Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Le sigh. Once again, we see people ignoring statistics that don't fit their preconceived notions.

There are likely more than a few accounts there that aren't even active, or are spam accounts. However, for the other 90% of registered users, they've at least made a few posts, showing at least some investment in the community. This is, yes, working off of only one data point, there are many other Minecraft-related forums out there, like this one, but using data from the official one is as fair an avenue of statistical approach as any, considering that if you did include the others, you'd have to either map overlapping accounts, or make even more assumptions about the data. No, not all users are hyper-dedicated to the community. Not everyone is as invested in Minecraft as something more than a game as you, me, or others who have spent at least some amount of time interacting with the community at large.
Actually look at my previous posts before deciding on "preconcieved notions". What I was talking about is the fact that most of the people I know do not even use minecraft forums for mods except to download them for which you don't need an account. This means those account numbers would not be the final tally.
How so? I tried to get generalize it down to where it was countable without being to generalized and overall obscure, your opinion dives into obscurity and is not really countable.
You say that but that doesn't mean that you can just ignore other factors, that is one of the easiest ways to get faulty statistics. I may be wrong, I can admit to this but I am saying that it is a possibility that there are more people using mods than the account numbers.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
But if you did pay them they would be sued for copyright infringement.
No they wouldn't. Just change the name, but keep a similar format. Change Creeprs to Creeps, and Endermen to Endman. Stuff like Zombies, Chickens and such would stay the same. You can copyright minecraft but people can still make a game similar, if not near identical yet different. Then they can freely use their mods as they will.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
No they wouldn't. Just change the name, but keep a similar format. Change Creeprs to Creeps, and Endermen to Endman. Stuff like Zombies, Chickens and such would stay the same. You can copy right minecraft, but can still make a game similar, if not near identical yet different. Then they can freely use their mods as they will.
They could still sue them for that, I think you are underestimating the Microsoft legal department.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
Actually look at my previous posts before deciding on "preconcieved notions". What I was talking about is the fact that most of the people I know do not even use minecraft forums for mods except to download them for which you don't need an account. This means those account numbers would not be the final tally.

You say that but that doesn't mean that you can just ignore other factors, that is one of the easiest ways to get faulty statistics. I may be wrong, I can admit to this but I am saying that it is a possibility that there are more people using mods than the account numbers.
using mods doesn't really mean you are part of the modding community. A community helps eachother and engage in conversations, this thread is a good example of a community communicating. One of the key components of a community is communication or at least trying to communicate. So in order to be apart of a community you have to participate or at least try to in some way.

Reactions: pc_assassin

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
using mods doesn't really mean you are part of the modding community. A community helps eachother and engage in conversations, this thread is a good example of a community communicating. One of the key components of a community is communication or at least trying to communicate. So in order to be apart of a community you have to participate or at least try to in some way.
That is purely subjective, my definition of being part of any gaming community is just to own a copy of the game.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Thats like saying everyone watching The Simpsons is apart of The Simpsons fan club just because they have watched the show.
Again, that is completely subjective. They may be part of the fan club, these are SOCIAL terms which means they are open to interpretation.

EDIT: Also, how did I get into a situation where I was arguing against two people at once? :(

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
Again, that is completely subjective. They may be part of the fan club, these are SOCIAL terms which means they are open to interpretation.
A community is also subjective.
"a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals."
this is googles definition of a comunity. With that logic we are both wrong because people could have played mods but not liked them.
This conversation isn't even about microsoft or mojang anymore so lets move on.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019

EDIT: Also, how did I get into a situation where I was arguing against two people at once? :(
I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to argue, I want just trying to remind people if (and I stress the word if) things go wrong we will just make a new sandbox to mod.

Reactions: SolManX

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
A community is also subjective.
"a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals."
this is googles definition of a comunity. With that logic we are both wrong because people could have played mods but not liked them.
This conversation isn't even about microsoft or mojang anymore so lets move on.
Yeah, it is two in the morning for me, just have fun with the new 1.7.10 packs. :D
I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to argue, I want just trying to remind people if, and I stress the word if, things go wrong we will just make a new sandbox to mod.
Don't apologise, you had a different opinion to me and we discussed it, I think we kept it civil so there is nothing to be ashamed about. For now just enjoy FTB and worry about that crap if it comes. :D

I'm tired and I'm going to bed, bye!

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Its good to be a bit worried since it shows how deeply we all care, but at this point in time things are still fine. All we can do is keep it that way as long as possible.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Its kinda funny seeing people making futurology about Minecraft and Microsoft when MS only said they want to improve the comunity and nothing else. No one knows what they are going to do!
But there is a lot of people already seeing the dark cloud coming....

Funny enough, a lot of people called the end of Bukkit when they found out Mojang was the owner of Bukkit. Mojang would destroy Bukkit, even after Mojang already owning Bukkit for 2 or more years and not doing a thing, but they would destroy Bukkit.

Turns out, Bukkit got destroyed by one of his own main developers, one of the comunity! The irony!!!!

My worst fear is not Microsoft destroying the game, dont think it will happen. My worst fear is the community already started destroying the game by jumping the boat even before anything happens! And more will do once MS says how or what they plan. Even if it is good they will find something bad to leave. And the best part, it will be Microsoft fault!! :p

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Its kinda funny seeing people making futurology about Minecraft and Microsoft when MS only said they want to improve the comunity and nothing else. No one knows what they are going to do!
But there is a lot of people already seeing the dark cloud coming....

Funny enough, a lot of people called the end of Bukkit when they found out Mojang was the owner of Bukkit. Mojang would destroy Bukkit, even after Mojang already owning Bukkit for 2 or more years and not doing a thing, but they would destroy Bukkit.

Turns out, Bukkit got destroyed by one of his own main developers, one of the comunity! The irony!!!!

My worst fear is not Microsoft destroying the game, dont think it will happen. My worst fear is the community already started destroying the game by jumping the boat even before anything happens! And more will do once MS says how or what they plan. Even if it is good they will find something bad to leave. And the best part, it will be Microsoft fault!! :p

Some of us realize the money corrupted type of world we live in today, and for most MC was that perfect untouched escape from it. Now a huge company bought it, a company that has a reputation for messing games up. MS only comeback game wise is "We made halo" /golfclap.

I'm not saying I agree, disagree, or even really care at this point. What has happened is way bigger then myself, and there isn't one thing I can do about it. Sit back, relax, and hope for the best. Even if that never comes the world still turns and something else has the chance to be the best

Reactions: asb3pe and SolManX