Poll: Do you like GregTech?

Do you like GregTech

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I hope not, that bullshit got the Fleshcraft topic closed, and there's potential for actual discussion here.

That was like 10 pages of said bullsh- we have a long way to go yet. (doesn't Fleshcraft have like 3 development threads on the go anyway)

True. Also: ''I hate GT because greg breaks worlds''.

If someone hates Greg for breaking a few worlds, then s/he must really love Dinnerbone who broke EVERY mod and EVERY world.

Reactions: Padfoote

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
I like the mod but I don't like the author at all, so I don't use it. Which also gave me the excuse to get rid of IC2 and start using rotary craft, so yay..

xaositech

Jul 29, 2019
So get back to my question, please? :D
I used downgrading to gregtechmod_4.05b.zip, it doesn't messes up the recipes from other mods anymore, and I could config it to make harder only itself.
Is there an option, which can be set, so the new versions "unification" (which I set off by the way, inventory and crafting too)won't mess up other items? Two types of glowtone dust, sugar cane, etc?

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, i forgot the ''I like the mod but i don't like greg for a reason i never say'' :3

I don't like Greg. Period.

And it's against the rules to talk about why I don't like Greg. If you don't understand that then that's your problem, but a lot of people surely understands why. And let's not get deep into this conversation or else a Moderator will delete this thread just because I have the need to fill the empty space in your knowledge about GT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PierceSG

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
I am gonna look so stupid saying this... I don't get it.

The guys who say 'I like the mod but i don't like greg' who normally cite 'attitude' (or similar) are effectively judging a book by its cover.
-An action in itself that reeks of 'attitude', the very same reason for why they 'hate' Greg.

--Edit--
So get back to my question, please? :D
I used downgrading to gregtechmod_4.05b.zip, it doesn't messes up the recipes from other mods anymore, and I could config it to make harder only itself.
Is there an option, which can be set, so the new versions "unification" (which I set off by the way, inventory and crafting too)won't mess up other items? Two types of glowtone dust, sugar cane, etc?

I think the latest versions allow you to configure which individual items get unified to which mod set. Its still an absolute pig to do, but you have total control of what goes where.
(I think the TPPI pack has all the options set to false- which shouldn't unify anything)

Reactions: xaositech

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Meh. Nothing much more then "I hate gregtech cause it messes with my recipes" and "I love gregtech because it makes things harder".

That doesn't mean there's nothing to discuss. Yes, based on previous topics of this nature it's unlikely that an intelligent debate on the subject could happen, but that doesn't make it impossible. You might notice that we don't lock threads on controversial topics on sight--we only lock them when people decide to start launching personal attacks instead of following the rules and having mature, reasonable discussion. ;)

Oh, i forgot the ''I like the mod but i don't like greg for a reason i never say'' :3
I don't like Greg. Period.

And it's against the rules to talk about why I don't like Greg. If you don't understand that then that's your problem, but a lot of people surely understands why. And let's not get deep into this conversation or else a Moderator will delete this thread just because I have the need to fill the empty space in your knowledge about GT.
The guys who say 'I like the mod but i don't like greg' who normally cite 'attitude' (or similar) are effectively judging a book by its cover.
-An action in itself that reeks of 'attitude', the very same reason for why they 'hate' Greg.

The "I don't like Greg's attitude but I can't talk about it" line refers to a few incidents several months ago that resulted in major changes to certain modpacks and permissions--this was just before I became a moderator. There are good reasons we don't talk about it--primarily because talking about it inevitably ends in a bunch of personal attacks against Greg and the other individuals involved (and in fact, is the reason our current policy on bullying and personal attacks exists).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so long as they express it to the community with respect and without attacking/insulting other members of the community. See the link I just gave.

That said, the subject is indeed off-limits, so a subject change is in order. This is also the thread's official Be Nice warning.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019

Edit

Edit: The moderator up there ^ explained perfectly, so what I said is not necessary anymore.
I'll just leave this here because I feel this could enlighten your mind a little:

"Wrong, its not judging a book by its cover, in which case we would say "I hate Gtech, because I have Greg" and we are no doing that, aren't we?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Mevansuto

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Au contraire, we are judging the mod by its use and the author by its attitude. We are intelligent enough to not mix both aspects.

Not all of us are as proved on multiple occasions.

As simple as that. I would like the Mod to be integrated directly into IC2 and to start being developed by a team of growns up, but thats not going to happen.

This would make IC2e a worthwhile mod.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Politics aside, I think GregTech is fine for what it is, and if people want to play it then so be it. I see it the same as Better than Wolves or TerraFirmaCraft. He has a vision for how he thinks the game's progression should work, and some people just enjoy that style of gameplay. I don't think it should be part of your average modpack, though, because it changes too much. If someone tried watching Dire or any Youtube series on how to play with mods, and they got ahold of a GregTech pack without knowing what it was, then they're going to be completely lost. Everything is harder, everything takes longer, and you end up having to remember yet more recipes for items you thought you already knew how to craft. GregTech packs should be labeled as such, or at least make the mod disabled by default.

I personally just don't think microcrafting is fun. Crafting is used too often as a way to represent increased importance or value of an item, or to justify things which introduce creative-style features. An example is Gravisuite. Don't get me wrong, I think the suit itself is great, but it's a total chore to make. I've only crafted two of those suits in my entire life, and both times part or most of that was automated. You'd have to be dedicated to crafting to do that by hand, and if you've ever done it, then my hat goes off to you. But that's just not for me. And it's why I have a harder time enjoying the new IC2.

Let me put it this way. When I'm working on a tedious or complicated piece of code, or faced with the proposition of doing so, that feeling of procrastination will start to creep in. This same feeling has hit me while playing Minecraft, probably more times than I care to admit. That's not how I should feel when playing a game.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Not all of us are as proved on multiple occasions.

This would make IC2e a worthwhile mod.

Indeed, If it where to happen im pretty sure I would come back to IC2, Gtech is a really neat addition to IC2 and would make a lot of fun if done correctly. (another thing that should be put into IC2 i think is compact solars, as they just are fit to it, they feel like vanilla IC2 and in the dev team maybe it could have a ton more of effort put into it)

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed, If it where to happen im pretty sure I would come back to IC2, Gtech is a really neat addition to IC2 and would make a lot of fun if done correctly. (another thing that should be put into IC2 i think is compact solars, as they just are fit to it, they feel like vanilla IC2 and in the dev team maybe it could have a ton more of effort put into it)

Maybe if they could optimize IC2 like as impressively as TE or XU, then I'd doubt there'd be a need for Compact Solars.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Politics aside, I think GregTech is fine for what it is, and if people want to play it then so be it. I see it the same as Better than Wolves or TerraFirmaCraft. He has a vision for how he thinks the game's progression should work, and some people just enjoy that style of gameplay. I don't think it should be part of your average modpack, though, because it changes too much. If someone tried watching Dire or any Youtube series on how to play with mods, and they got ahold of a GregTech pack without knowing what it was, then they're going to be completely lost. Everything is harder, everything takes longer, and you end up having to remember yet more recipes for items you thought you already knew how to craft. GregTech packs should be labeled as such, or at least make the mod disabled by default.

I personally just don't think microcrafting is fun. Crafting is used too often as a way to represent increased importance or value of an item, or to justify things which introduce creative-style features. An example is Gravisuite. Don't get me wrong, I think the suit itself is great, but it's a total chore to make. I've only crafted two of those suits in my entire life, and both times part or most of that was automated. You'd have to be dedicated to crafting to do that by hand, and if you've ever done it, then my hat goes off to you. But that's just not for me. And it's why I have a harder time enjoying the new IC2.

Let me put it this way. When I'm working on a tedious or complicated piece of code, or faced with the proposition of doing so, that feeling of procrastination will start to creep in. This same feeling has hit me while playing Minecraft, probably more times than I care to admit. That's not how I should feel when playing a game.

Tbh, the microcrafting feels more realistic (at least for me, and I tend to make my game as realistic as possible), but there is a point in which it becomes a nuisance, a good example of microcrafting is the new flux tools, they have a great power, they are cost-efficiency balanced and its microcrafting makes them hard to get but not to the point that you want to take a bullet at the 10th step. I kind of have a sweet point for the use of liquids in thermal expansion, I really like the fact that it uses items as liquids instead of having to distribute 2 layers of redstone dust around some items, you melt them in the correct machine. That's the right way to do it, that way you are microcrafting without even knowing it and the steps are logical. For the gravisuite, I do remember making one of them, half by hand, half in AE crafting thingy, so it didn't bothered me much, problem is it was just some time before Monster came out and I got completely rid off IC2 because I had rotary craft to use. Now I just use thaumcraft armor and instead of drills the flux tools, which both suit me perfectly in the matter of work needed to get their power.

Reactions: Pyure

xaositech

Jul 29, 2019
I think the latest versions allow you to configure which individual items get unified to which mod set. Its still an absolute pig to do, but you have total control of what goes where.
(I think the TPPI pack has all the options set to false- which shouldn't unify anything)

Thank you for answering. (Y)

I could set all things which could be set. I would need an example line, if it can be provided please, to set what - because the 3 greg-wikis are outdated on the config side. :(
If you could paste in the unification config line for glowstone dust, that would be great.

Clarification: I have no problems reversing the hardened recipes in the config, but in the newer version there seems to be some unification/itemid related error, as not greg/ic machines or tools produce the same item id with some plus damage value, essentially creating duplicate items, and breaking recipes this way.

The problematic verison is: gregtechmod_408s.zip
This version have no such problems, I downgraded to: gregtechmod_4.05b.zip

An example is usually conflicting with Mekanism (or Universal Electricity), when a mekanism machine makes an item duplicate as result, and it cannot be used to continue crafting why it was made.
With 4.05b it works all right (along with similar errors in Applied Energistics, Minefactory Reloaded, and Magical Crops), with 4.08s it makes item duplicates, resulting base materials for these mods only able to made by usually gregtech machines.
I don't think it was intended by Greg, if you could report it to him, I would be glad.

Versions of mentioned mods above:
appeng-rv14-finale3-mc16x.jar
magical_crops_1.6.4_3.2.0_BETA_15a.zip
Mekanism-6.0.3.21.jar
MekanismGenerators-6.0.3.21.jar
MekanismTools-6.0.3.21.jar
MineFactoryReloaded-2.7.5-352.jar
Universal-Electricity-3.1.0.71-core.jar[DOUBLEPOST=1395005322][/DOUBLEPOST]
Maybe if they could optimize IC2 like as impressively as TE or XU, then I'd doubt there'd be a need for Compact Solars.
Please what is the full name of XU?

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for answering. (Y)

I could set all things which could be set. I would need an example line, if it can be provided please, to set what - because the 3 greg-wikis are outdated on the config side. :(
If you could paste in the unification config line for glowstone dust, that would be great.

Clarification: I have no problems reversing the hardened recipes in the config, but in the newer version there seems to be some unification/itemid related error, as not greg/ic machines or tools produce the same item id with some plus damage value, essentially creating duplicate items, and breaking recipes this way.

The problematic verison is: gregtechmod_408s.zip
This version have no such problems, I downgraded to: gregtechmod_4.05b.zip

An example is usually conflicting with Mekanism (or Universal Electricity), when a mekanism machine makes an item duplicate as result, and it cannot be used to continue crafting why it was made.
With 4.05b it works all right (along with similar errors in Applied Energistics, Minefactory Reloaded, and Magical Crops), with 4.08s it makes item duplicates, resulting base materials for these mods only able to made by usually gregtech machines.
I don't think it was intended by Greg, if you could report it to him, I would be glad.

Versions of mentioned mods above:
appeng-rv14-finale3-mc16x.jar
magical_crops_1.6.4_3.2.0_BETA_15a.zip
Mekanism-6.0.3.21.jar
MekanismGenerators-6.0.3.21.jar
MekanismTools-6.0.3.21.jar
MineFactoryReloaded-2.7.5-352.jar
Universal-Electricity-3.1.0.71-core.jar[DOUBLEPOST=1395005322][/DOUBLEPOST]

Extra Utilities.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
control-f lands about 20 hits for glowstone in the unification config. I guess its one of those.
If not one of the unifier blocks/lexicon thingys could probably switch it back.
(though if its all in the ore dictionary, then somethings broken as "glowstone" is "glowstone" and "copper" is "copper")​

Extra Utilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.