[Poll] Do you use Gregtech?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Do you use gregtech?

• Total voters

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
But, what I get hung up on is... if the crafting recipes aren't 'difficult', then why not use them?

I don't consider them to be even tedious. You can automate just about everything in this game, so the recipes being tedious isn't even a reasonable excuse. You just have to apply that ingenuity in a skillful manner to make the process easier.

Because I don't want recipes that take longer and I don't want recipes I don't know. People can spout bullshit about being un-changing being bad or whatever they wanna say; idrgaf. Also not everyone seeks to automate everything. I've been through that phase of my modded MC experience and it was boring as shit to me.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
....really, you're going to be that guy?

You<---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->The Point

No, I understood your point.

But there's a difference between something being 'not worth it', and being wildly impractical. There's also a difference between something being not worth it, and something being absolutely worth it. Comparing a furnace made of diamonds to a macerator that costs three is literally comparing apples to oranges.

For three diamonds, you get a machine that will infinitely double the ores that you mine. If you're not willing to sacrifice three measly diamonds, Quartz Grindstones are there for the exact same purpose, and were likely implemented for people who have difficulties doing stuff like mining.

Hoff said:
Because I don't want recipes that take longer and I don't want recipes I don't know. People can spout bullshit about being un-changing being bad or whatever they wanna say; idrgaf. Also not everyone seeks to automate everything. I've been through that phase of my modded MC experience and it was boring as shit to me.

I have trouble believing that first sentence, considering that you're playing modded Minecraft.

And if you don't want to automate everything, that's fine. Don't use GT. Just don't use grinding being tedious as an excuse, because there's a very simple work around to that.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I'm pretty sure that getting diamonds before getting a furnace would probably be impossible. Maybe.

In any case, it would be wildly impractical. How many people actually have an established power source before they've even gotten their first diamond? Maybe there are some people out there that do it, but I certainly wouldn't want to. I like to have an established foundation of materials before I start delving into that stuff. By the time I start using macerators, I usually have at least 10-30 diamonds. So, for me, it's well worth it.

And no. I never grind materials once I get out of my 'vanilla phase'. Ever. Anyone who does simply isn't using the mods available correctly. Quarries and turtles exist so that grinding is never an issue. If you are sufficiently skilled, there is almost nothing in this game that needs to be grinded, given the massive amount of possibilities.

And hey, if you like getting to endgame ASAP, that's great. As the poll shows, there are certainly people who don't use GregTech.

Getting Diamonds before getting a furnace is a question of having enough luck/good enough seed to find a nice Desert Temple/Village/Mineshaft with lots of diamonds in a chest. That's pretty easy.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Getting Diamonds before getting a furnace is a question of having enough luck/good enough seed to find a nice Desert Temple/Village/Mineshaft with lots of diamonds in a chest. That's pretty easy.

That's actually true, but it's beside the point.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You don't even need diamonds just a pick.

From the chests that is.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
I just dont like some of the mechanics and features it changes or disables,

You do far less work and gain far less results.
And it isn't even like it's balanced, It's just time wasting,
Especially if you don't have ages to spend playing,
i kind of liked being able to get machinery reasonabley quickly,
I mean i didn't quite want
"You must dick around for (Insert timer here) Before you can play with electricity"
i mean you can go on about balance but to me it just takes the point out, Fun.
Greg tech isn't fun, And i thought that was at least kind of the point of video games

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
My last word on this topic, I use GT for the sole reason "ITS ON SERVERS I PLAY ON" if I am testing offline or as I am doing atm testing out most updated mods that will be in one pack or the other I dont bother with gt as it has no use to me for said testing, all these oh is gt ubber/op/garbage/blah blah do nothing but hype a mod that in no way deserves this amount of attention, for me the author acts like some mod god & how this can be justified begs belief, do we make topic after topic about thermal expansion, no why not we all use it even more than gt ?, mho is core mods like ic2/bc/te & yes rp are not even up for debate we just get on with it, this constant hyping of greg & his mod is what ppl like that live off (a case of love me or hate me but for the love of god never ignore me), I am starting to dislike gt the more gt this & gt that crap "yes for the most part all are crap" post I see pollute these forums.

We all have an opinion & the freedom of these forums to express it, but why oh why do we need to keep rehashing the same old covered ground over & over, I am normally polite at all times in all posts & replies but this is getting old, if I offend any ones love of GT plz send me a PM about it, but plz let this beast die of hunger...

"unwatch tread"

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
i mean you can go on about balance but to me it just takes the point out, Fun.
Greg tech isn't fun,

for you.

I actually have quite a lot of fun with GT. I played without it once. I accomplished everything I wanted to accomplish in less than a week, and then spent the next two days running around my base thinking of new things to waste my time on.

I can understand that people don't have fun with it. I genuinely understand the viewpoint. My only point was that GT being grindy is about as reasonable as not liking FTB in general because it's grindy. Automating material production and refinement takes the grind out of GT just like it does with every single mod in this modpack.

There are a lot of reasons to not like GT. I just don't agree with that one.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
for you.

I actually have quite a lot of fun with GT. I played without it once. I accomplished everything I wanted to accomplish in less than a week, and then spent the next two days running around my base thinking of new things to waste my time on.

I can understand that people don't have fun with it. I genuinely understand the viewpoint. My only point was that GT being grindy is about as reasonable as not liking FTB in general because it's grindy. Automating material production and refinement takes the grind out of GT just like it does with every single mod in this modpack.

There are a lot of reasons to not like GT. I just don't agree with that one.

What reasons are those

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm the guy who pretty much invented GregTech Easy Mode. I never intended to do that but hey, here we are.

My server uses the standard GregTech configs. (-ish) Whether GregTech is balanced or not depends on two things to me:

1) Does the game run 24/7 (i.e. a server) or just when you're playing (single-player or a very small server)? GregTech assumes the game's up 24/7.
2) How often do you play? GT assumes you're playing daily for several hours, enough to maintain and extend your infrastructure before leaving it to run overnight again.

It's not universal, but people who invest a lot of time into FTB play on servers with quarries running overnight to farm material for them and on top of that you can now autoprocess your quarry output with an AE system and it's not particularly difficult to set up either. All you have to do is find an oil well to build your base by and you're set for a long time - long enough to transition into nuclear reactors and be set forever, or at least until you obtain access to fusion power.

GT is balanced based on a lot of assumptions that certainly don't apply to everyone. On the other hand, for the people who GT is balanced for, not having it around makes the game trivial to master, because they have the time and knowledge to invest in rapid progress. I'm glad it's around because even with it on Hard Mode I've been able to find novel ways to circumvent and trivialise its behaviour and nerfs. Perhaps I'm just especially skilled but I'd rather not make that assumption. :)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
What reasons are those
You mean the reasons not to like GregTech? Mostly because it slows down the game.

The real issue people have with GregTech is that it delays damn near everything "endgame" and even some things people don't consider "endgame" even if they really are.
For example, BC quarries. That's a endgame item actually, as it gathers way more resources then the user can, and does so much faster(well, can anyway, assuming it gets enough power). Yes, it doesn't mine specific blocks. That's in some ways better as it will provide the player with large amounts of building supplies or scrap fodder.
Quantum Armor is obviously end game. That's kind of the point of it. And the only real block between people and their Q-Suits was a mass fab. Considering how powerful the Q-Suit is, I always thought that it was too easy to get.(set up a good nuclear reactor and make sure you have tons of scrap and you'll be swimming in UUM in no time) Now you need to mine several blocks of iridium to be able to make a matter fabricator, and there is 1 block of iridium every five chunks. Roughly.
So this has lead to players just using the quarry and strip mining massive swaths of land to get enough iridium to get their Q-Suits, which bugs my "don't despoil the land needlessly" mindset in Minecraft. Well, I have been known to set forest on fire with a wrath igniter so I can find my way out of them. But I ignite the leaves when I do this, mostly because the leaves are better connected.

Some people might be saying "But the Macerator requires DIAMONDS now!" And yeah, it does. If you don't strip mine and instead just cave a bit while you search for tin you'll likely find diamonds as well(even more so if you have only IC2 tin enabled which is deeper in the earth then other mods). Plus diamonds aren't all that rare or expensive.(IRL the only reason diamonds cost as much as they do is because various diamond companies jacked the price and and if you sell below their set value they will send assassins after you)
Now if the macerator required steel I'd be a bit upset because it's harder to get steel in GT then just railcraft or UE. Still possible, just harder. But diamonds? I can find those in any biome, and in any worldgen from vanilla that has chests. There are even diamonds in chests from TC3(barrows).

I mean, it seemed really odd to me that the macerator required flint but you never needed to replace that flint. Flint isn't very sharp, nor tough, so I always thought that was kind of dumb.

Tl;Dr Greg makes people work for their endgame paradise and not everyone is happy with that. I find some GregTech bits annoying as all hell(read: FUCKING SLOW MACHINES NOT PRODUCING MY SHIT FAST ENOUGH), but enjoy most of the mod without a hitch.

That being said, I have to find out how to set up one of the newer fusion reactors in GT(1.5.1 ones produce plasma cells which I then put in a plasma reactor, which seems OK but I know the layout for the coils changed), and after I do that, I'm going to make a spaceship and go to the moon.

Reactions: Velotican

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad it's around because even with it on Hard Mode I've been able to find novel ways to circumvent and trivialise its behaviour and nerfs. Perhaps I'm just especially skilled but I'd rather not make that assumption. :)

I challenge you to an Olympic level Loophole contest!

Reactions: Poppycocks

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure it'd be a fair fight because I cheated in a fusion reactor when I was building the server map. In hindsight that was a mistake. XD

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
You mean the reasons not to like GregTech? Mostly because it slows down the game.

The real issue people have with GregTech is that it delays damn near everything "endgame" and even some things people don't consider "endgame" even if they really are.
For example, BC quarries. That's a endgame item actually, as it gathers way more resources then the user can, and does so much faster(well, can anyway, assuming it gets enough power). Yes, it doesn't mine specific blocks. That's in some ways better as it will provide the player with large amounts of building supplies or scrap fodder.
Quantum Armor is obviously end game. That's kind of the point of it. And the only real block between people and their Q-Suits was a mass fab. Considering how powerful the Q-Suit is, I always thought that it was too easy to get.(set up a good nuclear reactor and make sure you have tons of scrap and you'll be swimming in UUM in no time) Now you need to mine several blocks of iridium to be able to make a matter fabricator, and there is 1 block of iridium every five chunks. Roughly.
So this has lead to players just using the quarry and strip mining massive swaths of land to get enough iridium to get their Q-Suits, which bugs my "don't despoil the land needlessly" mindset in Minecraft. Well, I have been known to set forest on fire with a wrath igniter so I can find my way out of them. But I ignite the leaves when I do this, mostly because the leaves are better connected.

Some people might be saying "But the Macerator requires DIAMONDS now!" And yeah, it does. If you don't strip mine and instead just cave a bit while you search for tin you'll likely find diamonds as well(even more so if you have only IC2 tin enabled which is deeper in the earth then other mods). Plus diamonds aren't all that rare or expensive.(IRL the only reason diamonds cost as much as they do is because various diamond companies jacked the price and and if you sell below their set value they will send assassins after you)
Now if the macerator required steel I'd be a bit upset because it's harder to get steel in GT then just railcraft or UE. Still possible, just harder. But diamonds? I can find those in any biome, and in any worldgen from vanilla that has chests. There are even diamonds in chests from TC3(barrows).

I mean, it seemed really odd to me that the macerator required flint but you never needed to replace that flint. Flint isn't very sharp, nor tough, so I always thought that was kind of dumb.

Tl;Dr Greg makes people work for their endgame paradise and not everyone is happy with that. I find some GregTech bits annoying as all hell(read: FUCKING SLOW MACHINES NOT PRODUCING MY SHIT FAST ENOUGH), but enjoy most of the mod without a hitch.

That being said, I have to find out how to set up one of the newer fusion reactors in GT(1.5.1 ones produce plasma cells which I then put in a plasma reactor, which seems OK but I know the layout for the coils changed), and after I do that, I'm going to make a spaceship and go to the moon.

I want to talk more about it, But typing is starting to hurt,

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I love gregtech it adds that sense of Elite mode to a game where everything is fairly easy to come by and make. For example look at the implosion compressor it takes quite a bit of mats to make let alone even use. You take the diamond dust from the bees and you have to use I think 16 ITNT for 2-3 diamonds... Well that just means you have to figure out a way to make a LOT of ITNT if you want to use the implosion compressor so you have to make a machine to make it for you which adds even more fun to the game.
The constant stream of EU with the machines also makes it so that you have to really beef up your setup to make sure your not screwing yourself every time you want to use it.

All of this makes FTB A LOT more fun for me it makes it so that unless you have a ton of mats stored up your Not just going to be walking around and decide your going to make a implosion compressor and use it right then and there.

Reactions: SeniLiX