Poll: Do you like GregTech?

Do you like GregTech

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xaositech

Jul 29, 2019
control-f lands about 20 hits for glowstone in the unification config. I guess its one of those.
If not one of the unifier blocks/lexicon thingys could probably switch it back.
(though if its all in the ore dictionary, then somethings broken as "glowstone" is "glowstone" and "copper" is "copper")​
Extra Utilities?

Thanks, I like that mod, but I never used that shorthand for it.

You really did control-f'ed it for me? Thank you very much,Sir! Please ctrl-c and ctrl-v it for me! :D
Or you can use my favorites: ctrl+Ins and shift+Ins too!

Update:
You mean these lines?
B: dustGlowstone_false=false
B: dustRefinedGlowstone_false=false

All the lines are false. But what is false? Not in a philosophical way, of course.
If everything is false, then why are they unificated? Please.

And what are these items?
B: PlateGlowstone_false=false
Glowstone plate for what?
B: ringRefinedGlowstone_false=false
B: screwRefinedGlowstone_false=false
And there is no updated documentation.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I like that mod, but I never used that shorthand for it.

You really did control-f'ed it for me? Thank you very much,Sir! Please ctrl-c and ctrl-v it for me! :D
Or you can use my favorites: ctrl+Ins and shift+Ins too!

Update:
You mean these lines?
B: dustGlowstone_false=false
B: dustRefinedGlowstone_false=false

All the lines are false. But what is false? Not in a philosophical way, of course.
If everything is false, then why are they unificated? Please.

And what are these items?
B: PlateGlowstone_false=false
Glowstone plate for what?
B: ringRefinedGlowstone_false=false
B: screwRefinedGlowstone_false=false
And there is no updated documentation.

Thank you in advance!
The unification file really only should have one thing that is true per "ore dictionary" item. Refined Glowstone isn't Glowstone(it's an item from Mek used for tools, armor, and maybe some other things). False in that file means it won't change things into that if they match it in the ore dictionary. So while you may have 20 copper ingots, only one should be be true. Note that copper ingot is nothing like copper dust or copper ore. These are all different ore dictionary items.

xaositech

Jul 29, 2019
The unification file really only should have one thing that is true per "ore dictionary" item. Refined Glowstone isn't Glowstone(it's an item from Mek used for tools, armor, and maybe some other things). False in that file means it won't change things into that if they match it in the ore dictionary. So while you may have 20 copper ingots, only one should be be true. Note that copper ingot is nothing like copper dust or copper ore. These are all different ore dictionary items.
I think I see now how Unification.cfg is working, thanks.
What do you think, what is the cause of the item-duplication?
Pairs of the same items, with different damage values?

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
To answer the question of the thread title, I guess I'm in the "Love the stuff it adds..." group. That being said, I haven't played a mod newer than 1.4.7, so my views on it would probably change if I tried the newest version.

I like tech trees. The idea of making a humble machine at first, then upgrading and replacing it with better stuff later, getting more and more in return for every step. IC2 is (used to be?) great at this. Your basic Furnace will be replaced with the Iron Furnace, then an Electric Furnace, and later the Induction Furnace. Every little step is wonderful to see in action, from the increased efficiency of the Iron Furnace, to the Induction Furnace spitting out ingots at a remarkable rate later. As you progress through the tech tree, the demands of each machine increases, but it stops a little too early for my liking. IC2 provides MV and HV, but a constant supply of LV will be more than sufficient to run one of every second-tier machine.

Then Greg comes along, with machines requiring tons more power, resources and room. Even the Industrial Centrifuge demands more EU than most of "Vanilla IC2"'s machines combined. The Industrial Blast Furnace represents an investment of several hundred Iron Ingots. Operating end-game machines require you to amass vast amounts of resources, and streams of power beyond anything IC2 ever called for (with the notable exception of the Mass Fabricator). But my oh my do the investment pay off. Loads more resources to sort and find uses for. It's a proper incentive to build a full-scale chemical plant, with several Centrifuges and Electrolyzers processing various dusts and cells you come across during your adventure.

In short, Greg gave us more end-game toys to shoot for. It's also notable that with GregTech, nothing is useless. You can do stuff with Rotten Flesh, Thaumcraft Shards or even RP2's Tungsten Ore. Even Cobblestone can be used to produce Silicon Cells. You can build a vast factory with GregTech, not for the sake of having a factory, or processing stuff in a Rube Goldberg-esque fashion, but because the mod actually calls for it if you want to automate things. The engineer in me applauds wildly.

Though... I'm not that fond of stretching out the early-game, though. I guess GT for 1.4.7 (i.e. FTB Ultimate) is exactly my cup of tea. Beyond that, as far as I've heard, things turned a little silly.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
love it love it love it love it! I can't imagine playing modded minecraft without GT these days.
Kind of agree, but I've been having a decent time trying to get a ReactorCraft game rolling lately if you're into the tech challenge stuff.

That said, I'm looking forward to electrolyzing and centrifuging stuff again...

Reactions: abculatter_2

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
I wish some of the bigger modders played a bit of gregtech, there's a lot of pretty cool mechanics that would be great for the community to play with, like being able to turn machines different colors, how the start books spawn as dungeon loot (vs. the books you start with when you make a world from other mods like tinker's construct, it's like the mod author saying "fuck other mods, use me first!"), ores turning black when they are placed next to granite, and a whole bunch of other cool ideas.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
1) Agreed on cool mechanics
2) Books: I trash these on sight. Greg do grammar bad.
3) I disable the invisible ores in config. I think its a silly and unnecessary option. If I'm mining and find gold, I find gold, I don't wonder if its there.

My life ambition is to win the lottery and pay someone to steal all of Greg's ideas and redo them as a new mod, maybe as a big TE3 addon or something similarly insane.

Reactions: xaositech

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
My life ambition is to win the lottery and pay someone to steal all of Greg's ideas and redo them as a new mod, maybe as a big TE3 addon or something similarly insane.
Behold: MortTech. The goal of it is a RF based Greg replacement, and while it just started, I have high hopes for it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah, but there's no nerfs, it will never be truly be gregtech-like.
I strongly feel that it can be just as "difficult" (ie tedious to some) without the traditional nerfs.

As an example: you want, say, a sawmill machine to be worthwhile for your players to build. On the one hand, you don't want it to create 8 planks from 1 wood because that's OP. You don't want it to create 5 because why would anyone build that? You certainly don't change the vanilla recipe to 2 planks so that your sawmill provides the original 4 planks because that just causes an epic forum shitstorm of doom.

What you do is you make your wood components require "treated lumber" or some such which is what your sawmill provides either in lieu of, or addition to, planks. If you want difficulty, and your machines require treated lumber, you make your sawmill create X treated lumber for Y logs, where X and Y are configurable.

A decent gregtech replacement could easily achieve this. I don't like saying "nerfless" gregtech because nerf is a lame subjective term. But its certainly a more streamlined version that would function in concert with other mods a bit more harmoniously.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Yeah, but there's no nerfs, it will never be truly be gregtech-like.

Its aiming to be 'Gregtech without the Greg'-I.E. claiming to be just the machines and added content, not the nerfs and vanilla tweaks.
(honestly that development thread looks like its spiraling dangerously close to the who bullying/personal attacks thing)

I strongly feel that it can be just as "difficult" (ie tedious to some) without the traditional nerfs.

As an example: you want, say, a sawmill machine to be worthwhile for your players to build. On the one hand, you don't want it to create 8 planks from 1 wood because that's OP. You don't want it to create 5 because why would anyone build th...

You mean like Forestry's treated wood? What you're suggesting is perfectly fair, and would be a good mod design. However my gut instinct says this will most likely follow the sawmill= 8/15/20 planks route- mostly because this project is being built in full view of a very loud and passionate community who can't agree on anything, and have a general tendency for more power over more gameplay.

I wish some of the bigger modders played a bit of gregtech, there's a lot of pretty cool mechanics that would be great for the community to play with, like being able to turn machines different colors, how the start books spawn as dungeon loot (vs. the books you start with when you make a world from other mods like tinker's construct, it's like the mod author saying "fuck other mods, use me first!"), ores turning black when they are placed next to granite, and a whole bunch of other cool ideas.

Borrowing this. BRB.

ok,ok I'm kidding. Naw- Gregs got a lot of very neat stuff and powerful (if not totally finished yet) mechanics.
However its really not a mainstream mod, [and probably never will be unless theres a radical shift in the community]
- so a nice as it would be with a couple of more well known pseudo celebrities youtubers played Gtech, it'll only drive into more flaming and whining- which would be hassle for Greg and the Gtech players.
Its kinda the same with Better than Wolves- it'll be very neat if Dire did a lets play, but at the same time it'll kill the mod- and probably the BtW community as a whole.
(The Yogscast did a BtW spotlight when the mod was in its infancy; the resulting horde of fans nearly drove FC out of modding- if you pay attention to Dire's spotlights you'll hear him talk about asking the mod author before filming the spotlight.)

(BTW I like having randomised textures for the ore blocks, and ones that dynamically adapt to the background stone- I think camouflaged ores might be a better name. I also don't think this texture option has ever worked properly- or I don't quite know how it works. One of the three)

Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
(BTW I like having randomised textures for the ore blocks, and ones that dynamically adapt to the background stone- I think camouflaged ores might be a better name. I also don't think this texture option has ever worked properly- or I don't quite know how it works. One of the three)
Huh. Maybe it just sucks more for colorblind peeps. Btw, I totally cannot see the difference between diamonds and cadmium in my horizons world. Makes for some frequent letdowns.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Huh. Maybe it just sucks more for colorblind peeps. Btw, I totally cannot see the difference between diamonds and cadmium in my horizons world. Makes for some frequent letdowns.

I just had a quick dive in- I think hidden ores works with one or two of the random textures simply being stone; so a single face of an ore might be "hidden", and the static/noise 'messy' stuff is to do with ore camouflage (the ore's stone background texture changing to match different stone types).

You could open up your cadmium texture in MS paint, and turn one of the ore nodes pink.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I just had a quick dive in- I think hidden ores works with one or two of the random textures simply being stone; so a single face of an ore might be "hidden", and the static/noise 'messy' stuff is to do with ore camouflage (the ore's stone background texture changing to match different stone types).

You could open up your cadmium texture in MS paint, and turn one of the ore nodes pink.
...its really that simple to tweak textures? I'm so gonna do that. Pinkmium ftw.

I really can't see the upshot of hidden ore sides except to piss you off while hunting for something specific.

Reactions: casilleroatr
Status
Not open for further replies.