[Poll] Do you use Gregtech?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Do you use gregtech?

• Total voters

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Um, can we leave what we think of modders as people to ourselves? Because such matters of opinion are never useful.
You could always change the config of nei to make you have to edit the config to go into cheat mode. But that just makes it just a tad more inconvenient IMO.
I wasn't saying cheat mode is a bad thing :p Sometimes it comes down to a choice between that and ragequitting. Well at least in singleplayer.
In multiplayer, my blown up stuff stays blown up whether I accept it or not :(

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Um, can we leave what we think of modders as people to ourselves? Because such matters of opinion are never useful.
If he wants to know why we do or don't use GT then I'm going to give him the only answer I have. If someone takes offense to me not liking someone; that's their problem.

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
Not GT specifically. It's the only thing I do like about his mod is that he makes most things configurable. Regardless I don't like him as a person and by extension his mod. When I meant non-configurability it was in reference to other mods.

I can not play a mod and still oppose or hate the mod.
So it sounds like you play mods so you can hate them, and you hate them because they change the vanilla game? I rarely see a mod without a config option/file, and most are highly configurable, even though less than GT. Although they may not allow config of what any particular person wants.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not going to take offence at someone not liking someone, I just don't think discussing not liking them is going to send this thread in a direction that's acceptable.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
So it sounds like you play mods so you can hate them, and you hate them because they change the vanilla game? I rarely see a mod without a config option/file, and most are highly configurable, even though less than GT. Although they may not allow config of what any particular person wants.
Not at all. I gave GT a try; absolutely hated it. As I said the only thing I agree with on GT is the density of his configuarability. Most mods should offer the same thing; many don't. As I said many mods balance numbers of nerfs against something that is automated with 24/7 uptime which is terrible for SSP. Most of the time they do this they don't give a person who plays SSP a way to balance it for themselves.

This is of course merely my opinion on the direction mods should take so whether they do is of no real consequence. It simply means the number of mods I'll use either changes or dwindles.

It doesn't. But being able to recognize the lack of value in something too easy does.

I play with GregTech in single player too

"too easy" is such a vague statement that means completely different things to every different person. I hardly find the motivation to move past the first tier of machines in most worlds. Making that more difficult simply means I'd get bored of worlds sooner.

And good for you; I don't feel like spending the time on it.

I'm not going to take offence at someone not liking someone, I just don't think discussing not liking them is going to send this thread in a direction that's acceptable.

So don't discuss it. Accept it as a valid opinion and move on.

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't saying cheat mode is a bad thing :p Sometimes it comes down to a choice between that and ragequitting. Well at least in singleplayer.
In multiplayer, my blown up stuff stays blown up whether I accept it or not :(

Agreed, it's prevented me too mainly since some bugs cleared inventory or whathaveyou. I'm one of those disciplined enough to not cheat while using it though.

Reactions: EternalDensity

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
And there are people who still say that they don't understand why Gregtech polarizes the community so much... The mod basically kind of broke a taboo when it started messing around with the recipes and behavior of other mods, it's most certainly a unique design decision. I do need to say again, that my opinion is that continuing with the trend of trying to maintain balance(GT balance) by messing around with the way other mods work is a bad decision in my opinion. It's unsustainable in the long term, there's no way he'll be able to control what other mods will be running in parallel with his mod, so why do it? He nerfed macerator, oh, great, Pulverizer still easily available, and arguably better option at least before overclockers become available. Nerf that too? Probably another block capable of doing the same thing added later, and so on. Not to mention that any time soon, some mod author will probably take offense and take steps to make GT unable to change behaviour or recipes for their mod. Even if that doesn't happen, FTB and other packs will still grow, add other mods, balance will continue to change... I mean, EE3 isn't even fully featured yet, when we start getting back some of the options from EE2 balance will shift dramatically again. Addition of MFR changed a lot of stuff... Not saying it will get that far, but does seem like it. At first GT only modified parts of IC2, then it started splashing out. Only GT knows what GT will become in the future. I, for one, would like to see GT becoming independent, not an addon anymore, and balancing out it's early/mid/late/end/post-late/galactic/hyperdimensional however it wants, and leaving other mods alone. Personal opinion. Everyone who likes the way GT balances itself, can use GT's blocks, and be done with it. It's disruptive behavior on a modpack.

Reactions: RedBoss and Hoff

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
It's only cheating (to me) if you show off your awesome 'survival' build and don't tell anyone about all the free stuff you made out of thin air :p

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
This is gunna go to hell in a hand basket real quick.

I have been watching the thread, Hoping it doesn't go there. :p

Stating your own opinion is fine, It becomes a problem when people start making comments on other peoples opinions then it starts a debate why you should(n't) like such a thing.

All GT and RP threads seem not to understand that but. so 80% ish of threads on them two topics get locked.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Glad to see so many people play with HM GT.

I was beginning to think I was a minority. Happy to be proved wrong, this time.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest. It's not a big deal to play hard GT while you have TE with default recipes and EE3...

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
GT ships broken but since you can fix it with config files I don't see an issue.

Messing around with the recipes for other mods seems kind of futile, at least in a modpack environment. Every time you make something take longer it is an opportunity for a modder out there to add a desirable feature to their mod.

Reactions: RedBoss

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
"too easy" is such a vague statement that means completely different things to every different person. I hardly find the motivation to move past the first tier of machines in most worlds. Making that more difficult simply means I'd get bored of worlds sooner.

I'm not sure why your ADD matters.

You're really gonna be fun to watch when your head explodes when you hear about the Railcraft boiler and Turtle nerfs.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure why your ADD matters.

You're really gonna be fun to watch when your head explodes when you hear about the Railcraft boiler and Turtle nerfs.

Wait, Railcraft boilers are getting a nerf?

That's a load of crap. I like them. :[

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Glad to see so many people play with HM GT.

I was beginning to think I was a minority. Happy to be proved wrong, this time.
At first, it was kinda forced upon me... but I learned to love it! And now I wouldn't play without it. And if I ever get this Let's Play thing with one of my school friends going... mwahahahahahahaha. My inner sadist will have a great time.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Sure are, but hey it's CovertJaguar nerfing them so it's still Greg's fault.

Just out of curiosity, could you link me to a quote on said nerf?

I'm curious to see how much it impacts my power generation. I poked around the Railcraft forum post and the wiki and I couldn't really see anything about boiler changes in the planned changes.