparam.position:1,psi.spellparam.target:3}},spellPosY:5},7:{spellPosX:5,spellData:{spellKey:"trickDebug",params:{psi.spellparam.number:0,psi.spellparam.target:3}},spellPosY:5}],uuidLeast:-7710322883449661005L}

Here's a fairly simple example of how to use "closest to point"
First, we have Selector: Caster. We get two vectors from that, your position, and the direction you're looking.
From those two pieces of information, the "vector raycast" gets the position of what you're looking at.
More Specifically, think of a laser going from your position, along the direction you're looking. The position of the first solid thing that laser hits, is going to be what Vector Raycast Returns.

Meanwhile, your position is also used to make a list of nearby items using the "Nearby Items" piece. In this case, items within 10 block of you.

Finally, we take the list of nearby items (the "Target"), and find the one closest to where you're looking at (the "Position" using the "Closest To Position" piece. Then we feed the result into the "Debug" trick because I wasn't feeling very creative.

I chose to use vector raycast, since it demonstrates nicely both uses of a vector. An alternative would be to use one of the alternate spell bullets, like projectile, where you can use the "focal point", to get where the spell went off. That's unlocked in Alternate Casting.

BlackPhoenix

Jul 29, 2019
A vector is a 3-number construct that can either represent a position (like where you're standing), or a direction (like where you're looking). In this case, it's a position.

Code:
{spellName:"CtP Example",uuidMost:1997668495749103751L,validSpell:1b,spellList:[0:{spellPosX:2,spellData:{spellKey:"constantNumber",params:{},constantValue:"10"},spellPosY:5},1:{spellPosX:3,spellData:{spellKey:"selectorCaster",params:{}},spellPosY:3},2:{spellPosX:3,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorEntityPosition",params:{psi.spellparam.target:1}},spellPosY:4},3:{spellPosX:3,spellData:{spellKey:"selectorNearbyItems",params:{psi.spellparam.radius:3,psi.spellparam.position:1}},spellPosY:5},4:{spellPosX:4,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorEntityLook",params:{psi.spellparam.target:3}},spellPosY:3},5:{spellPosX:4,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorVectorRaycast",params:{psi.spellparam.ray:1,psi.spellparam.max:0,psi.spellparam.position:3}},spellPosY:4},6:{spellPosX:4,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorClosestToPoint",params:{psi.spellparam.position:1,psi.spellparam.target:3}},spellPosY:5},7:{spellPosX:5,spellData:{spellKey:"trickDebug",params:{psi.spellparam.number:0,psi.spellparam.target:3}},spellPosY:5}],uuidLeast:-7710322883449661005L}

Here's a fairly simple example of how to use "closest to point"
First, we have Selector: Caster. We get two vectors from that, your position, and the direction you're looking.
From those two pieces of information, the "vector raycast" gets the position of what you're looking at.
More Specifically, think of a laser going from your position, along the direction you're looking. The position of the first solid thing that laser hits, is going to be what Vector Raycast Returns.

Meanwhile, your position is also used to make a list of nearby items using the "Nearby Items" piece. In this case, items within 10 block of you.

Finally, we take the list of nearby items (the "Target"), and find the one closest to where you're looking at (the "Position" using the "Closest To Position" piece. Then we feed the result into the "Debug" trick because I wasn't feeling very creative.

I chose to use vector raycast, since it demonstrates nicely both uses of a vector. An alternative would be to use one of the alternate spell bullets, like projectile, where you can use the "focal point", to get where the spell went off. That's unlocked in Alternate Casting.
explanations just make me more confused, i need an example. (that sounds ungrateful, which is not true, so i'm sorry for that)

BlackPhoenix

Jul 29, 2019
Example spell is in the spoilers block. Just copy to clipboard and paste it in.
oh thx, but i figured it out when relooking at your post. can't make it work with add motion, only with debug though, and the crashes every 2 minutes definitely don't help my frustration. anyway thanks a lot!

sadness255

Jul 29, 2019
Damn tried this mod today and i love it, i managed to kill myself when i wanted to make a greater infusion and forgot the spell bullet was a loophole, damn that was instant, the mod is kinda hard for idiots like me but i'm learning :)

K

Kentugetsu

Just started the mod a few days ago, having a lot of fun with it. The only suggestion I can think of would be hard asf to implement, but I think it would be cool if you could add something like Activation Sequences, or some other visual representation of spells when they're cast, so that I can have some idea what spells people are using against me.

D

Daarkvark

I don't know if this is fixed in a later version, but I'm on Psi build 14 and the Trick: Torrent allows me to create water in the nether. Is this a bug or no? As I see it, there is no other way to make a water source in the nether.
Love the mod btw. Keep up the great work! :D
2016-03-10_12.55.48.png

K

Kentugetsu

Lists look like they need some revamping, maybe. Only the 3 mass moves really use lists themselves, so more entity selectors would render them obsolete, and as it as a lot of the list operators (add/remove for example) aren't all that useful without individual entities to put in them. Could we maybe get some selectors for individual mob types, or some new tricks that actually use my supercustomized lists?

Tauzent Blitz

Jul 29, 2019
It's kinda annoying that fall damage is calculated by distance traveled and not fall speed. I thought adding a bit of upward motion and then a massive downward motion to an enemy would make a nice weapon, but unfortunately that's not how Minecraft works.

Reactions: Tylor

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
On the subject of fall damage, has anyone figured out a good way to do add motion to boots for a nice jump boost that won't kill you when you land?

nmdchiri

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if I'm too dense or something, but I can't find any possible way to use the Exosuit Leggings. Since it casts every single tick (and even if spells don't actually run a trick, they STILL take your mana) it quickly depletes my mana and then kills me. Is there any feasible way of using them?

Of course I could always switch the spell on, then switch to an empty slot, but that seems kinda pointless. It has three slots but I should always keep one empty so as not to get killed? By my own trousers???

Last edited:
K

Kentugetsu

There are a number of simple, low-cost spells that are good for keeping in pants. When in doubt, you an always check the spell developer for the energy cost, as anything under 30 or so should work perfectly with pants. For example, though, small-scale break/place block tricks, a conjure block magic carpet, and low-speed add-motions for extra jump height, fall damage reduction, sprint boost, etc. all work well in pants, sometimes better than they would in a loopcast.