[Poll] Do you use Gregtech?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Do you use gregtech?

• Total voters

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech can be fully ignored if you want.
I think I have a point here, don't I?
You can ignore it to a point but he makes other things harder to make and things like the diamond bees produce diamond dust not simply a diamond.
So you'll get to a point where you cannot ignore GT.

On the note of how hard GT machines are to make... If anyone hasn't seen the new fusion reactor lmao.... Its its literally the most insane thing I've ever seen in minecraft.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
You can ignore it to a point but he makes other things harder to make and things like the diamond bees produce diamond dust not simply a diamond.
So you'll get to a point where you cannot ignore GT.

On the note of how hard GT machines are to make... If anyone hasn't seen the new fusion reactor lmao.... Its its literally the most insane thing I've ever seen in minecraft.
I mean that you can change in the config.
You can disable that.
You don't need to do what Greg kind of forces you to do. But some people will like, some people will not.
But it is fully customizable and everything it nerfs can be removed.
That's some kudos for Greg there.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I mean that you can change in the config.
You can disable that.
You don't need to do what Greg kind of forces you to do. But some people will like, some people will not.
But it is fully customizable and everything it nerfs can be removed.
That's some kudos for Greg there.

[My emphasis], and that's really the point, isn't it? Velotican even made (several) configs so you don't have to muck about with it yourself. This whole discussion has been silly for months now.

Reactions: RedBoss

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Rarity of diamonds realy is exaggerated a bit, but company induced price gouging is not the only reason they're expensive. Yes, there's a world monopoly on diamonds by De Beers, and they're as cutthroat a company as it can get, but the main reason diamonds are so expensive, is because good diamonds are rare as fuck. Although diamonds are not insanely rare as one might think (most rare earth metals are insanely rarer and difficult to get), jewel-grade diamond is, in fact, rare as fuck. For a diamond to be crystal-clear and perfect, it has to form deep underground, under massive amounts of pressure and heat, but at the same time, somehow, keep away impurities, which is notoriously difficult, since it's forming in the middle of the goddamn earth inside a pocket of lava that's being compressed and churned around. Yeah. To further compound the issue, these occurrences tend to give formation to small jewel grade diamonds, not the big rocks you find used in the insane-expensive jewelry. So, not only most of the diamonds are small, they're also impure, which makes finding the really good really pretty diamonds something hard as fuck. Which drives the price up. Not only that, even when you have a big enough diamond you can make a pretty jewel out of, you still have to chisel most of it away. Meaning even bigger diamonds are needed. It's not just impurities, either. Cracks in the crystalline lattice structure can and will change the outer look of the diamond, and sometimes alter the way the light refracts on the diamond, changing it's color as well, giving it an array of hues (some of which are even rarer and sought after than crystal clear diamonds). Diamonds for industrial use, however, are very much easier to come around, especially since most of the time you only need a shitton of really small diamonds to make a coating for something.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
same question here.

I'm currently waiting for the update to 1.5.1 or higher, because Greg added some weird funny things that compete with extrabees.

IC2 has it's own farming system with a little plant breeding system. so he added new crops which are even capable of producing gems or ores. lets see, if this feature works like intended... could be a lot of fun.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
GT was good be fore he plaaned to chage the damm f** fusion reactor .. SNIFF, my beautiful build :(
Even though it's (three times!) more expensive, the new fusion reactor is even more BADASS and AWESOME than it was before. I like this new fusion reactor.

Sent from my phone using black magic

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
That interesting real-life stuff relates to Minecraft/GregTech how exactly?

People were talking about availability of diamonds, ease of access, etc... Someone said diamonds aren't even that rare in RL, so i thought i'd expand a bit on that, because while it is technically true, a statement like that, taken at face value, may lead to wrong conclusions. Ore rarity and distribution in Minecraft is completely and totally fictional and has nothing to do whatsoever with how resources are distributed in RL. Minecraft would actually be unplayable if it tried to perfectly emulate mineral availability.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
same question here.

I'm currently waiting for the update to 1.5.1 or higher, because Greg added some weird funny things that compete with extrabees.

Well, he added some plants to IC2 crops. IC2 crops predate extra bees, but like base forestry bees, were mostly useless. GregTech simply adds useful crops.

If that's competition, then I suppose. Methodology is totally different.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla IC2 gave you a plant for Sticky Resin, it gave you a way of getting String before Flax, and also a plant that gave you Redstone. That's pretty useful to me. Especially since without Forestry, Sticky Reeds are the only way of automating sticky resin/rubber production. Renewable redstone is pretty balls as well.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla IC2? Isn't that a contradiction?

Not necessarily. I think it depends more on the context.

IC2 without any additional features is technically vanilla. If you're referring to Minecraft on the whole, then yeah, it's a contradiction. If you're just referring to the mod, then I don't think it necessarily has to be.

radon

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech is modestly saying awesome, actually, it's way more than that. Sure I've had my share of jaw-dropping experiences when looking at the total costs of recipes. Yet, in the end, I really like how Gregtech extends the possibilities one can do.

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech can be fully ignored if you want.
I think I have a point here, don't I?

Fully ignored? How the hell do you figure that?

You must not actually be playing FTB, because even the Anvil, the basic anvil is screwed up by gregtech.

You may wish to play the modpack before giving opinions on it.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Fully ignored? How the hell do you figure that?

You must not actually be playing FTB, because even the Anvil, the basic anvil is screwed up by gregtech.

You may wish to play the modpack before giving opinions on it.
Configs?
They can disable GT's modifications.
So I have a point, you "configs? What is that black magic?" dumbass...