Poll: Do you like GregTech?

Do you like GregTech

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xaositech

Jul 29, 2019
There's nothing wrong with changing vanilla.

That's the spirit, bro! (Y)
Of course, we do the same:
Thinking up a story, and a world, examine, then choose mods, configuring them to archieve balance.
It's the configurer's work - a boring, and elating game.
If you are lucky, and have some stable gaming friends, you try to bend your original idea about the world towards their likings, because in a part they are your likings. :)
Am I right, or yes? M'kay, then...

If you can't bend a likely mod around to work together with the new beautiful private pack / unusually disgusting pile of mods the configer put together, "oh I must have dropped it, and it broke" you seek another for it's place.
Yes, you can follow my reasoning well!

The conflict arises from having seen some earlier builds of your gaming friends, and absolutely knowing they love that mod you wanna put out of it's misery.
When you, the configer even feel some respect toward the mod as something hard and manly to manage in play, but at the same time having seemingly malleable config option files as almost a perfect example how the EQ/IQ balance must exists in the universe.

And then this.
No documentation. (1.5.2)
Confusing names. (flint'n'steel as namefix?)
Directly tries to be incompatible with other mods. (2 types of the same glowstone dust?)
You even can't talk about it. (leper syndrome)

I am afraid, angry and hopeful at the same time.
Please, do you know why is it this way, and how to solve it?
Or all is hopeless, and I must ask you to tell me some other mod of this caliber, but less greedyness?

Thank you.
The electronic Buddha be with you:
OHM

Since when did I worry about who's change overrides whos?

If 2 modders want to do different things to the same vanilla item/mechanics, than those mods are conceptually incompatible. So what? End of discussion.
Its better to have stronger designs that might not work together than weaker designs that dance around each other to appease the minority who want both.​

Ohm I dog! :)

So Gregtech vs Tinkers + Minefactory + Applied + MagicCorps + Mekanism - these are the incompatible mods right now from repeating items, and disappearing recipes. Minority. Indeed.

Please, believe me, I create evil servers. I've made a Call of Cthulhu server out of Hexxit. Madness and monsters in the dark. I made them suffer. With mods designed for that.
But please, the exact environment and story is my work too - help me, don't restrict my ideas! :(

Right now there are no high-tech mods with this magnitude (Greg creates space from the End dimension (Y) ), till someone gets to mod Cyberpunk or Shadowrun RPGs (like in the case of Ars Magica). :p

Lastly just think about the "WOW GREGTECH" attitude in the beginnings, and how it changed into the situation right now.
Well.

Ps: help me

Thank you! I liked the signature. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
There's nothing wrong with changing vanilla.
That's the spirit, bro! (Y)
[snip]

There is a difference between adding to Vanilla and changing Vanilla. An extreme large majority of mods add to vanilla by adding tech, magic, mobs, biomes, etc. The newer GregTech versions(1.5 minecraft and beyond) change the way Vanilla is played. There aren't many mods that force you do actually do something with the mod, which allows for someone to just play through vanilla in a modded environment and get into the mods later. GregTech kind of just pops in and says "Anvil? Play with me first" and "Iron tools and armor? Play with me first" which is really obnoxious.

Reactions: Pyure and PierceSG

xaositech

Jul 29, 2019
There is a difference between adding to Vanilla and changing Vanilla.

Good morning'n'coffee!

You clearly defined the difference, thumbs up!
I can switch off those vanilla changes in config.
I can't the changes in non-ic2 mods - that's why I seek documentation or help.
In the meantime some of my opinions slipped in - I may apologize for that if you all would like that. :)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Theres still nothing wrong with changing vanilla.
Yes it can be a little obnoxious if its a mod you're not intending to play. But if you're not intending to use said mod then why have it installed in the first place?​
And a couple of changed recipes can be avoided, or changed back via configs/minetweaker ect (talk to your server admin/pack dev).
To be honest- how is a few changed recipes any different from mods adding additional monsters?
Even if you decide not to play it- if you have say Thaumcraft or Ars Magica installed you're forever fighting hordes of enhanced zombies/hecates/wisps ect and dealing with flux events/hungry nodes.
You have to remember, we (the FTBers- do we have a collective noun?) are not the primary audience for a mod dev.
Whether we're the 'biggest audience' or not doesn't matter- the primary audience is normally those who download install the mod (the ones who actually want to play that mod)​
Because at the end of the day- why would you [re]design a mod for people who don't play/appreciate your work?

Reactions: zorn and DrowElf

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
A little obnoxious? That, my friend, is a matter of opinion; its the point where I honestly stopped enjoying GT, extensive configuration or not. It stopped being fun when I had to use Greg's machines (or any other sawmill-type machine, for that matter) to get the normal output for turning logs into planks. Let's also not forget the "unification" bullcrap his mod likes to pull, which again, is on by default, and can be really bloody irritating because it not only unifies ores, dusts, and ingots, but tools, too. It irked me to no end that, when I went to make a Mekanism steel paxel, all the steel tools I made, out of Mekanism steel, were Railcraft tools...even when the output of the recipe explicitly said (thanks to WAILA) the output was supposed to be the Mekanism tool. Oh, and at the time, Mekanism would only allow paxels to be made out of vanilla or Mekanism tools...dunno if that's changed or not, since that little bit of irritation switched me forever over to making osmium, and later obsidian, tools.

I do not like GregTech, not anymore. I won't say that I hate it, but it annoys the hell outta me because every time I try to play with it, or heaven forbid update it, I have to go thru and configure the bastard extensively so its not sticking its dick where its not wanted. Most people play with the defaults, and default GregTech is, for me, an unrewarding, boring grindfest that adds little of interest to a mod that's already dying, if not outright dead, for me. I should not be forced to wait 10 minutes for the Gregamabob-circuitsmashertableplatecuttermachinelookatalltheprettylettershimom to make a single effing electronic circuit. Its annoying, its slow, and it bores the hell outta me. That's before you get into how much the author himself bothers me, but I'll not engage in ad hominems. Such things are uncouth...and likely against the rules.

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
Where I see people have the most difficulty or issues with Gregtech is when they are trying to make a modpack by throwing every mod they can get their hands on into one basket and expecting play to not change. Some mods are designed for that. Many are not. Gregtech is one of those that is not. Its like throwing Lemon Heads in your bowl of candies and being shocked when you get something sour. They are lemon heads, of course they are sour. Gregtech is designed to change the way the game is played, so not sure why one would be surprised when it does just that. Obviously it isn't designed for everyone, or every mod pack. Which is perfectly fine IMO. Not all mods are.

Regarding changes to vanilla that force you into their mods to do stuff, lots of mods to that. Railcraft has always been one of my favorites, if not THE favorite mod of mine. And it is a complete overhaul of vanilla that requires a rolling machine, with power, and coke oven, just to make rails (opps, it changes the name of rails to tracks. My bad.)

Reactions: xbony2

nobutty

Jul 29, 2019
I personally really like it because i find that most of the other mods out there are unbalanced and to easy. I feel like i need a challenge in minecraft

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
I personally really like it because i find that most of the other mods out there are unbalanced and to easy. I feel like i need a challenge in minecraft

Thing is, even as a full GT supporter. Making you use more resources for items is not difficult. You just make certain periods last longer.
I mean what Better than wolves do and the likes. (Iguanatweaks, hungeroverhaul. Tcon tweaks.) And so on are REAL difficulty. Because it is actually easier to die, starve,get manipulated by darkness and so on.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Though part of the difficulty curve in BTW is the amount of iron ore needed for tools/armour (9x the amount)- probably the most expensive recipes for vanilla picks in modded MC.
A higher resource cost can improve difficulty/gameplay before becoming too OTT.
By same example- in BTW the lowest grade of hoe you can make is iron; needing 18 ore.
Given that a stone pick is only good for 6 hits and 3 of those are needed for the next pick- the question is- hoe now, and get some renewable food (namely pumpkin seeds+chickens for eggs), or hold out a little more for that iron pick? (which makes collecting iron a lot easier)​

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Thing is, even as a full GT supporter. Making you use more resources for items is not difficult. You just make certain periods last longer.
I mean what Better than wolves do and the likes. (Iguanatweaks, hungeroverhaul. Tcon tweaks.) And so on are REAL difficulty. Because it is actually easier to die, starve,get manipulated by darkness and so on.
When was the last time you played gregtech? Things are becoming hardcore: adventure mode is replacing survival, basic tools are weaker, enchantment table is being thrown out the window, stone is much harder, etc (this is all assuming things are right in the config). It's turning into a tech-version of better then wolves.

Reactions: abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
When was the last time you played gregtech? Things are becoming hardcore: adventure mode is replacing survival, basic tools are weaker, enchantment table is being thrown out the window, stone is much harder, etc (this is all assuming things are right in the config). It's turning into a tech-version of better then wolves.

Well, newest version GT Today 5 Pm. On my own custom modpack.
I have all those stuff on. Yes, basic tools? You only use those for such a short time you don't notice it.
Adventure mode is well, Not supported by certain mods so yeah.
Wait is the enchanting gone? Tell me about that.
Harderstone. I know makes you more caving instead of using the standart stairway to bedrock. (Which is nice but yeah.)
But it still has a FAAAAAAAAAAR way to becoming the Tech version of Btw.

(Also, i am a great GT fan myself. I have full respect for modders like FlowerChild, GregoriousT, Reika and so on, so trust me. When i talk about GT and like. I have played them either yesterday, or today)

Reactions: abculatter_2

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
I have all those stuff on. Yes, basic tools? You only use those for such a short time you don't notice it.
Harderstone. I know makes you more caving instead of using the standart stairway to bedrock. (Which is nice but yeah.)

(Also, i am a great GT fan myself. I have full respect for modders like FlowerChild, GregoriousT, Reika and so on, so trust me. When i talk about GT and like. I have played them either yesterday, or today)

Enchanting is gone if you enable it in the config. Still, gregtech has grown from a joke mod that added a lightning rod to a mod that's close to a total conversion in only a few versions, I have no idea if GregeroiusT even has a real job.

Reactions: Pyure

Jul 29, 2019

(J
Enchanting is gone if you enable it in the config. Still, gregtech has grown from a joke mod that added a lightning rod to a mod that's close to a total conversion in only a few versions, I have no idea if GregeroiusT even has a real job.

Bet he does.
Enchanting will be a good thing if levels werent piss easy to get.
And if the Enchanting table required some effort to get. (Going to point at BTW again where it is only dungeon loot)

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
I liked it in 1.4.7, hated it in 1.5.2, like no tomorrow, because of all the messy and shitty stuff you need to do. Now in 1.6.4 I've configured it so it changes some mod items, which im fine with, but hell-a-no I wont play with harderstone and no enchants, because I like to make my bases usually underground, so there is no way the harderstone is being kept there. ALso why the heck I will want to get 2 less wood per log, doesnt make much sense to nerf that, just makes it more messy, because after 2 hours of gameplay you will probably have a automated Wood farm anyways, so Wood doesnt really matter, it just makes your early game more shit ...

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I liked it in 1.4.7, hated it in 1.5.2, like no tomorrow, because of all the messy and shitty stuff you need to do. Now in 1.6.4 I've configured it so it changes some mod items, which im fine with, but hell-a-no I wont play with harderstone and no enchants, because I like to make my bases usually underground, so there is no way the harderstone is being kept there. ALso why the heck I will want to get 2 less wood per log, doesnt make much sense to nerf that, just makes it more messy, because after 2 hours of gameplay you will probably have a automated Wood farm anyways, so Wood doesnt really matter, it just makes your early game more shit ...
Thankfully the enchantment table is NOT disabled by default. The rest of that, yeah, it's a bit of a pain at times.
The wood nerf was so a tool which increased plank/stick output would be more useful. Still a pain, sure, but I'm fine with the configs.

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
Thankfully the enchantment table is NOT disabled by default. The rest of that, yeah, it's a bit of a pain at times.
The wood nerf was so a tool which increased plank/stick output would be more useful. Still a pain, sure, but I'm fine with the configs.

I mean if he's gonna do things like thatt, better make a standalone mod or just make it so it doenst interfier with other mods, hes trying to do stuff similar to TerraFirmaCraft and do "reality" in minecrfat, but if hes gonna do that, as I said better to make it liek TFC, I will love to give it a try, but messing with vanilla like that and expecting to be included in packs is just nonsense.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I mean if he's gonna do things like thatt, better make a standalone mod or just make it so it doenst interfier with other mods, hes trying to do stuff similar to TerraFirmaCraft and do "reality" in minecrfat, but if hes gonna do that, as I said better to make it liek TFC, I will love to give it a try, but messing with vanilla like that and expecting to be included in packs is just nonsense.
It's in the configs because people who are more hardcore then greg wanted it there. Greg likes having the enchanting table.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012

Judging by the opening post on the official Gtech thread (IC2 forums)- it seems Greg never asks for his work to be included in packs; rather he gave open permission to FTB to include his work as he got fed up of people asking.
(suggesting that people want Gtech in their modpacks)​

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Wait
SOMEONE LIKES MY SIGGY?!

mean+girls+hand+raise.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.