Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
This speaks VOLUMES of how important open source is. An open source version of Minecraft, with some improvements from the modders, is a project that should immediately be started. I would be happy to help kickstart such a project.

I know that your intentions are in the right place, but I feel it's worth saying that Kickstarter would be a really bad idea. There's a big can of worms there when there's a big pile of money on the table, with various people potentially willing to contribute to a project but wary of who controls the money, who controls the commits, who decides the direction of the project, who gets how much of the money, etc. Hard feelings are probably inevitable. And that's when the forks begin.

Minetest and Terasology are examples of two which made quite a lot of progress without money involved. Probably the only reason they're not bigger/better is because we're all still playing Minecraft, which I doubt will change any time soon unless Microsoft royally screws the pooch.

Reactions: GreenZombie

triblades

Jul 29, 2019
My first post about the takeover.

First: It's their previous owners choice if and to who to sell their company. That said, I think it's very sad to read Notch to say he doesn't do it for the money, but instead of making it open source, then sells it for 2.5 billion. As if he needed the money...
Second: It's sort-of logical for MS to buy it, they 'need' a Indie dev scene flagship for they gaming division. I would hope that they make MC open source. Would be very cool, but also not very likely.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
My first post about the takeover.

First: It's their previous owners choice if and to who to sell their company. That said, I think it's very sad to read Notch to say he doesn't do it for the money, but instead of making it open source, then sells it for 2.5 billion. As if he needed the money...
Second: It's sort-of logical for MS to buy it, they 'need' a Indie dev scene flagship for they gaming division. I would hope that they make MC open source. Would be very cool, but also not very likely.

Well he probably couldn't make it Open Source easily and get permission on that with the rest of the team.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
First, I do firmly believe that Microsoft is going to push Mojang to become a Microsoft shop and Minecraft to be re-written in c#, going to push for Mojang logins to be converted to Live logins, is going to push for end user content (maps, skins, mods) to be distributed exclusively via an XBox marketplace with microtransactions, is going to move server support from "offline /lan" capable to being cloud served (for reasonable fees), is going to remove the option of offline play, is going to prioritize Windows Phone and XBox version development over all other versions, is going to replace the permissive Mojang EULA that allows you tube partnership agreements, paetron donations, ADFly links with their own far more restrictive to content creators EULA.

All very bad things.

That said, I fully intend to keep on playing Minecraft until the changes above actually do break minecraft. For as long as Minecraft remains Java based and its possible to distribute mods outside of a Microsoft approved marketplace, I will continue to be interested in improving my modding skills to the point I have something worthy of public release, and I will continue to download new mods, and new mod packs to try out the creations of others. I will continue to hope that the evil plans of Skeletor do not come about.

triblades

Jul 29, 2019
First, I do firmly believe that Microsoft is going to push Mojang to [...snip...]
Well, Microsoft can do/push some thing people don't like (like the Win8/8.1 start menu) but to redo MC in c#? No, never. They bought it because the need the community, so why would they scare them away?

Mojang logins to live logins, maybe, why not. Does it really matter? All logins converge at one point or another. Mojang did that from MC logins to Mojang logins. Apple does it, Google does it and a lot more companies. So why, in this specific regard, only blame MS for this?

The rest is not even speculation, just blatant hate. (No offline option? Of course all MS published games have absolutely no offline mode... Ow wait...)
Do you have anything to back this up with? Other games which had this done to them?

Reactions: Hambeau and Grolimo

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
after coming back from a week vacation...

x2HxzXX.jpg

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Ever since i had read about it in an addictive site, I've wanted to say:

Minecraft is RUINED FOREVER!!!

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
If there was any time for some consequence-free panic, it's now! Any other time it might offend developers, modders, youtubers, or anyone else we don't want to quit on us, but who cares what microsoft thinks of a panicked community?

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
My opinion is we should really start getting mad and quitting when they actually start doing something(if the even do).

Most of us will. I'm currently on hold until I see what happens. I don't want to be in the middle of a MC addiction when if and when things go wrong. Its been days since it happened. I bet a lot of people along with myself are already over all of this.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
If there was any time for some consequence-free panic, it's now! Any other time it might offend developers, modders, youtubers, or anyone else we don't want to quit on us, but who cares what microsoft thinks of a panicked community?
since when is panic a good thing, and if microsoft is the horrible comapany you guys are saying it is why would they care for your opinion?

Reactions: Wagon153

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
They wont care about our opinion. Remember the majority of the people here think the modded community only makes up 10% of the whole Minecraft population.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
They wont care about our opinion. Remember the majority of the people here think the modded community only makes up 10% of the whole Minecraft population.
I guess thats why the Mods Section on the MineCraft Forums still have the most threads and messages. The modding community isn't small. But when you get right down to it if microsoft is as bad as you guys are making them out to be(which they really aren't THAT bad) then they wouldn't care about the community as a whole, since the community is VERY small compared to the people that actually bought minecraft.

Reactions: Hambeau