Mod Pack Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Temptation, rising.

Look, honestly, I love me some GregTech. I think it's quite a good mod, if you want to play that way. My concern is to find a middle ground for as many players as possible. Greg seems to think differently.

At this stage, I'll probably be playing/running a 0.7.1 NGT server .. and this annoys me. I really would prefer to have a GT based game, but this is becoming somewhat silly.

No kidding. GT is meant to balance the over powered nature of some or most mods. Great works fine. But every time anyone gets a good idea of how to make things a bit easier he makes it harder. Worse still sometimes mod authors decides that there mod is over powered. And make there mod harder. And is GT made easier to re-balance it. No. So basically we are getting nerfed on both ends. And no one is paying enough attention to each other to even consider fixing it.

The rest of this is just rant so you can skip it.
I've bin playing hours a day for several versions now. Started with Mindcrack then Ultimate now this. And even starting ultimate on day one I was never able to get a grav suit. Though a nasty chunk killing crash had a hand in that.
The point it there's just so much to do in these mod packs that unless we are allowed to make some things easy.
We will never be able to get anything else done.
Like bees I've tried to get into bees 3 times now. Never get to it because I'm managing and working on the main system constantly. And heaven forbid you try to actually build something in FTB. Forget about it it's not going to happen. No wonder Direwolf loves 9*9s so much. He dousen't even use GT and it's all he has time to make.
Isn't half the the point of Minecraft the building. And half the point of a mod pack like FTB making things to make life easier. So you can do more things.
And with these new changes... what's the point. A single player GT world. There's just no point if you cant get anywhere before the next world killing update.
So a single player GT world or at this point almost any single player FTB world good luck with that.
Maybe I should just stick with creative mode.
Nah. Maybe just one more time.
End rant.

Reactions: Sarda

mr10movie

Jul 29, 2019
The rest of this is just rant so you can skip it.
Isn't half the the point of Minecraft the building. And half the point of a mod pack like FTB making things to make life easier. So you can do more things.

I always thought half the point of FTB was to add machines and magic and other cool stuff to the game. If the point of some of these mods is to make things easier, then fair enough, but if it becomes too easy, then it just becomes boring.

mr10movie

Jul 29, 2019
Also, if your struggling with IC2 because of gregtech, then there is a simple solution, don't use the pack with gregtech (or change the configs to suit you). Or if you really don't want to go into editing files, just use modular powersuits instead of quantum armour, and use thermal expansion instead of IC2 (I have my modular powersuits recipes on gregtech mode (I like a challenge :p) but I think they are default IC2 or Thermal Expansion in the Ultimate and beta packs). There is probably an alternative to everything IC2 does.

NullCascade

Jul 29, 2019
Wyld,

Earlier you mentioned that 0.7.1 (now 0.8) you may reorder IDs, invaliding old worlds.

Currently, it is possible to use a 0.6 -- or even a FtB Ultimate world -- on 0.7, assuming the stars at least somewhat align (meaning, not heavily using RP2 or the like). Additionally, it was stated that if there were no problems 0.7, it may be made as the release candidate.

Could you provide any more of your thoughts on changing the IDs and invalidating old worlds? I, and I'm sure others, have converted/started anew on 0.7, and would like to know if things are going to explode. I'm also just generally curious as to your desires for this change, and what the benefit of it would be? (Easier updates for you guys, I imagine?)

Thanks!

Also: You rock! Thank you for your dedication.

Wyld

Jul 29, 2019
Could you provide any more of your thoughts on changing the IDs and invalidating old worlds? I, and I'm sure others, have converted/started anew on 0.7, and would like to know if things are going to explode. I'm also just generally curious as to your desires for this change, and what the benefit of it would be? (Easier updates for you guys, I imagine?)

Yeah, the core reason for a full ID reshuffle is to provide some sanity behind the scenes .. when it comes to managing mods, expanding on them, that sort of thing. The easier it is for us to manage, and indeed for server admins as well .. the faster releases and updates occur, as well as it being easier on server admins to tweak their specific wants and expansions.

As far as 0.8 goes, there was *two* itemID changes for the NGT version. The artifact and omniwrench got shifted so it matches the same IDs in the WGT pack. As far as I can see, that should be the only issue.

NullCascade

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the core reason for a full ID reshuffle is to provide some sanity behind the scenes .. when it comes to managing mods, expanding on them, that sort of thing. The easier it is for us to manage, and indeed for server admins as well .. the faster releases and updates occur, as well as it being easier on server admins to tweak their specific wants and expansions.

As far as 0.8 goes, there was *two* itemID changes for the NGT version. The artifact and omniwrench got shifted so it matches the same IDs in the WGT pack. As far as I can see, that should be the only issue.
Thanks for the info, Wyld! Hope you feel better soon.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

Imagine how easy it would be in Mojang used alphanumerics for block IDs instead of just numbers. It would be so simple. Mod name/block ID. No one would ever get ID conflicts. :/[DOUBLEPOST=1372569447][/DOUBLEPOST]
I always thought half the point of FTB was to add machines and magic and other cool stuff to the game. If the point of some of these mods is to make things easier, then fair enough, but if it becomes too easy, then it just becomes boring.
We have over 50 mods. I'm pretty sure you can find something better to do with all of them than babysitting GT things.

Reactions: Sarda

turtlelord

Jul 29, 2019
You scared me Wyld, removing GT would be the dumbest thing in the world xD
Without GT you would hit endgame within hours, and on top of that there wouldn't even be an end game to reach.

Reactions: mr10movie

mr10movie

Jul 29, 2019
You scared me Wyld, removing GT would be the dumbest thing in the world xD
Without GT you would hit endgame within hours, and on top of that there wouldn't even be an end game to reach.

This is the kind of post that makes me want to wake up in the morning and check the forums, well done sir!

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
On the subject of GTs automatic machines against the IC2 machines, I think it doesn't matter as the recipes are the same. Why no advanced machines though, I added Immibis's without any problems?

Reactions: mr10movie

mr10movie

Jul 29, 2019
On the subject of GTs automatic machines against the IC2 machines, I think it doesn't matter as the recipes are the same. Why no advanced machines though, I added Immibis's without any problems?

Yea, and its adding more features (the automation), so I dont see what the problem is.....

Although I dont know why there are no advanced machines, I could probably guess it has something to do with the fact that they 'dont work' with the vision of Gregtech (but I dont know why not for NGT pack)

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I take it back, there's no information on the buttons, how they are supposed to be automatic and the upgrades are cumbersome (you can't remove them) and the energy penalities are typically GT (in other words stupid).

Put the normal ones back I'd say.

WTB an up to date GT WIKI with some proper information!!

mr10movie

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I take it back, there's no information on the buttons, how they are supposed to be automatic and the upgrades are cumbersome (you can't remove them) and the energy penalities are typically GT (in other words stupid).
Ok, firstly, I agree with there being no information on the buttons, but a quick 10 second search on reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/search?q=buttons gregtech&restrict_sr=on) found exactly what you are looking for.
Secondly, about the upgrades. Look at Tinkers Construct. They have upgrades for their tools. Can they be moved around from tool to tool? No. Does this make them cumbersome, not really. I agree that its a feature that I may miss occasionally when playing, but I completely agree with the idea about one time use upgrades. Look at when you upgrade your computers. Once you give it more ram, better graphics card, better processor, do you really want to go back to how it was before? Well, if you do, then something bad must have happened, as I dont usually want to un-upgrade my PC....
Point is, greg has some cool ideas, that make sense. Just let him do what he wants to do, and if it upsets you (talking to everyone here), then use his universal config files, literally, 70% of everything he does can be changed in the configs if you look hard enough.

Edit: The entire post isnt a quote XD

Status
Not open for further replies.