More news about FTB's Future. (Important announcement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I'm sure it's a gif. I don't actually know if the launcher shows it or just passes it to the mojang code though.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
The following is not an official FTB post, just my own opinion:

Advertising is something that all enterprises these days most get involved with one way or another. Some entities have a need to place their brand out there and for that they have to contract the use of advertising agencies. Others need the additional income and have the opportunity to place advertisement blocks on their products. FTB has grown so much since its initiation that the economic needs have probably grown too great to bear without some income assistance.

An example; in order to rent space and allocate time for your business within a seminar, workshop, conventions, etc. you usually need to pay fees. For self-supporting enterprises such as FTB these fees were pure losses (since there are no profits). Slow mentioned that he had obtained assistance in covering those expenses but you cannot expect to obtain financial assistance (freely) forever. Eventually, all enterprises big and small are faced with the reality of profit vs loss. You can only maintain your own enterprise with your personal finances for so long before you are forced to make a decision. While FTB might not have a physical office space or employees it does have expenses that continue to grow along with FTB's popularity. Most of you have not seen the numbers associated with how many downloads per month, week, day, etc. but rest assured they are HUGE and inevitably growing by the hour.

As explained above, FTB has reached the point in its existence where it needs some form of financial profit in order to continue to be maintained. Therefore, a tough decision had to be made. Slow clearly explained that FTB's sole product; the launcher, will never be pay-to-use for various reasons (let us place the 'liability-and-legality of pay-for-use' topic aside, for now, at least). As a consequence, since FTB needs income to survive and will not sell its sole product then the only reasonable options left are; the selling of advertising space, and the selling of FTB merchandise. I for one do not mind seeing an ad on the launcher and/or the website at all (we all already see an average of 5,000 ads a day anyway!), specially if it will help with the continued existence of the FTB launcher we all love. FTB merchandise? Heck, if you don't like it then just don't buy it! But wouldn't it be great to own a collector's grade article of clothing with the logo of FTB on it, and at the same time know that your funds will go towards the maintenance of a product you already use for free? I for one support the decisions made.

Cheith

Jul 29, 2019
Personally it seems like a smart move. In the end it is almost impossible to create a popular, regularly updated, widely used and quality anything without some money to recompense folks for the time they spend achieving that end.

Good luck!

jjw123

Jul 29, 2019
Don't be so sure. Ever notice that FTB intro screen when you fire up Minecraft from the launcher?

What if they injected an advert there, and you had to sit through that every time you start? Slow was very specific about the launcher staying generally free from obtrusive junk, but he didn't say anything about the game itself. Pardon my fear of double-talk and sly intentions, but any time I'm involved with anything that has to do with money, nothing can be safely taken for granted.

i will say right now that i will never put an ad that you must wait for like that, any launcher ads will be like the creeperhost logo, small and out of the way, but yet still there

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Don't be so sure. Ever notice that FTB intro screen when you fire up Minecraft from the launcher?

What if they injected an advert there, and you had to sit through that every time you start? Slow was very specific about the launcher staying generally free from obtrusive junk, but he didn't say anything about the game itself. Pardon my fear of double-talk and sly intentions, but any time I'm involved with anything that has to do with money, nothing can be safely taken for granted.

Also, it's completely against Mojang's Terms of Use. If they in any way profit from the game itself, they are in for the suing of a lifetime. Profiting from the FTB brand and Website is perfectly fine, as the brand is legally separate from the game.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
i will say right now that i will never put an ad that you must wait for like that, any launcher ads will be like the creeperhost logo, small and out of the way, but yet still there
There you have it, the final word from one of the launcher devs.

Phuriousgeorge

Jul 29, 2019
As a server owner for several servers for almost 4 years, the need to fund an ever-expanding hobby/project is completely understandable. Hopefully mod makers understand and don't start restricting distribution even more.

Thanks for all the support & services you guys provide the community!

Nentify

Jul 29, 2019
Not saying I'm keen on the idea at all, but the profit (/left over money) will be split, or at least donated between the modders right? If I understand correctly, they're the reason FTB is what it is today.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
World from on high is that FTB will NEVER include adds. A great deal of discussion went into making sure that would never happen.
This thread pertains to a sight operated store being created. And only that.

Geo Terra

Jul 29, 2019
I normally try to stay impartial to things like this, however, I felt as though I should comment (I apologize if there are any spelling mistakes, it's late where I am):
For one, I FULLY support this decision to make FTB a legitimate company, and contrary to the impaitients up there, I don't mind ads at all, especially if I know if the ad supports the individual whether Adfly (for modders), YouTuber or livestreamer, just to use for examples, I don't believe in scripts and add-ons like Ad Blocker (Plus) or any others as they cheat the individual out of money that they no doubt deserve even if it's a minuscule amount.
Two, if FTB really gets out there, I think I have a new career goal to aim for aside from Mojang. I've been lurking around FTB modpacks since their inception and I really love them (though I like to roll my own customized mod packs, leave me alone xD)
Three, once the store goes live, I'll be sure to order a t-shirt or some other product just so I can support you guys and all of the modders I love.
Keep up the amazing, quality work guys. Who's awesome? *points to all of the modders and FTB team* You all are!

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
This whole thread baffles me from top to bottom. I simply don't understand even minority opposition. I'm still waiting on my ELI5 :p

vince959

Jul 29, 2019
For a volunteered project, I don't expect and demand too much.
I have a feeling that the newer releases are worse than the older ones (in terms of bugs and consistency problems)
I just hope it can become better after FTB has became a formally registered business and starts to generate revenue. No more sloppy and buggy releases please.

mangos

Jul 29, 2019
contrary to the impaitients up there, I don't mind ads at all, especially if I know if the ad supports the individual whether Adfly (for modders), YouTuber or livestreamer, just to use for examples, I don't believe in scripts and add-ons like Ad Blocker (Plus) or any others as they cheat the individual out of money that they no doubt deserve even if it's a minuscule amount.
There's a difference between an adfly link that's a minor inconvenience to click through and things like talking/flashing/popup ads on the site. Most people who use adblocker use it for those, not for tiny little things like a small ad bar at the side/top of the website. It's not cheating anyone out of anything, it's valuing your own time and attention when someone else is abusing it.

DraigoDragon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm honestly sad not at the fact that you are making a business out of ftb that Is the groups choice, What I am sad at Is that I had to read through all this crap about a future of ftb about info i honestly did not care for what I wanted to hear was about ftb Itself not the group itself

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Sponsors and merchandising partners don't care about what mod devs you've got in your stable or how hard you had to fight to keep them there. They care about the size of your playerbase, how loyal that playerbase is, and whether it's growing/shrinking/stagnant. Giving the players the short end of the stick will hurt the bottom line whether the money is coming directly from them or not.
FTB arn't selling out they still care about their player-base over everyone else, if the sponsors don't like that im pretty sure slow or nanna or anyone else wouldn't have a problem telling them to go bye bye. You seem here to be saying that because they are a business they are instantly "we need more sales, release packs quickly, get more money", i'm going to ask you now have you ever made yourself a modpack?
Nobody has said that, take another look at the last sentence in the Enigmius1 quote above.
Your interpretation of what I was saying isn't accurate. It's often necessary to evaluate things in context, which you clearly didn't do.
It's fair to point out that someone has misunderstood you, but perhaps explaining the misundestanding might have helped? I get it, you're annoyed that someone has misinterpreted you and responded to that misinterpretation. Fighting back helps no-one though.
"You don't pay for it so <whatever dismissive statement here>" isn't going to cut it. It works on the kids, but it doesn't work on me. A dollar value is being attached to the FTB logo and that can mean great things for everyone involve. The cool part about it is the synnergy...happy players translate to happy sponsor and merchandise vendors.
As the saying goes, "if you aren't paying for it, then you are the product that is being sold". It is true that we now have skin in the game as it were - we are being monetized, and I'm ok with that, but we need to be aware of it. And if anyone doesn't like it, there's a solution - the more merchandise we buy, the less desperate the FTB Megacorp will be to slather us with intrusive pop-over-and-under adverts. ;)

Sn3akr

Jul 29, 2019
Some people may be upset about this but FTB is a very good game that i enjoy almost every day, i hope this brings in enough revenue for more frequent updates for packs and also gives Mod Dev's the determination to update things better, very excited for this update, good job :)

I'm not intending to nitpick here, but if we have to be honest FTB isn't a game, not even close. The game is called Minecraft and the mods are made by the mod developers, which again has nothing to do with the FTB.. FTB is just a launcher from which u launch Minecraft and the mods others have made. ;)

ON TOPIC:

I'm a bit split about what to think of this, on one side i understand the need for fundings, and i fully support sales of merchandise, but not if i have to look at adds for mousepads, t-shirts, mugs and what not whenever i open the launcher, but from what have been said, it's gonna be kept like it already is, which i find a verypleasing and appealing way to do adds.
For adds in general, i would hate to see ads for all kinds of crap which has nothing to do with the game, e.g a Match.com add.. That would just have me think."WTF are u thinkin.. I'm about to be gamin, that's 'bout as asocial i can get, why would i want a date now?" So the adds would have to be relevant and discreete, else my adblock is coming up ASAP.

On the other side.. I don't like the idea for adds other than the mechandise. I feel a bit repelled by it,because that would be making money on other peoples work. Let's face it, if it wasn't for the mod dev's there would be no FTB, so if there was adds for this and that , the revenue would have to be split with the mod dev's for me to support the idea, no matter how it's viewed, they are the backbone of FTB.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
On the other side.. I don't like the idea for adds other than the mechandise. I feel a bit repelled by it,because that would be making money on other peoples work. Let's face it, if it wasn't for the mod dev's there would be no FTB, so if there was adds for this and that , the revenue would have to be split with the mod dev's for me to support the idea, no matter how it's viewed, they are the backbone of FTB.
I understand your concern. However, FTB have costs that most modders don't. Most modders don't run a forum and a wiki, and don't run a huge file hosting infrastructure (I can't even begin to imagine how much bandwidth is used on the day a new version of Unleashed is released). Sure, some have their own web sites and wikis and forums, and the bigger ones probably have a "donate" button of their own, some of which I have clicked. I have no objection to FTB attempting to cover their significant costs. This isn't about "making money". It's about continued existence. And regarding splitting the proceeds - firstly, how would you decide which modders get how much money? And, wouldn't it be better to keep the fundraising down to the minimum level required to keep the service running and to cover modest expansion, rather than going for a surplus to dish out to modders?

BlazeKnightSS

Jul 29, 2019
sounds perfectly fair. and just as long as you give credit and equal opportunity to all the mod devs involved it should be a win-win situation for anyone involved

Status
Not open for further replies.