Poll: Do you like GregTech?

Do you like GregTech

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
That is a VERY subjective point of view. First of all, people who like GregTech often seem like people who prefer the destination, and being able to brag that they "beat the game" with GregTech installed. And I, personally, love the journey far more than the endgame. But I never ever play with GregTech because it makes the journey LESS fun and more tedious for me. Not for everyone. Just me. This is not an objective statement. It's completely subjective because it's my personal opinion and thus is not applicable to anyone but me.

In other words, it's really impossible to classify the people who like or dislike GregTech based on such broad stereotypes. Even people who love challenge tend to prefer different types of challenges. Some want the mobs to be unforgiving. Some want starvation to be a serious and frequent issue. Some want to progress through the tech tree slower. Some want to set a personal challenge and see if they can meet it on their terms, while others want the game itself to challenge them on its own terms. That's why the Minecraft modding community exists at all, and that's also why there isn't a single "best" modpack, despite what some people seem to believe.

The above is interchangeable, representing the end values on a sliding scale. Both ends are independent whether GT is installed or not, though the default config better represents the latter.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
The rest of your post is fairly subjective as well. As is this thread in general. Everything from the definition of "grind" to whether it's worth waiting for something if it's not worth waiting for something else to the extent to which a mod should change vanilla Minecraft mechanics is all subjective. That's the point I was trying to make.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
The rest of your post is fairly subjective as well. As is this thread in general. Everything from the definition of "grind" to whether it's worth waiting for something if it's not worth waiting for something else to the extent to which a mod should change vanilla Minecraft mechanics is all subjective. That's the point I was trying to make.

Because you can't really talk about this objective. It's just a personal preference wheter you like the material intensive, loooong process, or not.

xaositech

Jul 29, 2019
My greatest problem is that it's very hard to set up a server, which is good for both kind of players who like Gregtech or not.
It would be wonderful if this IC2 expansion consider only modifying it's parent mod: IC2.

Right now, we cannot craft some Mekanism Circuits (original recipe disappeared, but we could use IC2 circuits instead), and nether quartz dust of Applied Energistics works in recipes only if you sent it thru an IC2 Macerator or Mekanism Crusher.

I would like to see happy players - one tinkering carefully with gregged ic2, the other doesn't even need to go near it to use different mods.

I went thru GregTech config files like crazy, and seeking some documentation for it (1.5.2 wiki only), discovered that the altered recipe for flint and steel requires "NameFix=false" option.
First I was so happy to see the complicated config files, I thought: "Okay I can set up everything whith this." No. :(

Please if you can, set me into the right direction to find the config options for the problems above!

Thank you.

Unusable pages:
http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/in...dit_for_V2.02c.29_.28its_highly_deprecated.29
http://gregtechcommunitywiki.wikispaces.com/Config Guide

xaositech

Jul 29, 2019
Necro aside *cough

Greg mentioned unifying the mek/EU plates ("what is even a buff"). If circuits shared similar components...
You could give minetweaker a shot for the missing recipes/dust.​
Also control-f is brilliantly useful for navigating that config.

Okay, I am a necromancer then. ;) But thank you for minetweaker!
I seeked ctrl+F for circuits, but no success - all the options were unusable, I tried to set them in SP. (Y)
That's why I thought about unification, but that wasn't working.
Right now, we can't craft some things in these mods without IC2/Gregtech intervention:
-Applied Energistics
-Minefactory Reloaded
-Mekanism

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 is such a small mod, or used to be, that it really needed a large mod like GregTech to supplement it. Lately, with IC2 expanding and changing so much, with a lot of GregTech influence, that it almost seems like GregTech is about to become IC2 standard. I liked GregTech a lot more in 1.4.7 where it was a lot less intrusive. Changing some of the basics of IC2 is ok, but changing the basics of the vanilla game is a bit too far. If i wanted something that wasn't Vanilla+Mods, then odds are i'd play a different game all together. IC2 needs an add-on like gregtech. Forestry, Buildcraft, Thaumcraft, Tinkers' Construct, and IC2 all have really good add-ons, but none of them completely rewrite the way you have to play the mod let alone the Vanilla game.

I played the Unhinged modpack and was quite entertained by it, mean while calling Greg an asshole and laughing half the time, but entertained none the less. I didn't stop playing it until i hit the wait for Iridium stage of Gregtech. Shortly after, 1.6 packs started rolling out on various launchers.

Reactions: xaositech and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think modders have since learned from GT. The entire tech route could have been reworked in such a way that it was still just as difficult without tweaking existing recipes. Instead of messing with a steel recipe, you create a stainless steel recipe that is specific to your machines, hard to acquire without tiering, and doesn't have any impact outside of your own mod.

A mod shouldn't really worry about what other mods will do; create your own recipes and allow users/modpack makers adjust the balance via configs.[DOUBLEPOST=1394825920][/DOUBLEPOST]
There's nothing wrong with changing vanilla.
Not at all, except for where in the flowchart the change happens. If those who "feed" the system (e.g. modders) make changes, you're always worrying about whose change overrides whose.

And even that's not a really big deal (in fact, its the norm in almost all modding), but in a magical, ideal, perfect world, you keep it configurable and dynamic.

Reactions: zorn

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Since when did I worry about who's change overrides whos?

If 2 modders want to do different things to the same vanilla item/mechanics, than those mods are conceptually incompatible. So what? End of discussion.
Its better to have stronger designs that might not work together than weaker designs that dance around each other to appease the minority who want both.​

Reactions: nobutty

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Since when did I worry about who's change overrides whos?
Worry less, I'm mostly on your side here; allow me to play some devil's advocate for a moment :) EDIT: In case this is an English issue or misunderstanding, I mean "One is always worrying", not "CelestialPhoenix specifically is always worrying". Nothing but love and friendship intended.
If 2 modders want to do different things to the same vanilla item/mechanics, than those mods are conceptually incompatible. So what? End of discussion.
Its a systemic concern I'm raising here. If two modders have different recipes for wood->sticks, the mods aren't incompatible; it just raises a conflict. Its not totally dissimilar from a blockID conflict: a clarification just needs to be made.

What I'm noting with pleasure is that this clarification is being left to the user rather than the mod makers themselves.
Its better to have stronger designs that might not work together than weaker designs that dance around each other to appease the minority who want both.
Exactly! But the stronger design is frequently a lot more work. Another trend I'm noticing is that instead of designing "I have a stronger bronze recipe", we're getting, "I'll create bronze left-handed widgets, which is a pain in my butt but eminently more flexible."

PS: Happy Friday :)

Reactions: xaositech

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
uploadfromtaptalk1394826924811.jpg

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I think Gregtech is one of the best mods out there, Really slows the progression of things and add a challenge to those who find FTB to be fairly easy.

Reactions: zorn and nobutty

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
My greatest problem is that it's very hard to set up a server, which is good for both kind of players who like Gregtech or not.
It would be wonderful if this IC2 expansion consider only modifying it's parent mod: IC2.

Right now, we cannot craft some Mekanism Circuits (original recipe disappeared, but we could use IC2 circuits instead), and nether quartz dust of Applied Energistics works in recipes only if you sent it thru an IC2 Macerator or Mekanism Crusher.

I would like to see happy players - one tinkering carefully with gregged ic2, the other doesn't even need to go near it to use different mods.

I went thru GregTech config files like crazy, and seeking some documentation for it (1.5.2 wiki only), discovered that the altered recipe for flint and steel requires "NameFix=false" option.
First I was so happy to see the complicated config files, I thought: "Okay I can set up everything whith this." No. :(

Please if you can, set me into the right direction to find the config options for the problems above!

Thank you.

Unusable pages:
http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/in...dit_for_V2.02c.29_.28its_highly_deprecated.29
http://gregtechcommunitywiki.wikispaces.com/Config Guide
image.jpg

Kropter

Jul 29, 2019
I really liked Unhinged as a pack. Recipe changes ? Why not ? Makes it interesting, challenging and so on... this crying sometimes....
I dont understand the complaints about ic2 and GT here... they are mods, the mod maker decides what to do, if thats not what the loudest piece of the community wanted has the the mod developer to live with it.

Reactions: zorn and Wekmor

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like this thread is a kid playing with fireworks in a gunpowder factory. Only a matter of time before it blows up.

On topic, Gregtech in 1.4.7 was its golden age. It was fairly well balanced, and really brought the Ultimate pack together, unifiying it really well. Now, it nerfs everything, and with IC2exp, I just don't want to get near it. And I get the feeling that a good number of people agree with me. It is a real shame, as it is a real high quality mod, and I feel that if it weren't for the recent changes and Greg's antics (which no one should discuss, you have been warned), it would a much more popular mod, perhaps as popular as it was in 1.4.7.

Status
Not open for further replies.