[Poll] Do you use Gregtech?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Do you use gregtech?

• Total voters

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Use copper cable on 32eu/t machines and the eu spike from blowing one up wont do anything but pop that cable. Not everything needs glass fiber (which can't even reasonably transmit power)
Since when am I playing a game that runs on reason and logic from real life?

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Use copper cable on 32eu/t machines and the eu spike from blowing one up wont do anything but pop that cable. Not everything needs glass fiber (which can't even reasonably transmit power)

That's actually a really good tip.

Good shit.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Wait. I seem to vaguely remember someone bringing this up. It was decided that the packet would travel through a cable and then blow it up. So the fizzling cable is always one step before the EU packet, so it gets to the machines anyway.

Chances are, I'm completely wrong. If I'm right in saying that I'm completely wrong, please someone say so.

Reactions: Ako_the_Builder

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
No, the packet would travel to the first cable, next tick it goes to the second cable and blows the first cable up, next tick it goes to the third cable (well, machine in this case) and blows the second cable up.

If this "theory" does hold.

EDIT: Ignore this, this was unnecessary thanks to Mash's cleverness.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
No, the packet would travel to the first cable, next tick it goes to the second cable and blows the first cable up, next tick it goes to the third cable (well, machine in this case) and blows the second cable up.

If this "theory" does hold.

That's actually why I deleted the post. I realized that the second after I posted it.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's a big stretch to do so. Time spent isn't a very good measure of difficulty imo.
I think difficulty isn't a good measure of how good a mod is, rather how much of your time using it is fun vs. not fun. Some difficulty can help it be fun, and some doesn't, and it depends on the individual too.

Reactions: Hoff

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I think difficulty isn't a good measure of how good a mod is, rather how much of your time using it is fun vs. not fun. Some difficulty can help it be fun, and some doesn't, and it depends on the individual too.
Yes%2Bsir%2BD%2Bthis%2Bgif%2Bwas%2Bgolden%2B_483d2e3ead21878f296690ac04d468c4.jpg

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast

I was curious about this so I did some testing in SSP creative mode so I could switch between creative and survival. The mod pack was mindcrack (greg hard mode on). I connected a string of basic solar panels to a bat box then tested both fiber cable and copper cable to an electric crafting table. The results were the same. Breaking a powered electric crafting with a drill (switched to survival mode to do the final tests) causes the machine to blow and create a crater.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
The results were the same. Breaking a powered electric crafting with a drill (switched to survival mode to do the final tests) causes the machine to blow and create a crater.

Yes. The GregTech machine you hit with a pickaxe will always explode. It also sends a pulse through the wire that will damage machines it reaches.

That pulse starts as a 32EU packet, then 128EU, then 512EU and finally 2048EU. If the cabling between the machine you hit with the pickaxe is vaporized by the 128EU packet, the 512EU never reaches it.

Nobody, especially me, said you can create a design where the machine you hit with a pickaxe isn't destroyed. The solution is to not hit machines with pickaxes.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I have GregTech on 1.5.1 now and to this day I haven't done much changing of the default configs. I thus play on hard mode(afaik).
Personally my only gripe is that GregTech doesn't automatically disable use of one material in a 3x3 square and add a recipe for that in the compressor, so I on occasion find items which I can make ore blocks out of without GregTech, which is kind of jarring because my first instinct now is to place ores in a compressor when I want a ore block.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Yes. The GregTech machine you hit with a pickaxe will always explode. It also sends a pulse through the wire that will damage machines it reaches.

That pulse starts as a 32EU packet, then 128EU, then 512EU and finally 2048EU. If the cabling between the machine you hit with the pickaxe is vaporized by the 128EU packet, the 512EU never reaches it.

Nobody, especially me, said you can create a design where the machine you hit with a pickaxe isn't destroyed. The solution is to not hit machines with pickaxes.

Yeah.. But there in lies the problem. A few revision ago of GT it used to just destroy the item (revert to a machine block). Why does it need to blow up other than good old Greg wants it to. I actually understand and have no problem with losing the item if I hit it with the wrong tool. I am also OK with it blowing up if I hook up 128 eu/t to a 32 eu/t machine. But I can not and will not agree that it needs to blow up when I hit it with the wrong tool. I actually argued to have GT back in December when the mindcrack pack 1st came out. At this point I am considering pulling it from the server by switching the server over to DW20. We already have mystcaft added manually. The only big changes are the removal of GT and addition of AE.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I use it on hard mode for the sole reason that I tend to play on hard mode servers with like minded ppl, gt dont really matter to me that much, the whole debate is over rated & keeps the mod in question hyped...

but that said there are a couple of ppl in the mod scene that like to be bigger than the game, to me thats a little sad.

Reactions: Henry Link

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah.. But there in lies the problem. A few revision ago of GT it used to just destroy the item (revert to a machine block). Why does it need to blow up other than good old Greg wants it to.

Why do you "need" to play minecraft at all?

Need is an irrelevant designation and pointless question

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
I just read in the gregtech-thread (IC2-forum), that there'll be a new machine. a steam generator. greg posted a picture. (or it's just the standard generator, now able to consume steam through a liquiduct... giving the generator some meaning).

and he changed a vanilla item. actually, he changed the recipe in a way, that it really matches the items name.

he is right, the items name isn't flint and iron...

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I always thought the item flint and steel was interesting. It was actually the reason I called all of my iron items steel, even though I knew they were made from iron.

That thing better have better durability if it's made from steel, though.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
he plans single use lighters (something like matches or so), so a journey to the nether is still possible...

or use another vanilla mechanic like lava, which ignites wood...

EDIT: it's not a new machine, but the steam converter upgrade. means: hook up everything on steam instead of IC2 energy. 2 steam = 1 EU.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I've always wondered why I can't just use one of the infinite-use lighters that I have scattered all over the walls and floors of my ba...

Actually, no. I don't want to ask about that. I like my infinite torches.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
So, Greg decided to kill Steam Turbines entirely. OK.

> Flint'n'steel
Ha said, that there are will be some one-use igniters. Honestly, I normally use f&s only once - to light the Nether Portal