[Poll] Do you use Gregtech?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Do you use gregtech?

• Total voters

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Why boilers need nerf? O_O
Look at these forums... There are tons of stuff like "I don't use boilers, I prefer combustion engines", "Steam turbines are underpowered, I use solololar panels". Heck, CovertJaguar almost agreed to me in the point that turbines are less useful compared to other powersources. Why nerf boilers? o_O

And turtles... It's just stupid to nerf them. Fuel is already made it more complicated since you should always check fuel level and somehow (enderchests?) refuel them. How do you want to nerf turtles?

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Look at these forums... There are tons of stuff like "I don't use boilers, I prefer combustion engines", "Steam turbines are underpowered, I use solololar panels". Heck, CovertJaguar almost agreed to me in the point that turbines are less useful compared to other powersources. Why nerf boilers? o_O
boilers give u lots of power without fusion reactor, boilers OP. nerf boilers.

That is a joke.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I'm under the impression that, excluding exploits, nerfing is really the wrong way to go in terms of energy generation. Limitations in a sandbox game is counterproductive to the genre*.

Or at least, in terms of a flat nerf. If they do a sort of half-nerf, half-buff thing that Forestry is doing with their biofuel generation, I can respect that. If they'd just flat decreased the amount of biofuel you could generate, they'd have a much worse reception to the news.

Boilers are underrated as it is. If anything, they need a buff in regards to certain things like steam turbines.

*- Yeah, I know that pretty much contradicts my sig. However, most of Greg's nerfs are the half-nerfs I mentioned. Like replacing a crafting recipe with a machine. He didn't make the recipe harder, he just provided a bit more of a time investment to access it, which usually gives you more of said recipe in the end, anyways.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Well, mostly because steve's carts and biofuel was too easy. Which of course, is being nerfed.

The gnashing to teeth is gonna make me giggle like a schoolgirl.

Heck, CovertJaguar almost agreed to me in the point that turbines are less useful compared to other powersources.

Oh but the big name developers all like to claim that they don't balance around other mods...and then they balance around other mods.

How do you want to nerf turtles?

Tools will break.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
That's not boiler's issue. It's trees. Trees are OP. Make saplings require diamond dust to grow.
no, made trees require 50 diamond dust and 40 trillion EU/t to grow one stage

Wait. How the frak would you get 40 trillion EU per tick? o.o

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Or at least, in terms of a flat nerf. If they do a sort of half-nerf, half-buff thing that Forestry is doing with their biofuel generation, I can respect that. If they'd just flat decreased the amount of biofuel you could generate, they'd have a much worse reception to the news.

Boilers are underrated as it is. If anything, they need a buff in regards to certain things like steam turbines
I suggested to CovertJaguar to make Steam Turbine be able to output up to 512Eu/t when connected to two 36HPs, but it doesn't seem like he like the idea... It's a bit of a buff in terms of efficiency, but not a significant buff. The main point is to make Turbine be more powerfull, so you have to build less of them.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I suggested to CovertJaguar to make Steam Turbine be able to output up to 512Eu/t when connected to two 36HPs, but it doesn't seem like he like the idea... It's a bit of a buff in terms of efficiency, but not a significant buff. The main point is to make Turbine be more powerfull, so you have to build less of them.

See, now I think that'd be a great idea.

I would even forego the eu/t increase if I just didn't have to micro manage the damn thing. Even if it's something I only have to look at once every couple of days, the thought that I have to manage it will eat at me. Making a lot of steam turbines would be annoying considering how much steel and space they take up, but I'd be fine with it so long as I didn't have to worry about replacing 50 rotors every couple of days.

In the end, they either need to be maintenance free, or provide large amounts of energy. You cannot have a crappy energy generating structure that requires you to babysit it. Especially if it's in a modpack like this. Nobody will use it.

Reactions: Talonar

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Well, mostly because steve's carts and biofuel was too easy. Which of course, is being nerfed.
*sigh* So, that's just a way to make combustion engines replace boilers. Not sure if there are good replacement for a solid fuel boiler...
Oh but the big name developers all like to claim that they don't balance around other mods...and then they balance around other mods.
That's a bit strange if you are making a power source for other mod (steam turbine)
Tools will break.
So they won't be stackable. It's an idiotic solution that destroys swarm-like programs when one turtle deploys a turtle army. And my program as well. And, yeah, that would make coding even more "fun".[DOUBLEPOST=1366796460][/DOUBLEPOST]
See, now I think that'd be a great idea.

I would even forego the eu/t increase if I just didn't have to micro manage the damn thing. Even if it's something I only have to look at once every couple of days, the thought that I have to manage it will eat at me. Making a lot of steam turbines would be annoying considering how much steel and space they take up, but I'd be fine with it so long as I didn't have to worry about replacing 50 rotors every couple of days.

In the end, they either need to be maintenance free, or provide large amounts of energy. You cannot have a crappy energy generating structure that requires you to babysit it. Especially if it's in a modpack like this. Nobody will use it.
I use them because I like the concept... But, yeah... that's might not be an option for somepony else.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Ominous warning. The message is even red, too. Red means bad. I might do what the message says.

So yeah GregTech is awesome I love pretty much everything about it... apple sauce. There we're back on topic.

FivEven

Jul 29, 2019
Vote option not found: "Yes, I enjoy machinery that is unique and fills the gaps in technological dead-zones, as well as many other capabilities not available otherwise, but do not enjoy Greg's applied theories of balancing to his own and other's mods."

Reactions: RedBoss

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I think Greg should add more energy-generating machines that compliment existing energy generation, but maybe with a higher material tier. The thermal generator comes to mind as an example.[DOUBLEPOST=1366798765][/DOUBLEPOST]
Vote option not found: "Yes, I enjoy machinery that is unique and fills the gaps in technological dead-zones, as well as many other capabilities not available otherwise, but do not enjoy Greg's applied theories of balancing to his own and other's mods."

No, that option is there.

It's the fourth one down from the top. Or the one right below that. You pick.

FivEven

Jul 29, 2019
I think Greg should add more energy-generating machines that compliment existing energy generation, but maybe with a higher material tier. The thermal generator comes to mind as an example.[DOUBLEPOST=1366798765][/DOUBLEPOST]

No, that option is there.

It's the fourth one down from the top. Or the one right below that. You pick.
That third one says something about easy mode. But I don't play the GregTech: Full Conversion mod pack.
Do the GregTech configs have that or any mode listed? I couldn't find it last time I looked. I had to make many minor adjustments instead.

Basically, I disagree with these unofficial "titles" and Greg's own default configuration choices. So I cannot vote in this particular thread, and instead talk about my thoughts on the subject with others.

Reactions: RedBoss

Kraviec

Jul 29, 2019
Used to hate it but as soon as I watched some vids and disabled recipes for other mods, I like it. Haven't gone too far into it yet but fusion reactor seems ridiculously massive and I like it. And with LESU I will be able to make a power storage as I imagined - big. I also wanted to make a big server room for AE drives but that was too costly and I can't get used to using terminals.
On the subtopic - I like what Sengir did. In order to produce decent amount of biomass, you need to go through some content that most probably wouldn't go. Forcing you to take the long way which isn't grind mining is cool IMO. Even more cool if trees are as fun as bees. Which I doubt, but again, before I tried bees, they were not interesting. Now they are fun as hell.

And a question: I disabled compressor storage blocks recipes but now there are no storage block recipes whatsoever. What do? Where do I find config that disables vanilla recipes?