Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
Notch is not a "multibillionaire". That 2.5 Billion represents the entire company, of which Notch is just the major stockholder. If they were to completely liquidate he would only get a fraction of that money. That would be stupid, however, as when the sale finalizes Mojang stock would be converted. at some agreed upon rate, into Microsoft stock which would almost certainly boost it's value.

I read somewhere that his personal slice of the deal is over $1.5 billion. Ninja'd.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
A. Notch was already really rich. He always had enough retire, and didn't show sign of great greed (You can leave pretty well just from a few tens of millions, after all.). Selling out to avoid responsibility and internet harassment is not exactly the optimal solution, given the responsibility and internet harassment stem mainly just from making minecratf, which he already did.

B. Let's take a second look:

Microsoft’s investments in cloud and mobile technologies will enable “Minecraft” players to benefit from richer and faster worlds, more powerful development tools, and more opportunities to connect across the “Minecraft” community.

Microsoft’s investments in cloud and mobile technologies will enable will hold “Minecraft” players ; to benefit from richer and faster their worlds ;, more powerful development tools ;, and more opportunities to connect across the “Minecraft” community by it.

which is precisely like making the minecraft's community a microsoft community.

Last edited:

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
The talk about their "cloud technology" seems to mean that Microsoft will eventually make all world gen server side, on servers that they operate. Basically, they would make Minecraft an online-only experience even for single-player.

That would mean that you wouldn't be able to play without internet, and they could stop operating servers at any time. And, basically, it's DRM. You can't log in to their servers with your account? You can't play.

Not saying this is how it's going to be, just my observation on what is likely based on their track record. If they move forward with "Minecraft 2," then I think that my prediction is much more likely.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like every time I view this thread, someone is spouting conspiracy theories based off an incredibly skewed reading of a single sentence of a single article.

Its okay. They're not after you, you can calm down now. Breathe.
That's why I've always made sure my tinfoil helmet is secure before clicking on this thread (or any of a handful of threads for the past week :()

Reactions: pc_assassin

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
The difference between conspiracy theory and genuine worry is the you accept a conspiracy theory as absolute truth, while you worry something might be right. 99% of the pessimism on this thread would be wrong, but it's the 1% that happens to be right that's a problem.

Even if their not going to cage the community, sue the modders, overthrow the government and install a fascist/communist dictatorship, they are unlikely to fit in with the community and be happy sunshine with the players. Track record says that large companies never do well with communities (with the single exception of Apple, so take from that what you will).

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
The difference between conspiracy theory and genuine worry is the you accept a conspiracy theory as absolute truth, while you worry something might be right. 99% of the pessimism on this thread would be wrong, but it's the 1% that happens to be right that's a problem.

Even if their not going to cage the community, sue the modders, overthrow the government and install a fascist/communist dictatorship, they are unlikely to fit in with the community and be happy sunshine with the players. Track record says that large companies never do well with communities (with the single exception of Apple, so take from that what you will).
*Cleans soda off the monitor*
Apple!? Apple is one of the strongest supporters of DRM and closed-garden policy supporters there is! Hell their attitude is that you don't even truly own the hardware that you purchase from them let alone software. IE: bricking any iphone and ipod that get's any kind of modification. Their community looks 'good' due to the fact the majority of their users just 'love' apple (no idea why, but w/e, their choice)

Side note: I hope you're aware that (true)Communism and Fascism are polar opposite extremes.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
One could spend a countless amount of time trying to come up with all the possible angles that M$ could steer this ship into. The problem is that all these theories are conjecture based on bad behavior in the past which doesn't quantify directly here since this situation is somewhat unique.

M$ has a very nasty habit of shooting itself in the foot for things that are part of it's inner organization. Mojangcrosoft isn't part of that internal structure yet, so the self shooting aspect can't happen in the near future.

You tend to look at it's end goal (worst case, everything described above), and then pair it with the achievable goals that are near term, things they could do without having every MC'er lose their shit completely and start public boycotts that get press, etc... and then they trickle changes towards that end goal just little by little till their end goal is complete. simple. It just takes time. But, by that point in time, alot of unknowns could have happened by then. Hopefully someone came out with the next minecraft that's better, more moddable, made in qbasic, whatever. You just don't know.

Any large behemoth wants to contain all of it's stuff in a nice clean box, thus xbox Live would obviously be that box. (no pun intended). That would be one of those things that would make every mc'er loser their shit and protest. sorry, just a fact. So, I doubt the always on and no servers thing would happen anytime soon. I'm sure it'll happen this way: New rewrite, months if not year or more in making. Oh sorry, this new version's code requires the online aspect due to the fact that there's so much data to be transferred. A offline mode would not be possible. 1-2 days later, cracking group proves their full of crap by releasing a patch to game that allows offline mode a la simcity. so yeah, I can see that. And I will feel fine pirating minecraft at that point.

Reactions: Wagon153

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I really wish we could just well... drop it until we find out what happens, it is all conjecture at this point and there really is no point in continuing this as it is all speculation. We will just have to hope for the best and wait to see what will happen. Look, I worry about everything in life and I mean EVERYTHING. my mind goes 100 mph all the time and only focusing on worrying about something. Whether my family will be alright whats going on in the world etc etc and I am not worrying about this and that should say something.

Now go play and have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: RavynousHunter

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Once he's no longer responsible for the game he can ignore the "noise". At least until protesters in creeper pajamas start coming over his fences.... and must I point out that his share of the 2.5 will purchase an awfull lot of electric fencing.

The community will calm down. Heck if society can forget the names of men like Warren Anderson I think the gaming community can forget a game developer who sold his company. I'm sure that even today the vast majority only know him by his handle.
not protestors, insane terrorist minecraft players with bombs strapped to chests in creeper pj's. :)

Seriously, nobody will let notch live this down ever if it goes to crap as it has the potential to. Giving up your baby to get some phat lewt isn't an escape from something, it's an escape TOWARDS something. He wants to make a scrooge mcduck swimming pool full of ingots of gold.

I seriously think he realized that there was no longer anything to contribute to minecraft. He is hoping to relieve himself (in his mind only) of anything associated to it. He feels he has an idea that he wants to pursue in a completely different direction than minecraft and he wishes to make another game without minecraft hanging over his head. I'm sorry, history does not bode well for him. Look no further than Peter Molyneux for a picture of how this will play out. The guy made populous, dungeon keeper, etc... Lionhead got bought out by microsoft even.

The problem with awesome ideas is that people think they're awesome for making them even tho it might be the only awesome idea ever thought of by that normal person. right time, right place, a thousand monkeys making shakespeare, etc... It's usually the first person with something unique.

Trying to recreate that genius is usually what takes a toll on the person because they try too hard. They have to live up to their potential (self realized and externally). The problem with that is not everyone's a repeat genius, especially when it comes to creativity. That's hard since it isn't something you get better at. It's something you are or you aren't. You can lose that creativity and never get it back. Music is a real good place to look at for examples.

Notch will spend alot of that 1.5 billion on psychiatrists over the next decade or more, I'm sure. oh, and cheetos. trucks of cheetos and mountain dew.

atomicgermx69

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty, I'm going to go play while you guys do whatever it is you are doing, anyone care to also forget about
That's why I've always made sure my tinfoil helmet is secure before clicking on this thread (or any of a handful of threads for the past week :()

tin-foil-hat-cat-86335685100.jpeg

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
-snip-

Side note: I hope you're aware that (true)Communism and Fascism are polar opposite extremes.
Only if you choose to use a left to right chart for the political spectrum. ANY student of poli sci will enlighten you to the fact that such a chart is a very poor representation of political parties.

A far better representation would include a measure of the philosophies stance on personal/regional liberty. Both philosophies you cite tread heavily upon the rights a libertarian would espouse. That said a true libertarian would care little whether authority stemmed from a dictatorship of the masses or the "bourgeoisie".

derail-quotes-3.jpg

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
not protestors, insane terrorist minecraft players with bombs strapped to chests in creeper pj's. :)
-snip-
I was attempting to avoid getting too close to the old "ultra-violence" knowing my luck there is someone dedicated enough to do so...... and I'll wake up some night to a swat team........ Gitmo doesn't sound like fun.....

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
myself said:
large companies never do well with communities (with the single exception of Apple, so take from that what you will).

if the corporation with a community that loves it is the Apple and applefans make it's community, you might take from that the exceptions could be even worse.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
If Microsoft is going to focus solely on Xbox we need to think about 2 things.

Will they port it to PC? And IF so will they allow modding?
If the answers are both yes then we have nothing to worry about due to modding will do everything Microsoft wont.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Atm I' hate to see the Xbox ported to PC. Last time I remember playing with the Xbox version, it was effectively 3 major versions behind.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Atm I' hate to see the Xbox ported to PC. Last time I remember playing with the Xbox version, it was effectively 3 major versions behind.

That was due to mojang wanting to focus more onto PC then any other platform, Microsoft can easily put more staff onto the project to get Xbox/PC onto the same level.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
I've been /popcorn'ing this thread since my last post. I Still think that's what they are gonna do.

Think about it. PS4/3, iPoop.. errr iPhone, several revisions behind the PC, Win Phone 8 and Xbone up to date within a few weeks of stable release. that'll move some units. esp if those 2 platforms come with some form of MC Realms support for the platforms.

As far as the PC goes, why screw with the creativity there, it's where the ideas are experimented on and tested. (unfortunately that mean they will not be more likely to implement an API, can't be less likely than Mojang at the moment honestly.)

I do see Microsoft moving the authentication and Realms host servers to ones they one, but that's just financial, and is not a bad idea since they have a network almost as large, if not larger than Amazon. (Amazon is Mojang's current host to my knowledge)

Disclamer: This is my opinion, if you do not agree with my opinion, I probably do not care. If I have a fact incorrect however, please correct me, citing sources if you can. This just food for thought.