Mekanism: Feature Request Thread

unpairedbracket

Jul 29, 2019
@PonyKuu was actually right all along. Speed upgrades (by default) actually multiply both speed and power requirement by the ninth root of ten per upgrade (so energy per operation remains the same) and energy upgrades multiply the size of internal buffer and divide the power required (and thus, all other things being equal, energy per operation) by the same factor (which should actually be the eighth root of nine, I've just realised, because you can't actually add nine upgrades to a machine).

Is it overpowered? Probably, but it was my first ever contribution to Mekanism and it was at least better than what came before it (speed upgrades inadvertently reducing energy per operation, and I believe it was @PonyKuu getting annoyed at that which first motivated me to contribute so... thanks!). I'm thinking it would be a bit more balanced if I made the exponential growth of power consumption twice as fast as the decay of operation duration, and twice as fast as the decay in energy consumption due to energy upgrades (so power consumption becomes
Code:
default * factor ^ (2 * speedUpgrades - energyUpgrades)
instead of
Code:
default * factor ^ (speedUpgrades - energyUpgrades)
).

On another note, me and my Chemistry A Level thought it might be cool if we made the sulphuric acid production process a bit more realistic (which adds complexity as well), making it similar to the real-life contact process:
  1. Enrich gunpowder to get sulphur (or collect it from Railcraft or some other mod that worldgens it)
  2. Burn the solid sulphur to produce sulphur dioxide gas (S (s) + O2 (g) → SO2 (g))
  3. Oxidise the sulphur dioxide to sulphur trioxide (2 SO2 (g) + O2 (g) → 2 SO3 (g))
Then we can do one of 2 things:
  1. Introduce the sulphur trioxide directly into water (SO3 (g) + H2O (l) → H2SO4 (g)) This is really energetic and creates a "corrosive aerosol" (thanks wikipedia) which is difficult to deal with. Maybe make them condense it and use the liquid stuff?
  2. Introduce the sulphur trioxide into existing sulphuric acid to make "fuming sulphuric acid" (SO3 (g) + H2SO4 (l) → H2S2O7 (l)) then add water to that to get more sulphuric acid back (H2S2O7 (l) + H2O (l) → 2 H2SO4 (l)).
Of course this does have the immediate issue of needing 2 machines for the first part (item+gas→gas(repurpose chemical formulator?); gas+gas→gas(chemical infuser)), then 2 more for each second part (gas+liquid→gas;rotary condensentrator or gas+liquid→liquid;liquid+liquid→liquid). I'd personally opt for the first one; while it's not as realistic as the second, the second doesn't really have any tangible advantages that would warrant adding a new fluid just as an intermediate and another new machine.

Anyway, I'll stop now. Thoughts, @Aidan? Everyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: PonyKuu

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
@PonyKuu was actually right all along. Speed upgrades (by default) actually multiply both speed and power requirement by the ninth root of ten per upgrade (so energy per operation remains the same) and energy upgrades multiply the size of internal buffer and divide the power required (and thus, all other things being equal, energy per operation) by the same factor (which should actually be the eighth root of nine, I've just realised, because you can't actually add nine upgrades to a machine).

Is it overpowered? Probably, but it was my first ever contribution to Mekanism and it was at least better than what came before it (speed upgrades inadvertently reducing energy per operation, and I believe it was @PonyKuu getting annoyed at that which first motivated me to contribute so... thanks!). I'm thinking it would be a bit more balanced if I made the exponential growth of power consumption twice as fast as the decay of operation duration, and twice as fast as the decay in energy consumption due to energy upgrades (so power consumption becomes
Code:
default * factor ^ (2 * speedUpgrades - energyUpgrades)
instead of
Code:
default * factor ^ (speedUpgrades - energyUpgrades)
).

On another note, me and my Chemistry A Level thought it might be cool if we made the sulphuric acid production process a bit more realistic (which adds complexity as well), making it similar to the real-life contact process:
  1. Enrich gunpowder to get sulphur (or collect it from Railcraft or some other mod that worldgens it)
  2. Burn the solid sulphur to produce sulphur dioxide gas (S (s) + O2 (g) → SO2 (g))
  3. Oxidise the sulphur dioxide to sulphur trioxide (2 SO2 (g) + O2 (g) → 2 SO3 (g))
Then we can do one of 2 things:
  1. Introduce the sulphur trioxide directly into water (SO3 (g) + H2O (l) → 2 H2SO4 (g)) This is really energetic and creates a "corrosive aerosol" (thanks wikipedia) which is difficult to deal with. Maybe make them condense it and use the liquid stuff?
  2. Introduce the sulphur trioxide into existing sulphuric acid to make "fuming sulphuric acid" (SO3 (g) + H2SO4 (l) → H2S2O7 (l)) then add water to that to get more sulphuric acid back (H2S2O7 (l) + H2O (l) → 2 H2SO4 (l)).
Of course this does have the immediate issue of needing 2 machines for the first part (item+gas→gas(repurpose chemical formulator?); gas+gas→gas(chemical infuser)), then 2 more for each second part (gas+liquid→gas;rotary condensentrator or gas+liquid→liquid;liquid+liquid→liquid). I'd personally opt for the first one; while it's not as realistic as the second, the second doesn't really have any tangible advantages that would warrant adding a new fluid just as an intermediate and another new machine.

Anyway, I'll stop now. Thoughts, @Aidan? Everyone?
Look at you @unpairedbracket, showing off your intelligence :)

Yes, yes, and yes. All those ideas sound brilliant, and I see you've already committed the upgrade changes to the dev branch. I added the Chemical Infuser and Chemical Formulator as the foundation for something much more complex, and I'm so glad you've found ideas to incorporate them. Currently, the 4x ore processing is primarily a template, it just contains my overall goal for how I would like it to function.

As for the processing itself, I would agree that the first option sounds more viable in regards to the process for the reasons you stated. Feel free to begin the TileEntity implementations of those machines (you can use the Rotary Condensentrator/Chemical Formulator/Chemical Infuser classes for reference), I'll deal with getting the artwork (GUIs, models) and plugging in the base code. Just give me a quick description of each one.

@unpairedbracket, go ahead and start on this whenever you're ready. I can finish off multipart myself, it's 100% complete and just lacking testing. Looking forward to progress.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Why isn't Mekanism listed on the new version of the UE site? Resonant Induction is still listed however. Where can we download Mekanism now?

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Why isn't Mekanism listed on the new version of the UE site? Resonant Induction is still listed however. Where can we download Mekanism now?
Found this gem on the new site
"
The website is currently under development! Not all pages may work correctly!"
Probably has something to do with it. Especially since RI was merged into Mekanism

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Found this gem on the new site
"
The website is currently under development! Not all pages may work correctly!"
Probably has something to do with it. Especially since RI was merged into Mekanism

But it was merged as a new module of Mekanism. Does it have something to do with UE3?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Feature Request: Redstone Flux Equivalence Mode

Currently, there are options for MJ and IC2 power ratios, but not for RF. What I'd really like to see is an option for 1J = 1RF. I can sort-of do that by altering the MJ conversion to 10:1 and reducing all output and consumption numbers by 40% (so long as IC2 isn't involved in the mod pack, in which case you'd have to alter the IC2 ratio similarly), however it doesn't really have an option to change the J:RF ratio (should currently be 2.5:1 if you go by MJ as your conversion basis).

This would vastly simplify numbers for the end-user and make it much easier to calculate how much power is going to be needed when doing cross-mod power support.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
It's moving towards the direction of the RF ecosystem of mods, at least the way I see it. Design-wise I don't know the fine details.

Redstone Flux? Why, that's marvelous! The RF family is already a step above, but this will just make it the go to system. I might assemble my own modoack based only on RF power.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
The UE mods have always been able to use MJ haven't they? Being able to use RF as well as or instead of MJ makes sense.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think it's becoming RF only, but it certainly fits best with RF and that family of mods, like TE3, MFR, Big Reactors and Redstone Arsenal.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think it's becoming RF only, but it certainly fits best with RF and that family of mods, like TE3, MFR, Big Reactors and Redstone Arsenal.

Don't forget Enhanced Portals, Extra Utilities, Applied Energistics, Modular Powersuits, Galacticraft, Engineer's Toolbox , EnderIO, Dynamic Tanks 2. It's such a big family I'm not sure we even need other power systems.

Reactions: PierceSG

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps a Mekanism-y equivalent to IC2s scaffolding?

would be cool, with perhaps some more functionality then the IC2 scaffolds
and ofcourse, a reasonable output for the crafting... scaffolds are great for a quick base that's easy to take down

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to collect the gas that is dumped from the Electric Seperator? Ex: I have one feeding into an an Enrichment Chamber and its using O2 but I'm dumping the Hydrogen so the Electric Seperator dosent stall when the hydrogen fills up. Is there a way I can collect the Hydrogen for a Hydrogen generator or a jetpack?

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to collect the gas that is dumped from the Electric Seperator? Ex: I have one feeding into an an Enrichment Chamber and its using O2 but I'm dumping the Hydrogen so the Electric Seperator dosent stall when the hydrogen fills up. Is there a way I can collect the Hydrogen for a Hydrogen generator or a jetpack?
You can collect one or the other, not both

Reactions: PierceSG

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You can easily run one set by itself producing hydrogen and powering itself. Instead of sticking the Hydrogen Generator right on the Electrolytic Separator, add in a gas tube (forgot the name :p) inbetween and stick a gas tank right by the tube. Run a power cable from the Hydrogen Generator to the Electrolytic Separator. It will collect hydrogen in the gas tank where you can insert your jetpack into for refueling.

The gas tank is also portable so you can bring a full tank with you so you can refuel it while you're outside.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
You can collect one or the other, not both

You can easily run one set by itself producing hydrogen and powering itself. Instead of sticking the Hydrogen Generator right on the Electrolytic Separator, add in a gas tube (forgot the name :p) inbetween and stick a gas tank right by the tube. Run a power cable from the Hydrogen Generator to the Electrolytic Separator. It will collect hydrogen in the gas tank where you can insert your jetpack into for refueling.

The gas tank is also portable so you can bring a full tank with you so you can refuel it while you're outside.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Ah thank you. I was also wondering is Mekanism going to be added to any of the new FTB mod packs like the Monster or Tech World 2 packs?