Mod Pack Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

sporkwars02

Jul 29, 2019
thank, you finely some one offering assistance. will i loose the month worth of building i have done so far?

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
You won't necessarily lose buildings - unless of course you delete the world folder (whatever you named it).

But, if you're using say EBXL (from FTB for 1.4.7) and you use the EBXL for 1.5.2; you'll have zone tearing in unexplored chunks (when it suddenly goes from desert to mountain, and you're staring at a big huge wall of stone going straight up; of course that wouldn't have mattered if it were FTB or not - that'll ALWAYS happen (supposedly it's fixed in EBXL 4 - but that's another story)).

There's a chance stuff isn't there either: Xycraft and Redpower aren't out for 1.5.2. So you could have holes in your buildings (or machines with missing pipes; not having pneumatic tubes kills us...)

End result is there's always gonna be issues when using mods; and going from one version to the next. Using FTB won't fix that either; at least not until 1.6 (when Mojang releases this API and updating because a cinch...)

sporkwars02

Jul 29, 2019
the hole pain of patching and screwing up my install was the reason i shelved mincraft back around 1.4.7. the problem is i work a full time job and then some, so when i get home i don't want to play where is the hole in my game and how do i fix it. my buddy talked me in to setting up a server whit what i was told to be "easy one step", so i bought one and let him configure the ftb pack. i may play with it using your directions, but if i cannot get it to work ill more than likely cancel the server and you wont see me for a while.

any who thank you for the response and a point in a direction to attempt to fix this thing.

if a dev happens to read this will please make it so that people with one click setup servers can downgrade the launcher so that we still have access to our worlds with out having to figure out how to reprogram the hole thing manually.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Iirc, xycraft isn't going to release till 1.6, or so I heard in the background while listening to myrathi (sp?) That might have been speculation though, since I did see another streamer playing a 1.5.x test version of xycraft. And I must say, the inferno chamber looks awesome when it's being used.

Wyld

Jul 29, 2019
judging from what i have seen you wont get any assistance. i am having the same problems as other with the missing mod packs on the server. i pressed the contact button and sent a message stating that i am paying for a server i can no longer access. the server had a ftb button to press to bring in all the mods, and no option to update the ftb pack. so now i am stuck paying good money for a server i have not been able to log in to for 3 days. i love the ftb content but loosing patience with devs that make the older version options that don't work. not good practice leaving your paying customers hanging imo.
You do realise, you don't pay for a thing for FTB. Your hosting service is utterly separate to FTB.

Just a quick update, I'm finishing up testing the 0.5 beta release for 1.5.2 packs .. and once they're done and uploaded, I'm going to take some time and build a server release for each pack as well. I'll post something once they are ready.

I will also take a quick moment to remind people, these are betas and not 'production'. There are errors, there are issues, but each release is smoother - at least from my testing and observation. We do not recommend any server use the 1.5.2 packs, without accepting the risks of using beta releases. If you are unsure, in any way, stay on 1.4.7 releases.

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick update, I'm finishing up testing the 0.5 beta release for 1.5.2 packs .. and once they're done and uploaded, I'm going to take some time and build a server release for each pack as well. I'll post something once they are ready.
Will these include all the 'missing mods' that weren't in the others? (like either Biomes of Plenty/Extra Biomes XL, Inventory Tweaks, Mini-maps, etc...); That's the only problem I've seen with the lower versions in all honesty (I personally haven't encountered any bugs....)

Wyld

Jul 29, 2019
Will these include all the 'missing mods' that weren't in the others? (like either Biomes of Plenty/Extra Biomes XL, Inventory Tweaks, Mini-maps, etc...); That's the only problem I've seen with the lower versions in all honesty (I personally haven't encountered any bugs....)
1/ Biomes, currently no. If you do wish, you can always add in your favourite biome mod yourself.
2/ Latest InvTweaks is being tested.
3/ Latest VoxelMap is now added.

Reactions: Stephen Dunne

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019

And sadly no matter how much you say and emphasize it people still don't know how to read.

Hopefully 0.5's download won't encounter the same problems as .3 and .4, but other than that I wanna see what all has been fixed and added, as well as how stable its becoming.

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
1/ Biomes, currently no. If you do wish, you can always add in your favourite biome mod yourself.
2/ Latest InvTweaks is being tested.
3/ Latest VoxelMap is now added.
Awesome - I can live with that. I personally really want EBXL 4.0 anyway (it's still in development) :) (They're going to add code so you can put a 'weight' on biomes (hurray for being able to tell the generator 'stop with all the damn snow biomes!') :)

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Wyld's responses above serve as an excellent example: even if you do not receive a quick answer to your questions and/or comments regarding this thread's subject it does not mean that the FTB team is not reading your feedback and questions. Rest assured that the team is hard at work behind-the-scenes, and your feedback is indeed noted and greatly useful, helpful, and appreciated. Just as you have seen occur thus far; as soon as additional information is available it will be released, and as soon as questions can be satisfactorily answered they will be.

Reactions: Stephen Dunne

sporkwars02

Jul 29, 2019
You do realise, you don't pay for a thing for FTB. Your hosting service is utterly separate to FTB.

I will also take a quick moment to remind people, these are betas and not 'production'. There are errors, there are issues, but each release is smoother - at least from my testing and observation. We do not recommend any server use the 1.5.2 packs, without accepting the risks of using beta releases. If you are unsure, in any way, stay on 1.4.7 releases.

i fully understand the concept of beta, and i do realize that i am paying a server farm to host the ftb server for me. i just want an option to downgrade to the level that is installed on my server. i am totally cool with the random stripes taken out of my world, the fact that one of my signs is some how connecting to a timer, on occasion the quarry disappearing after being laid down, the random crashes, the distillation tower that cost way to much to make for its usefulness, ect. totally cool with all that, i understand the in development part. i am even cool with the slow development of a non funded mod pack. the not being able to use the old stuff to log in to the server that i have spent a lot of time figuring what each block/machine dose despite the nondescript wiki. all i ask is dont leave me hanging by releasing a version that is non compatible whit the previous version aka backwards compatible. all reputable software is backwards compatible with typically the past 5 versions or more. god could you imagine if window$ or mack os was not backwards compatible?

Wyld

Jul 29, 2019
all i ask is dont leave me hanging by releasing a version that is non compatible whit the previous version aka backwards compatible. all reputable software is backwards compatible with typically the past 5 versions or more. god could you imagine if window$ or mack os was not backwards compatible?
Nope. All 1.5 packs are experimental, as pointed out on the 1.5 Pack Page.

"This pack is not backwards or forwards compatible, it uses a different set of ID maps from all of our previous packs and within the next few weeks we expect that you will need to regen your worlds, within the next few weeks we hope to update the pack adding or possibly removing mods with world gen changes meaning current worlds will be of no use. Once again I want to stress that you should not play this pack with the view of being a player, if you want to use it you should consider yourself a tester so we can get a feel for what the community thinks and get bug reports."​

Your example of operating systems is a good one, actually. When I was testing new operating systems (OS/2, Windows, Linux, etc) there is always an understanding (indeed, a contractual one at points) that experimental systems should never be used in any production instance. There is no guarantee that it will be inter-operative between releases, work with the final product, or set fire to the chair you're sitting in.

Also, Windows and OSX are commercial products. So there's that as well.

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
all i ask is dont leave me hanging by releasing a version that is non compatible whit the previous version aka backwards compatible. all reputable software is backwards compatible with typically the past 5 versions or more. god could you imagine if window$ or mack os was not backwards compatible?
Then stick with 1.4.7 - you won't need to worry about it. You want to upgrade to the latest version, you gotta wait till it's released. It's that simple.

FTB doesn't write the mods; they tweak the configurations to make sure there is compatibility. So ie. Mojang releases 1.6; THEN the mod developers fix their mods for 1.6; THEN FTB goes to work. Complaining about stuff not being finished is pointless.

And if you think all versions of windows are compatible with previous versions? Just go ask your local IT guy what he thinks of that; watch him laugh you out of his office... And as for Apple - believe, they have NO PROBLEM at all, about cutting off support for older versions of software. I just told a friend of mine what you said, and even before I got "could you imagine" out of my mouth, he was laughing that "this guy has clearly never used an apple product..."

Also, Windows and OSX are commercial products. So there's that as well.
I've worked in an IT department for the past 10-15 years; there's ALWAYS problems about compatibility. The backwards compatibility option only goes so far and works so well... There are tons of companies still using XP - even tho it's discontinued.

sporkwars02

Jul 29, 2019
all rite so here is a complete ctrl c/v of whats listed on the server i pay for.
"Ultimate Server (FTB Pack) A collection of mods, for the popular feed the beast server mod."

never in that description of zip file was it mentioned that ftb was in bata. so from my prospective i did not even know i had installed a bata, and will go farther to quote that there is a
"Feed The Beast [Beta A] The New Mod to the minecraft community, that provides you with a large list of mods at your disposal." mod pack option that was not installed cause of bata in the title.

that being stated the word bata is no where to be found on the front page of the exe launcher as well as the main page of the patched minecraft. not even sure if your web page has it cause the exe was sent over teamspeak from my buddy. so from my prospective i was playing a stable release, that after patch all of a sudden dose not connect to the server. actions from there were, post in forums where i started to find out things were in bata but still not sure if its just the patch or the hole ftb. no responses, so on day 2 i send an email. once again no response, not even an automated reply "we have received your message, expect response in 24 to 48 hrs". day 3, i see others having same problems on forum with little to no response. so yeah i poked with a slightly larger pointer stick.

i used the os thing cause i can still open files that were made on my old win 3.11 box on my win 7 box if i take the appropriate actions first.

idk where the production/commercial comment came from. if your implying that i am being paid to run a server for other folks and they are up set leading to me being blunt on the forums. i can assure you that it is all out of my pocket for the server and only for fun with some buds. i have also done bata testing of stuff most recent being dust 514 and boy can i tell you the word bata was stuck on every page as well as in the nda in big bold letters. from the moment i had clicked the accept download button, till the release day i saw that word.

my hole intent for posting on here was to get some kind of direction to head in. i did not intend to get in to any battles, nor am i trying to insult any one, and will go on farther to thank Tyrellan for the only help full information i have gotten out of all this. btw i dont even know if i am talking with devs or forum members right now. lack of identification/documentation/information has gotten me confused and a bit upset. once again that comment is not implied for any one person. my host is clearly to blame for the lack of the word bata in the mod description, leading me to expect a some what prompt response out of ftb.

sporkwars02

Jul 29, 2019
Then stick with 1.4.7 - you won't need to worry about it. You want to upgrade to the latest version, you gotta wait till it's released. It's that simple.

FTB doesn't write the mods; they tweak the configurations to make sure there is compatibility. So ie. Mojang releases 1.6; THEN the mod developers fix their mods for 1.6; THEN FTB goes to work. Complaining about stuff not being finished is pointless.

And if you think all versions of windows are compatible with previous versions? Just go ask your local IT guy what he thinks of that; watch him laugh you out of his office... And as for Apple - believe, they have NO PROBLEM at all, about cutting off support for older versions of software. I just told a friend of mine what you said, and even before I got "could you imagine" out of my mouth, he was laughing that "this guy has clearly never used an apple product..."

I've worked in an IT department for the past 10-15 years; there's ALWAYS problems about compatibility. The backwards compatibility option only goes so far and works so well... There are tons of companies still using XP - even tho it's discontinued.
as far as i know both ftb and and the server are running on minecraft 1.4.7 and i tried the lower version options in the launcher with no luck. i am not complaining about stuff not being finished. i am only looking for some helpful insight on a way to play the game as it was before the patch that updated or removed all the mods.

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
Dude - you just don't get it. WHAT YOUR SERVER'S SAY IS BEYOND IRRELEVANT. THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH FTB. FTB HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM. DO YOU NOT GET THAT?

My God... If you want to play on a 1.4.7 server - YOU USE 1.4.7 SOFTWARE! FTB has nothing to do with that - that's how MOJANG wrote the software. If you don't like, go yell at them. And the "idk where the production/commercial comment came from" because FTB is FREE; there ARE NO GUARENTEES or anything with their work. You didn't pay for it; so if you don't like it - don't use it.

So, let's start over. MOJANG wrote Minecraft (Not the FTB team). Each version of Minecraft (which again, has NOTHING to do with FTB Team) is different from ALL previous (and FUTURE) versions minecraft. If you set up a server using the 1.4.7 version, anyone that plays on that server MUST USE 1.4.7. If you are running a 1.2.5 server, you have to use 1.2.5. THAT is where FTB comes in, they have written different version packs so you CAN switch between versions quickly! That's the ONLY thing FTB does!

What's happening here is, you have no clue how minecraft works - and you're yelling at everyone thinking you're right when you're completely wrong. The end result, if you and your friends want to play what's on your server that you're playing for, MATCH IT. If you're not sure what that is, ASK THE GUYS YOU RENT THE SERVER FROM.

Reactions: Francis Baster

Wyld

Jul 29, 2019
as far as i know both ftb and and the server are running on minecraft 1.4.7 and i tried the lower version options in the launcher with no luck. i am not complaining about stuff not being finished. i am only looking for some helpful insight on a way to play the game as it was before the patch that updated or removed all the mods.
There are many FTB packs. From mindcrack to direwolf20, from ultimate to lite, and including the 1.5.2 beta test pack that this thread is about.

Your server will be running a specific *instance* of FTB. Also, your server will not be using the 1.5.2 release, because there currently is no 1.5.2 server release.

You need to use the FTB Launcher, and then select the *pack* your server is set up to. If you have already been playing in your server, all your settings will already be there. This is because the Launcher uses instances as well. This way, you can play multiple different types of FTB.

Perhaps you have stumbled into the wrong thread. You may be better served by visiting the support area of the forums, and posting your specific issue there.

seattleda

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if the Devs have ever considered building a mod pack as a Kickstarter project? Funneling a large percentage to the mod authors of each pack and keeping some for their work building the pack itself. Its all donations though; no actual product is 'sold' when the project is funded, but $$ goes a long way to advertise and motivate.

Status
Not open for further replies.