Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
They wont care about our opinion. Remember the majority of the people here think the modded community only makes up 10% of the whole Minecraft population.
So far minecraft has sold 16, 735, 000 copies of the pc version. This is out of 54 million copies sold, this would give us roughly less than a third of minecrafts sales then. The modded community does not make up the majority of vanilla minecraft, this is evidenced by the fact that popular youtubers only ever bother to play vanilla. They will only ever bother what will appeal to a larger audience, so we basically have at max 16-17% of the minecraft community using mods. In all honesty it is probably a lot less but the current figure is close enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: sqitchy

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I guess thats why the Mods Section on the MineCraft Forums still have the most threads and messages. The modding community isn't small. But when you get right down to it if microsoft is as bad as you guys are making them out to be(which they really aren't THAT bad) then they wouldn't care about the community as a whole, since the community is VERY small compared to the people that actually bought minecraft.
The last part of that is usually the case with most games. At least in terms of things like forum participation. Most people just want to play the game. And... there's nothing really wrong about that.
Hell, prior to this (FTB) forum I'd always been a lurker. I'd only go on forums to get info on something, find it, and go back about my business.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
This is why I'm not worried about the modded community. It was always kept somewhat a secret, and always will. If I had the choice to play Microsoft vanilla MC or a new sandbox that the big modders on this site made, I would chose FTB at any second of any day. I would even gladly pay the modders here for their mods and sandbox before id pay MS.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
This is why I'm not worried about the modded community. It was always kept somewhat a secret, and always will. If I had the choice to play Microsoft vanilla MC or a new sandbox that the big modders on this site made, I would chose FTB at any second of any day. I would even gladly pay the modders here for their mods and sandbox before id pay MS.
But if you did pay them they would be sued for copyright infringement.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
So far minecraft has sold 16, 735, 000 copies of the pc version. This is out of 54 million copies sold, this would give us roughly less than a third of minecrafts sales then. The modded community does not make up the majority of vanilla minecraft, this is evidenced by the fact that popular youtubers only ever bother to play vanilla. They will only ever bother what will appeal to a larger audience, so we basically have at max 16-17% of the minecraft community using mods. In all honesty it is probably a lot less but the current figure is close enough.
people who bought the game and people who are in this community are 2 different things IMO, people can by the game and never participate in forums and servers.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I guess thats why the Mods Section on the MineCraft Forums still have the most threads and messages. The modding community isn't small. But when you get right down to it if microsoft is as bad as you guys are making them out to be(which they really aren't THAT bad) then they wouldn't care about the community as a whole, since the community is VERY small compared to the people that actually bought minecraft.

I would expect the projected Microsoft behaviors more from the other company named after a fruit...

1). They do not provide any type of software at all that doesn't run on their own tightly controlled hardware environments. Their OS could easily be made to run on PCs, in fact was modified from PC based software (BSD Unix) to begin with, but they didn't.

2). I don't think there was a more litigious company than this one in the early 80's... When IBM failed to stop the advance of the clones, this company successfully destroyed at least 2 companies making look-alike hardware.

Microsoft has supported at least 6 OS environments (Digital Research's CP/m, IBM's OS/2, (PC/MS)DOS, Old Windows, NT, current Windows) in addition to products for the other companies' environments and Android (Office). They make a lot of their products available for free, such as Visual Studio Express and many various SDKs, and teachers/students can get Visual Studio Pro for free.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah but I don't have a minecraft forum account, are you telling me I'm not part of the modding community?
no, this is a genrealization of the community as a whole. Since the minecraft forums would be the best to take a statistic from since it is the most popular and the most gereral thing out there. Adding up the top 3 launcher's forum's members with this number would give you 3501344, still not a big difference.

Actually that's not a whole lot less. I consider that a pretty big amount and more then I expected.
30000000 is still far away from 16000000. its less than a fourth and as such it isn't practicle to compare the 2 numbers like they are the same.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
no, this is a genrealization of the community as a whole. Since the minecraft forums would be the best to take a statistic from since it is the most popular and the most gereral thing out there. Adding up the top 3 launcher's forum's members with this number would give you 3501344, still not a big difference.

30000000 is still far away from 16000000. its less than a fourth and as such it isn't practicle to compare the 2 numbers like they are the same.
But plenty of people that use mods don't have a forum account. That number could easily be 2-3 as much, with only me out of my group of friends having any kind of forum account.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I'm pretty sure 30 million is almost twice 16 million. :p Watch out where you're firing those zeros!
lol I type a bit to fast sometimes:p[DOUBLEPOST=1411139495][/DOUBLEPOST]
But plenty of people that use mods don't have a forum account. That number could easily be 2-3 as much, with only me out of my group of friends having any kind of forum account.
again, this how many people are IN the community, my definition of IN the community is participating in it, even having a forum account makes you IN the community to me.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
lol I type a bit to fast sometimes:p[DOUBLEPOST=1411139495][/DOUBLEPOST]
again, this how many people are IN the community, my definition of IN the community is participating in it, even having a forum account makes you IN the community to me.
My argument is that the FORUM accounts don't mean diddly squat.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
My argument is that the FORUM accounts don't mean diddly squat.
Le sigh. Once again, we see people ignoring statistics that don't fit their preconceived notions.

There are likely more than a few accounts there that aren't even active, or are spam accounts. However, for the other 90% of registered users, they've at least made a few posts, showing at least some investment in the community. This is, yes, working off of only one data point, there are many other Minecraft-related forums out there, like this one, but using data from the official one is as fair an avenue of statistical approach as any, considering that if you did include the others, you'd have to either map overlapping accounts, or make even more assumptions about the data. No, not all users are hyper-dedicated to the community. Not everyone is as invested in Minecraft as something more than a game as you, me, or others who have spent at least some amount of time interacting with the community at large. That, however, doesn't invalidate the data in the slightest. You may ignore the answers you don't like, but science and mathematics don't, and in an argument of numbers, science and math take precedence over bias and prejudice.

Reactions: SkeletonPunk