[Poll] Do you use Gregtech?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Do you use gregtech?

• Total voters

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
So, Greg decided to kill Steam Turbines entirely. OK.

> Flint'n'steel
Ha said, that there are will be some one-use igniters. Honestly, I normally use f&s only once - to light the Nether Portal

Honestly, I'd blame CJ for killing steam turbines, not Greg.

It's more like putting them out of their misery at this point. It's a very cool idea, but it's obviously for a very specific type of player - one that you don't find often in FTB.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah.. But there in lies the problem. A few revision ago of GT it used to just destroy the item (revert to a machine block). Why does it need to blow up other than good old Greg wants it to. I actually understand and have no problem with losing the item if I hit it with the wrong tool. I am also OK with it blowing up if I hook up 128 eu/t to a 32 eu/t machine. But I can not and will not agree that it needs to blow up when I hit it with the wrong tool. I actually argued to have GT back in December when the mindcrack pack 1st came out. At this point I am considering pulling it from the server by switching the server over to DW20. We already have mystcaft added manually. The only big changes are the removal of GT and addition of AE.

"B:explosions_on_nonwrenching=false"
Something you might want to consider.

Berserkenstein

Jul 29, 2019
I always thought the item flint and steel was interesting. It was actually the reason I called all of my iron items steel, even though I knew they were made from iron.

That thing better have better durability if it's made from steel, though.

I've had one of these things for years and I light fires all the time. It's magnesium though, flint and steel aren't less durable.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I'd blame CJ for killing steam turbines, not Greg.

It's more like putting them out of their misery at this point. It's a very cool idea, but it's obviously for a very specific type of player - one that you don't find often in FTB.
I actually like railcraft because it is on more conservative side of balance. In my 1.5 world (exploity one) I play without RC and GT (there was no RC at the time I started). In a few hours I build good power source and this aspect of the game is finished. You don't really need more energy than ~500 Eu/t to have sufficient amount of UU matter for everything. Generating energy is trivial and RC provides awesome way to do it, so in normal world I will use steam turbines because they are awesome. Modded minecraft with so many mods has even more exploits, after some time you don't really care what combination of mods will make it more efficient.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I actually like railcraft because it is on more conservative side of balance. In my 1.5 world (exploity one) I play without RC and GT (there was no RC at the time I started). In a few hours I build good power source and this aspect of the game is finished. You don't really need more energy than ~500 Eu/t to have sufficient amount of UU matter for everything. Generating energy is trivial and RC provides awesome way to do it, so in normal world I will use steam turbines because they are awesome. Modded minecraft with so many mods has even more exploits, after some time you don't really care what combination of mods will make it more efficient.

Frankly, I consider anything less than 1.5k eu/t to be far too low for my tastes.

500 eu/t MIGHT be okay on a multiplayer server where I can leave me matter fabricator running all night.

On a singleplayer server, I'd never get anything done. Unless you're not using GT. Then yeah, I imagine that's just fine.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I just read in the gregtech-thread (IC2-forum), that there'll be a new machine. a steam generator. greg posted a picture. (or it's just the standard generator, now able to consume steam through a liquiduct... giving the generator some meaning).

and he changed a vanilla item. actually, he changed the recipe in a way, that it really matches the items name.

he is right, the items name isn't flint and iron...

Isn't there already a Steam Turbine?

EDIT: Hm. People beat me to this conclusion.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
I just don't use IC2/ or any of that stuff, including Gregtech, never like that kind of mods in general.
Tho if i did, never saw the point of using Grecgtech anyways other than a couple of ok machines, its just fluff about how "it makes the game more difficult" (which really doesn't) not much beyond that.

Reactions: RedBoss and Hoff

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I wonder how different this thread would be if there was no TE.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if I'd even play this game without it. I love RedPower, but take away Thermal Expansion and I'll just go play Skyrim

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I don't know if I'd even play this game without it. I love RedPower, but take away Thermal Expansion and I'll just go play Skyrim
Yeah but as many people that use hard mode GT note; it is much more easily handled because you can start on TE instead fairly cheaply. I wonder how many would still go through the grind.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
I tried Gregtech before TE was there, and it definitely influenced my opinion on the mod. Back then there was no ore doubling option outside of IC2. So, when i found out what the goddamn recipe for the macerator changed into, i basically freaked out. These days, IC2 is more of a useful mod rather than a must have like it was before. Especially now with MPS. These days it's pretty much UU matter that everyone uses IC2 for...

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I've mentioned before that the only way I got through the mindcrack pack was through using TE and turtles. Gregtech was a wall that was best dealt with by ignoring it. Looking back on that process (and learning mods in general) TE is still what I use to process ores and gregtech only served to delay me from getting into IC2 tools and making a quarry more expensive. There's some things that I want to do in 1.5.1 with gregtech that I haven't seen a lot of people doing, but it'll be an after thought, not the goal. I just don't use IC2 that much at all other than needing fast processing when I'm making stuff for IC2 & its addons like the quantum armor.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. I've always considered Gregtech to be there to unify mods' tech.

And to offer a few lovely stuffage.
Dragon egg Siphon
Industrial Grinder
Industrial Centrifuge/Electrolyzer (basically a less refined MineChem)
Superconductor
Industrial Blast Furnace (fastest way to make Steel!)
Electric Translocator. Sure, they might be expensive and not very convenient, but they sure as (censored) look awesome!
And the IDSU.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I can understand why people don't like GregTech. I even respect that a lot of people don't like GregTech, because I even find some bits of it to be annoying.

But, what I get hung up on is... if the crafting recipes aren't 'difficult', then why not use them?

I don't consider them to be even tedious. You can automate just about everything in this game, so the recipes being tedious isn't even a reasonable excuse. You just have to apply that ingenuity in a skillful manner to make the process easier.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
I hate it because it makes a lot of recipies it hasn't really any right to change unobtainabley hard.

Simple macerator? Better get some diamonds bitch

I mean there's some really nice stuff, And i like that stuff, But it's horribly documented and difficult, It would take me all day to get a simple quarry for myself

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I hate it because it makes a lot of recipies it hasn't really any right to change unobtainabley hard.

Simple macerator? Better get some diamonds bitch

I mean there's some really nice stuff, And i like that stuff, But it's horribly documented and difficult, It would take me all day to get a simple quarry for myself

Well, honestly I never even delve into the modded part of FTB until I've covered most of the overworld content, such as getting a decent amount of diamonds. For early ore-doubling, I'd suggest the Quartz Grindstone.

Also, I wouldn't call any of its recipes unobtainably hard. Or at least, none of the recipes it changed. For me, GregTech balanced the entire game. Without it, getting things like the macerator wouldn't take any time at all. And again, I don't necessarily agree with all of the recipes he changed, but none of them are so far-gone that they're overly impractical. At very least, I had no trouble getting to mid-game. It took me some time, but that was because I was juggling about half a dozen mods. Were I simply focusing on IC2 and GT, I'd have gotten there within a few days. Without GT, I'd have gotten to that point quite a bit earlier. There'd have been no challenge to it.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
That they're possible does not mean they're worth it.
For example, if a mod made a furnace to cost 9 diamonds, altho not really that difficult to get, its definitely not worth it.

Also basically according to that last sentence, the only "challenge" you have is having to grind materials, putting a handicap on your gameplay to try to prolong it as much as you can by using time on pointless tasks, and altho its nice that you find that entertaining, others may just find it tedious, a chore.

Not everyone thinks getting to late-game points = bored and don't want to pay anymore, others think that's just where the fun starts, for whatever reason.

You have to keep in mind some people LIKE getting to that point in the game as soon as possible so they can start having fun.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I'm pretty sure that getting diamonds before getting a furnace would probably be impossible. Maybe.

In any case, it would be wildly impractical. How many people actually have an established power source before they've even gotten their first diamond? Maybe there are some people out there that do it, but I certainly wouldn't want to. I like to have an established foundation of materials before I start delving into that stuff. By the time I start using macerators, I usually have at least 10-30 diamonds. So, for me, it's well worth it.

And no. I never grind materials once I get out of my 'vanilla phase'. Ever. Anyone who does simply isn't using the mods available correctly. Quarries and turtles exist so that grinding is never an issue. If you are sufficiently skilled, there is almost nothing in this game that needs to be grinded, given the massive amount of possibilities.

And hey, if you like getting to endgame ASAP, that's great. As the poll shows, there are certainly people who don't use GregTech.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I'm pretty sure that getting diamonds before getting a furnace would probably be impossible. Maybe.

In any case, it would be wildly impractical. How many people actually have an established power source before they've even gotten their first diamond? Maybe there are some people out there that do it, but I certainly wouldn't want to. I like to have an established foundation of materials before I start delving into that stuff. By the time I start using macerators, I usually have at least 10-30 diamonds.

....really, you're going to be that guy?

You<---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->The Point

Anywho, I'm out, I've said my point, not going to get into another argument where the other side just tries to avoid and disfigure the point I am trying to make, interpret it as you will, that's all I have to say on the matter (Heck, I was only planning to make that one post back then, since I knew something like this would happen, it always does in GT threads.), if you want to believe you won the argument, be my guest.