Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
I still don't believe xbox, ps, and mobile make up the majority of MC players. Maybe at first, but eventually they will get tired and figure out how much more you can do on PC. As you all know this is just my opinion, and far from facts. I have no idea how many players play what, and without official statistics I will never truly know.
I do think that the mobile users (tablets and phones) make up more than the other consoles.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
I do think that the mobile users (tablets and phones) make up more than the other consoles.
Exactly. I also don't see ps and xbox being the majority of the players. I feel PC is, but then again I have statistics to prove this.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway the xbox is failing hard in consol sales. There is no way most of MC players play on the console in last place.[DOUBLEPOST=1411063088][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mc pe sucks compared to the computer. No one will disagree.
Whether or not it sucks is irrelevant. The fact is more people use xbox/ps/PE than PC.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Where though? Who told you that? Did you see a graph or chart? Did you research that yourself? Is this assumption or fact?

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
I would agree the the smaller versions of MC would be easier to obtain. I don't know actual figures but 15 2$ minecraft PE would equal one person buying it on computer for 30. It makes sense more people would play smaller versions, but how many shift to computer, and which has the bigger impact on the community?

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks for explaining how to use Google. No really, I would have never thought of that.
Sorry however, I can't just view what random people write on the Internet and believe it. It has to be official, and made by myself doing a chart, or an official Mojang statistic.[DOUBLEPOST=1411064470][/DOUBLEPOST]
Confirmed to me, three of of my nephews play pocket edition, two xbox and only me on pc. XD
Yes I do tend to forget I'm technically talking about a child's game.
#Islowlydieinside.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I would agree the the smaller versions of MC would be easier to obtain. I don't know actual figures but 15 2$ minecraft PE would equal one person buying it on computer for 30. It makes sense more people would play smaller versions, but how many shift to computer, and which has the bigger impact on the community?

Actually, that's not the proper number.

2 $0 freebies given away on xbox probably equals at least enough direct profit on increased sales to be worth one PC version. Plus, the increase sales of XBox resulting in a win of the console wars means that XBoxes will be sold for another 4 years, and xbox gamers for another 5, for a very large tail profit.

Push a "Buy an XBox before Dec 31st, get a free copy of minecraft for yourself or to give as a gift" special, and the PS4 will be history next year.

That's before licensing/movies/lego/etc.

The smartest move Microsoft can make is to leave the PC community untouched.
Somewhere, there is one person who has the final say. Who is that, and how forward-thinking are they?

Reactions: Hambeau

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for explaining how to use Google. No really, I would have never thought of that.
Sorry however, I can't just view what random people write on the Internet and believe it. It has to be official, and made by myself doing a chart, or an official Mojang statistic.
Yes, the PC version is in several ways objectively better. That doesn't mean everyone will play it. I have a co-worker who plays on xBox and has absolutely no intention of ever going on the PC for it. Most people are this way. Consoles are more popular for gaming, just by shear numbers, for lots of reasons. Chief among them is it's easy. Most people don't want to think, at all, about their entertainment sources. And consoles facilitate just that. As for PE. You have the ease of console, and it's mobile and fits on those smartphones and tablets that are VERY popular.

*Snip*

Last edited by a moderator:

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, the PC version is in several ways objectively better. That doesn't mean everyone will play it. I have a co-worker who plays on xBox and has absolutely no intention of ever going on the PC for it. Most people are this way. Consoles are more popular for gaming, just by shear numbers, for lots of reasons. Chief among them is it's easy. Most people don't want to think, at all, about their entertainment sources. And consoles facilitate just that. As for PE. You have the ease of console, and it's mobile and fits on those smartphones and tablets that are VERY popular.

*Snip*
Thanks for this information. I never really looked at it that way.

Tat45

Jul 29, 2019
I'd be shocked if the number of modded Minecraft players exceeds 5% of the total MC player base across all platforms. We're pretty small potatoes.

Reactions: Wagon153

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
I'd be shocked if the number of modded Minecraft players exceeds 5% of the total MC player base across all platforms. We're pretty small potatoes.
Yes, but just because we're small in numbers doesn't make us insignificant. I find this community the most significant of the whole MC community. We do the most awesome things out of them all.

Reactions: dwappo

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but just because we're small in numbers doesn't make us insignificant. I find this community the most significant of the whole MC community. We do the most awesome things out of them all.

hY4Ye8c.png

Reactions: gallowglass

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
Just to put the whole PC vs Console/mobile sales argument to bed:

10 Million PE sales (dated April 23, 2013)
1 Million PS3 sales (January 24th, 2014, a little over one month after becoming available)
12 Million Xbox 360 sales (April 4th, 2014)

Total: 23 Million. And thats just the numbers from those posts. Actual sales are likely to be higher now.
Total PC/Mac sales: Less than 17 million

So yes, PC sales < Everything else.

But I've seen figures that total sales are something like 54 million in total. But your figures give only 40 million in total, that's a bit of a short fall unless it's just because your stats are out of date.

To throw another spanner in the works, right now, I wouldn't consider myself an active player. I own games that I haven't played in ages, we all do. Of those 54 million sold units, how many are active sales within the last month? How many people purchased it 12 months ago "because it's minecraft" played it for a month or two, and haven't picked it up since?

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
But I've seen figures that total sales are PE, xbox ething like 54 million in total. But your figures give only 40 million in total, that's a bit of a short fall unless it's just because your stats are out of date.

To throw another spanner in the works, right now, I wouldn't consider myself an active player. I own games that I haven't played in ages, we all do. Of those 54 million sold units, how many are active sales within the last month? How many people purchased it 12 months ago "because it's minecraft" played it for a month or two, and haven't picked it up since?
This somewhat goes back to the point of what I was saying. The majority of people playing it on PE, xbox, PS, are more likely to play it lightly, or put it down and never pick it up again. The computer and modded community is so active, and always becoming better and better while making let's plays and showing everyone on the net what they are doing. I feel no matter how efficient it is to buy the PE, or how many downloads the xbox gets, We the modded community make the biggest impact. Whether you look at that impact as hidden, or obvious is up to you.[DOUBLEPOST=1411070045][/DOUBLEPOST]@Hazard
Thanks for reminding me my obvious opinion was obviously my opinion. I know im in titled to it. Thanks for the reminder.