Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
I've read through most of the comments on this thread, especially from about where it was first stated in this thread that MS had indeed purchased Mojang.

There's been some pretty heated discussion, and in the last few pages, I think that a few people have alluded to what I think may be the reason that MS forked out for the purchase.

MS, is at core, a company that makes an OS. That is their cash cow, remove their revenue from that, and they suddenly struggle to make money from everything else. That's why MS started pouring money into universities to get Windows installed on all of the computers there, they want to imprint people who in 20 or 30 years when they're in a position to make a decision, that MS Windows is the way to go for their server infrastructure. Look at how UNIX started getting into businesses.

Now, I use Linux at work and home, but I believe that there were/are issues with Windows 8 and Minecraft. I don't know the details, so this could be completely wrong. But suppose that you're a software company, you've only recently released a new Operating System, and it's getting mixed reviews, and then a very popular game is having issues running, and the developer of that game is a bit ambivalent about getting their game to work on your operating system. What do you do?

Also, I don't believe that anyone here has mentioned Bungie. They used to make Mac games, most noticeably Marathon, most people these days probably know it for Halo. If you want to play any version of Halo, what hardware did you have to own? Xbox. When the Xbox first came out, Halo was the "killer app", Xbox sold a lot of units simply because you had to have one if you wanted to play Halo. Exclusive titles make and break in the console wars. I have heard elsewhere, and others have said in this thread, that what if the Xbox One and the Windows phone came with Minecraft? Yes, it's only a $20 game for those devices, but for some, that may be make or break.

Right now, I'm in a lull of MC. I've played it a lot in previous times, and I've taken breaks from it. It's a game that I'll probably keep coming back to because it's always changing and with mods, there are so many ways of playing it. My hope, is pretty much the same as a lot of other people have said. I hope that cross platform support stays, and I hope that mod support continues. At this stage, I'm not going to make any predictions on what Microsoft are going to do with their purchase. We just don't know. Yes uncertainty sucks, seeing a game that you've played heaps being sold to a company with a not so great record sucks, for those who's livelyhood relies on being able to make money on MC, this really sucks.

But things change. That's what happens in the world. For all we know, someone will release an MC killer in the next 6 months, and we'll all have a good laugh at Microsoft (especially Notch). As someone else said, MC may already be waning, it's been an app on the forefront of people's minds for 3 or 4 years now, it was first released in 2009. If you had told someone, in 2008 that a game was going to launch in 12 months, that would last for 5 years and still be going strong with only incremental updates over those 5 years, how many of you would have laughed?

Yeah, this is going to be interesting. MS aren't (hopefully) going to change anything overnight, they have their reasons for purchasing Mojang, we may not know those reasons for another 12 months. For the time being, I'm going to keep MC and FTB installed on my PC for when I know I'll want to play it again. At some point I may start having issues because of the MS purchase, until that time, I'll continue to enjoy my experience and I'll remember with fondness the countless hours that I've spent/wasted playing MC, mostly modded.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Dude if Minecraft was only for, or would have always been for the Xbox I would have never played it. I wont lie, the first time I played MC it was on the play store and went by Minecraft PE. I thought it sucked and hated it. All the people were talking about Minecraft this, Minecraft that, and I hated it. I thought it was so dumb and overrated. It was until one of my favorite Youtubers PBG started a Minecraft Hardcore channel with his friends. It was on PC, and they were doing all this cool stuff and having ridiculous amounts of fun. I had to play it again, and I loved it. Every second of it, and I had ridiculous amounts of fun. I joined a server and learned how to build with the best, then the owner added a FTB Ultimate server. My mind was blown. For the last 3 years I've had a ridiculous amount of fun. Constant entertainment that was perfectly consistent for only 30$. What the point of all this? I honestly don't know. I guess the bottom line is I had fun. To complain about what happens from this point on makes me a selfish bastard.

Last edited:

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I started on the day before 1.8 (beta) came out. Next day hunger and whatnot and I was so screwed :p I just kept starving to death! The animals weren't able to breed and didn't respawn, wheat takes to long to grow and I was a noob, I finally accidentally fell into a mine shaft and I saw a chest, I slowly went towards it and a creeper popped out and scared the crap out of me but I was able to kill him. In that chest was the thing that saved me from starving to death. Melon seeds. Now that I look back on it melons are a terrible source of food. Oh the memories. I just want to sit back relax and see what happens and continue to have fun.

First time I played modded minecraft I couldn't even figure out how to assemble a macerator back in 1.2.5. Then I found out about quarries and was insanely excited and became an oil overlord and refined THOUSANDS of buildcraft tanks worth of fuel. Good times, Let's all continue to have fun and have great times with each other!

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
my opinion on everything said about this. (the microsoft deal)
meme-tears-anguish.jpg

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
You have to admit, with all the hate for Bill Gates here, that he dunked insane amounts of money (more then half his fortune) on charity just for the heck of it. I don't say I like the fact that some people become this filthy rich, but if any I'd rather see Bill Gates do it and then give back something to society then some schmuck who keeps it all to himself.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
You have to admit, with all the hate for Bill Gates here, that he dunked insane amounts of money (more then half his fortune) on charity just for the heck of it. I don't say I like the fact that some people become this filthy rich, but if any I'd rather see Bill Gates do it and then give back something to society then some schmuck who keeps it all to himself.
I don't honestly understand people who make that insanely much money and insist on keeping most or all of it. What the heck are they keeping it for, exactly?

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/games-minecraft-to-join-microsoft

Oh look. XBox live integration. This is getting worst-case pretty quickly.
Ok, I read that three times and didn't see anything about xbox live integration. There were no promises, just empty non specific goals.

And yes, it would completely suck to have an xbox live console coming down on scroll lock or whatever key that is that does that, in minecraft. I fear it's probably inevitable, but yeah, there is zero drm on minecraft except for the login token. I wonder if they'll change that or make it so you have to authenticate through xbox live which I will hate since there will most likely not be an offline mode. That, in and of itself, will be a huge thing, so hopefully they don't jump the gun and just throw it out there retroactively as well.

That's another question. Will they have zero support for 1.6.4 and below? Too many questions.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Ok, I read that three times and didn't see anything about xbox live integration. There were no promises, just empty non specific goals.

And yes, it would completely suck to have an xbox live console coming down on scroll lock or whatever key that is that does that, in minecraft. I fear it's probably inevitable, but yeah, there is zero drm on minecraft except for the login token. I wonder if they'll change that or make it so you have to authenticate through xbox live which I will hate since there will most likely not be an offline mode. That, in and of itself, will be a huge thing, so hopefully they don't jump the gun and just throw it out there retroactively as well.

That's another question. Will they have zero support for 1.6.4 and below? Too many questions.
there is DRM on servers by default (unless set to offline mode)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/games-minecraft-to-join-microsoft wrote:

Our investments in cloud, Xbox Live and mobile technology will enable players to benefit from richer and faster worlds, more powerful development tools, and more opportunities to connect with the Minecraft community.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
They list three separate technologies. Notably from three different areas. Cloud (PC, mostly), Xbox Live (Console peasants), mobile (self explanatory). Seeing Xbox live mentioned and assuming that means we'll all have to deal with Xbox Live now is insane and alarmist. Xbox live is their console service, not their PC service. I do see the possibility of future minecraft versions integrating with MS's cloud services. It would make sense. And while the transition could likely be annoying, there is a lot of potential for some interesting capabilities.