Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

atomicgermx69

Jul 29, 2019
The poor little workers in Magic 8 Balls have been working overtime all week on this topic think of there familys..:p

magic-8-ball.jpg

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
No. Once the red alarm goes off we all move to a Minecraft look alike made by the original modders who stick around. We will call it Craftmine and make it identical to what we have now, Microsoft will lose all its free advertising and community, and never make back the 2.5 bill invested. Saying that I'm assuming a company who invested 2.5 billion is dumb enough to kill half the body of the whole which is known as Minecraft.

I'd prefer Soaryn's new name... DigMake.[DOUBLEPOST=1411071227][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't see how I vastly overrated anything. Even if your still playing vanilla, any server is modded. Whether your playing factions, eco, minez, hunger games, or what ever, it's all modded. It may not be Ftb, but half of MC is most definitely modded. Any server I know of that is simply vanilla MC is practally dead, give or take a few. I refuse to believe wayyyy more then half the MC community are playing single player vanilla.

I don't think the "Realms" servers run modded MC...

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
I'd prefer Soaryn's new name... DigMake.[DOUBLEPOST=1411071227][/DOUBLEPOST]

I don't think the "Realms" servers run modded MC...

Me personally, wouldn't play on Realms then. A family, friends, or 12 year olds probably would. I would just make a Ftb cauldron server for me and my friends to play on. Playing Ftb taught me that ;) I keep forgetting that today I learned FTB is this super top secret operation that no other Minecraft player knows about. Youtube lies, and all those videos are illusions.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
This somewhat goes back to the point of what I was saying. The majority of people playing it on PE, xbox, PS, are more likely to play it lightly, or put it down and never pick it up again. The computer and modded community is so active, and always becoming better and better while making let's plays and showing everyone on the net what they are doing. I feel no matter how efficient it is to buy the PE, or how many downloads the xbox gets, We the modded community make the biggest impact. Whether you look at that impact as hidden, or obvious is up to you.[DOUBLEPOST=1411070045][/DOUBLEPOST]@Hazard
Thanks for reminding me my obvious opinion was obviously my opinion. I know im in titled to it. Thanks for the reminder.
But doesn't it actually benefit MS to have vast numbers of people purchase a game, play it lightly, then go and purchase another? From their perspective the person who makes a one time purchase and never again walks into their "stores" is a bit of a loss.

In my own personal experience..... before I started playing a lot of MC..... I'd purchase games..... beat them and generally never look back. Minecraft has been worth piles of such games because I come back to it over and over again. I'd guarantee that if I was playing on the Xbox MS would much rather I beat the game in a week and go buy another.

I'm sure the numbers are skewed, I'd wager a large number on this forum are counted multiple times as we've bought versions on other platforms, yet spend the VAST majority of our time on PC. That doesn't necessarily mean we are the most valuable segment of the community in MS eyes.

Yes the modded community makes lets plays and such, but I can't believe the hosts playing PE, and Xbox versions spend hours watching direwolf. Let alone people who've never heard of minecraft. I'm sure we pull vanilla players from all versions into the modded community, but up until now Mojang has made little off of the modded community directly. I bet the lets plays will help sell PC versions of the game, but that could actually lower the total number of games sold across the library of titles.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The thing you fail to see is that a lot of mobile users also have a pc or console...

There are a lot of kids out there who seem to prefer phones and possibly tablets over PCs, and face it... Most are not likely to have their own PCs, instead having limited access (probably for homework only) to the "family" system.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
But doesn't it actually benefit MS to have vast numbers of people purchase a game, play it lightly, then go and purchase another? From their perspective the person who makes a one time purchase and never again walks into their "stores" is a bit of a loss.

In my own personal experience..... before I started playing a lot of MC..... I'd purchase games..... beat them and generally never look back. Minecraft has been worth piles of such games because I come back to it over and over again. I'd guarantee that if I was playing on the Xbox MS would much rather I beat the game in a week and go buy another.

I'm sure the numbers are skewed, I'd wager a large number on this forum are counted multiple times as we've bought versions on other platforms, yet spend the VAST majority of our time on PC. That doesn't necessarily mean we are the most valuable segment of the community in MS eyes.

Yes the modded community makes lets plays and such, but I can't believe the hosts playing PE, and Xbox versions spend hours watching direwolf. Let alone people who've never heard of minecraft. I'm sure we pull vanilla players from all versions into the modded community, but up until now Mojang has made little off of the modded community directly. I bet the lets plays will help sell PC versions of the game, but that could actually lower the total number of games sold across the library of titles.

I know your worried, but this is starting to go back to doom talking. I realized today that the general MC community is completely different then this community. I always thought we were the same, but obviously we are not. Who cares what happens to the MS MC community. They never noticed or cared about us so forget them. This community will make a new similar sandbox if needed. You can also guarantee it will be better then before, and more mine blowing ^-^

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I think the lesson to be learned here is that market forces are complex. We can't possibly know what MS is going to do. There's things that to a lot of us, would make sense that they'd do. They may decide differently. We might be wrong at what would be the best for MC on the long run, we might be right (I think we're right). The abject anger and hate and vitriol that has been thrown at MS (and at notch), weather it's warranted or not, doesn't change anything that they're going to do or not do. The doomsaying, the anger, the pessimism, and even some of the optimism isn't helping ANYONE.

IMHO the best thing we can do right now is go back to playing our game. Carry on as usual, because nothing's happening anytime soon. So make awesome builds, horrific mass villager-consuming contraptions, beautiful gardens/farms/houses, epic reactors, or w/e you want to make. Yeah keep your eye out for MS dickery that may or may not happen. Maybe prepare for the worst by making full backups of the game and mods. But just stop freaking out right now. The only people it hinders is our own community.

*looks down* Aw hell. Where'd this soapbox come from? *steps off and kicks it back in its corner*

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Do any of you realize that the Xbox version of Minecraft is a whopping 864x864 blocks in area? With a border around the whole world? It's still the same depth... but think about that. 864x864.

Xbox was only good for one thing - learning the basics and getting that "this game is so cool!" feeling. Once I realized the limitations (not just world size, they were also many versions behind the PC), I paid another $20 for another game license for my PC (which I wasn't happy about but whatever) and never looked back. I even sold my Xbox.

And of course, once I discovered modding, I never went back to vanilla, which I now find too boring to deal with when I try it. Third-party community modding is the only reason I still play.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I know your worried, but this is starting to go back to doom talking. I realized today that the general MC community is completely different then this community. I always thought we were the same, but obviously we are not. Who cares what happens to the MS MC community. They never noticed or cared about us so forget them. This community will make a new similar sandbox if needed. You can also guarantee it will be better then before, and more mine blowing ^-^
I really didn't mean to come off as gloomy, I was more responding to the comment that WE are the most valuable platform..... I think that's a long ways from the way MS sees it. I see a big difference between discussing the simply market forces and putting on the tinfoil hats.

Heck, I think this could turn out to be a good thing if MS decides to use the modded community to develop downloadable content and what not. I fully expect them to expect payment for such......, but if an extra $15 gets me access to a well polished pack I for one wouldn't be heart broken.

*puts on helmet*

I know there are plenty who feel that mods must be free, but that is often not the best model for anyone.

Reactions: sqitchy

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Do any of you realize that the Xbox version of Minecraft is a whopping 864x864 blocks in area? With a border around the whole world? It's still the same depth... but think about that. 864x864.

Xbox was only good for one thing - learning the basics and getting that "this game is so cool!" feeling. Once I realized the limitations (not just world size, they were also many versions behind the PC), I paid another $20 for another game license for my PC (which I wasn't happy about but whatever) and never looked back. I even sold my Xbox.
Just about the same with me. Except I haven't sold my 360 for the 10 buck's it'd get. But it is so lonely on the shelf with dust.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I know there are plenty who feel that mods must be free, but that is often not the best model for anyone.
People will not like this statement but it's actually a compelling point.

I for one would like to see my favourite modders able to make a career of it, if they so choose. It's a little ok extremely unfair that everyone can make a living off modded Minecraft except the modders themselves.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

Reactions: SolManX and sqitchy

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019

I for one would like to see my favourite modders able to make a career of it, if they so choose. It's a little ok extremely unfair that everyone can make a living off modded Minecraft except the modders themselves.

Wouldn't you just love to see what could come out of some of these "guys" if they could mod as something other than a hobby? How many leave because they just can't keep up with the communities demands and the demands of the 9 to 5 and/or schooling. Just imagine if they could support themselves and their families while concentrating on creating content for us...........

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't you just love to see what could come out of some of these "guys" if they could mod as something other than a hobby? How many leave because they just can't keep up with the communities demands and the demands of the 9 to 5 and/or schooling. Just imagine if they could support themselves and their families while concentrating on creating content for us...........
That would be a perfect world and everyone would win.

T10a

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if we all have to leave Minecraft if Microsoft ditches mod support, we still have the godfather of Minecraftlikes left, Dwarf Fortress.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone

In a perfect world, yes, it would be awesome if the mod makers themselves could make a living doing what they do now as a hobby or something they love to do.

But, show me one (just one) instance, where a company has allowed such a thing to happen for one of their games. Just one. I've played ALOT of games, and have never seen a single instance of LEGITIMITE mod being out in the open, from a third party, not paid to the people that made the game. I can think of one tho my brain is sketchy in details. I think it was a train game that allowed you to buy trains made by people or something? So, let me narrow the parameter down a bit. ... by a company as big as M$ with a floor if not multiple floors of lawyers.

I think this puts them in a precarious position because of liability issues, copyright issues, etc. I used to write trainers back in the day. I wrote editors for games. All of these things are a fraction of effort that the mod makers perform, but I still always saw it as never being paid to do it. You have sites like cheathappens which, to me, is the epitomy of selling out, and it started this trend that never really took off, where you should pay for these things. I know, apples/oranges. It's my only comparison tho.

There should be a vetting process and a store to buy things, with user reviews, etc.. That would be so awesome. I'd pay 5 bucks, 10 bucks for a mod that had staying power. There are enough LP's and DW20 like people that could easily do video reviews and hype the mods so you wouldn't really need a shareware model to try before you buy.

But. Then you'd bring money into the equation. With money, comes corruption, and absolute tarnishment of the craft itself (no pun intended). You'd have 5 dollar mods that give you pikachu ears or whatever. Anything to make a buck. look at app store for iphone/ipad any time for obvious references. what if TE and pikachu ears were same amount of money? If you were king lemming, wouldn't you think that it'd be worth it to make TE 20 bucks or more? I would. Then you are almost paying the same $ as the game itself.

Too many times, we've wished for things, and gotten them. The problem with that is the phrase: be careful what you wish for, it might happen.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
But, show me one (just one) instance, where a company has allowed such a thing to happen for one of their games. Just one. I've played ALOT of games, and have never seen a single instance of LEGITIMITE mod being out in the open, from a third party, not paid to the people that made the game.
This kind of falls under "the wrong question" because there has never BEEN a game like Minecraft.

That being said, let me throw a couple random phrases at you:

Garry's Mod. Counterstrike. DOTA 2.

I also cut a list of mod developers subsequently hired by corporations.

Precedent does exist. But even disregarding that precedent, it has to start somewhere. Why wouldn't the game that currently epitomizes modding be the place that would take off?

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking