[Poll] Do you use Gregtech?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Do you use gregtech?

• Total voters

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
I have a preety good analogy to IC2 and GregTech:
IC2 is like a basic chemistry kit and LEGO PowerFunctions (RE controlled motors). You can do some preety cool stuff with it, but it isn't as automated as it could be.
GregTech is like IC2 plus an advanced chemistry kit and LEGO Mindstorms (basically LEGO robots) with some added sensors. It is hard and has a difficulty curve similar to a brick wall, but once you get past it, it is excellent and complex.

Reactions: netmc

oirelando

Jul 29, 2019
i have it disabled but it doesnt really affect me cuz im a thaumaturge for the most part but thought id put me two cents in anyways.
P.S. im also a crazy bee lady so tinyist bit of buildcraft.

Reactions: RedBoss

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
In a game like minecraft, the only way you can really measure difficulty is through time commitment.

It's not 'difficult' in the way that we normally define it, but it's as good as you can get in a sandbox game. The only form of difficulty that I could see fitting more would be a puzzle-based difficulty. Where the only way you can progress at all is through ingenuity and puzzle solving.

I don't know about you guys, but I think I'll take time commitment over that. Namely because once a puzzle is solved once, it is solved forever for everyone. That's just how the internet works. With a time commitment... you can't cheat a time commitment except through exploits and ingenuity. And if you manage to do that, I think you've earned it.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
That's the forestry bronze nerf. The IC2 one by combining dusts doesn't have a config. Yes, I do happen to know what I'm talking about.

Except you clearly don't. The IC2 recipe always makes two. Gregtech or otherwise. There is no nerf.

Reactions: Hoff

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Putting Doctor and I on the same side of an argument. The impossible has been completed.

Reactions: RedBoss

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's a big stretch to do so. Time spent isn't a very good measure of difficulty imo.

I never said it was.

I just said that if we're going to measure difficulty in this game, that's the only way to do it. It's a sandbox game. Not an RPG. If we aren't going to measure difficulty, that's fine too, though.

Playing GT HM isn't really difficult for me, obviously. It simply takes more time. Meaning, it gives me more things to do, and allows me to play the game for longer. I'm not a particularly artistic person, so without a tangible line of progression to follow, I quickly lose focus and move on to something more captivating. I imagine GT fits the needs of a lot of other people like me. Similarly, if that line of progression takes me five minutes to achieve, I get to the end faster and the fun is done quicker. Hence, HM.

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
I change it to what i call "Non-interference mode"
As long as Gregtech does'nt change recipes i've been used to for a very long time, i don't mind.

Theres parts of it i use. Some of the low end generators, Extra UUM recipes... But having to use a compressor for storage blocks? And a (Rather expensive) macerator to change them back? No.. .No... you leave that stuff alone. And i primarily only want to be able to make storage blocks on the fly for Glowstone dust and Iron for anvils.

Though honestly, I'm waiting for Tinkerers construct. I belive they have a way of making storage blocks VIA melting them and pouring into a block mold. If this ends up being true, I'll be adding it to ultimate (If it's not added on it's own). And with that mod, I will never macerate or such again. It's far to satisfying for me to pour out ingots, AND get nearly double ore. I would also become a convert and go from tech mods to magical. Thaumcraft, Ars Magica, and Tinkerers. I prefer to hand mine, and these mods together make a solo existance without power ~FUN~

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
I never said it was.

I just said that if we're going to measure difficulty in this game, that's the only way to do it. It's a sandbox game. Not an RPG. If we aren't going to measure difficulty, that's fine too, though.

Playing GT HM isn't really difficult for me, obviously. It simply takes more time. Meaning, it gives me more things to do, and allows me to play the game for longer. I'm not a particularly artistic person, so without a tangible line of progression to follow, I quickly lose focus and move on to something more captivating. I imagine GT fits the needs of a lot of other people like me. Similarly, if that line of progression takes me five minutes to achieve, I get to the end faster and the fun is done quicker. Hence, HM.

I do kind of agree with this. Difficulty is hard to quantify before you introduce the concept to a sandbox game. One of my favourite games from the past was the Monster Hunter series, where a large aspect of the difficulty is around time spent grinding. To kill the hardest enemies you normally had to have the best resources. However if you were skilled enough you could use lower end gear. I think it would be great if something like this was implement into GregTech. You can achieve any goal by grinding, but maybe you could also achieve these goals in other ways. Personally I have no problem with grinding but I know people who normally don't even mine in Vanilla. I don't really know how this system would even work but it'd be cool, and I'm tired and rambling

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The tangible line of progression is what I hate more than anything. I just wanted the nifty armor and a machine to dig up building materials. I even tried Gregtech for a while and it drained my fun in the game. I just want to build some stuff to power my quarry and build some awesome stuff like a cool base, or village. Then when I have structures built, i'll fill them with gadgets as I see a need. I even tried a few FTB servers in an effort to pool effort against Greg and I found so many issues like banned items, no open slots, or too much chatting. I have a friend with an Ultimate server that I have admin status on but his base lags me out since there's like 12 boilers, a few fusion reactors and mob farms all over. So the SMP aspect of fighting Greg is out for me.

Admittedly that's just MY game style but I guess I'm a casual tech mod player. When I see people with colossal energy systems I'm in awe, but I just never see the point since I only need 1 quarry, ready access to my machines, and to keep my armor & tools charged. I don't want to grind on a machine system when I could be building a castle from cool non-vanilla materials, or fighting non-vanilla mobs, or messing about with bees. It all just tells me that FTB just isn't going to solve my issues and custom packs will be my future in modded MC.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I just recently started on a private server. We have it set on hard mode. The only gregtech things I have are 30 thermal generators and an industrial grinder.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
The tangible line of progression is what I hate more than anything. I just wanted the nifty armor and a machine to dig up building materials. I even tried Gregtech for a while and it drained my fun in the game. I just want to build some stuff to power my quarry and build some awesome stuff like a cool base, or village. Then when I have structures built, i'll fill them with gadgets as I see a need. I even tried a few FTB servers in an effort to pool effort against Greg and I found so many issues like banned items, no open slots, or too much chatting. I have a friend with an Ultimate server that I have admin status on but his base lags me out since there's like 12 boilers, a few fusion reactors and mob farms all over. So the SMP aspect of fighting Greg is out for me.

Admittedly that's just MY game style but I guess I'm a casual tech mod player. When I see people with colossal energy systems I'm in awe, but I just never see the point since I only need 1 quarry, ready access to my machines, and to keep my armor & tools charged. I don't want to grind on a machine system when I could be building a castle from cool non-vanilla materials, or fighting non-vanilla mobs, or messing about with bees. It all just tells me that FTB just isn't going to solve my issues and custom packs will be my future in modded MC.

And see... for me, it's not about using those massive energy systems. It's just about sitting back and thinking... man, even if I never need more than one quarry, I could run 30 of them if I really wanted to.

I love everything in excess. Power. Items. Liquids. You name it. That's my form of creativity; see how big the numbers can go.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
And see... for me, it's not about using those massive energy systems. It's just about sitting back and thinking... man, even if I never need more than one quarry, I could run 30 of them if I really wanted to.

I love everything in excess. Power. Items. Liquids. You name it. That's my form of creativity; see how big the numbers can go.
Many times too often I like having everything in excess and I want to try every mod and I want to make new builds and fight new mobs.

And that's why I've never gotten past mid-game. Oops.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
Many times too often I like having everything in excess and I want to try every mod and I want to make new builds and fight new mobs.

And that's why I've never gotten past mid-game. Oops.
same here I do like some of the items gregtech has but it's time and I get easily distracted by other things in other mods. I like gregtech because it causes me to figure out other ways to get some of the things other ways or with other mods to solve a problem that I would have used basic ic2

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
So my feelings on Gregtech have changed a little. At this point I don't care for the mod any more. I've had two explosions at my base. One was an AESU sitting between two ultimate solars. I'm guessing the AESU was hit by lightning (not sure). Anyway big crater. The second as an electric crafting cable connected to 32 eu/t glass fiber it was in the middle of a bunch of RP2 machines. I was breaking down all of the RP2 machines with a my drill. And guess what I hit the electric crafting table. While I don't mind loosing the electric crafting table to a machine block does it really need to blow up? Anyway I lost all of the RP2 machinery and had another crater in my place.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a test. Go find some industrial machine, probably in a power plant or manufactory. Now disassemble it with a pickaxe. While powered. And on

IC2s base wrench mechanic is a lot stupider than rain explosions too.

Never blew up a machine (outside creative). But did you know feeding a fusion reactor straight into a mfsu does quite a big one ....oh but wait, mfsu isn't gregtech! How can that beeeeeeee.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I've actually only blown up two or three machines. I don't see how people make such a habit of doing that. On top of that, everyone always stacks all of aforementioned volatile machines one on top of the other. Why? Why do that?

I do it to an extent, but I have enough experience with IC2 to not connect my MFSU straight to my conga line of low-tier machines. And if they do blow, I only lose a few centrifuges. I don't lose my centrifuges, industrial blast furnaces, grinders, implosion compressors, furnaces, and generators.