Machine Request: Clay Maker

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf doesn't really like much new... project red was even a big deal for him and there wasn't even a learning curve :p.

This is true, but I don't like it. His mod repertoire barely expanded from 1.4 (maybe even 1.2). He doesn't really deviate from what's on Forge Craft. Where's the fun in watching him using the same mods twice?

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
This is true, but I don't like it. His mod repertoire barely expanded from 1.4 (maybe even 1.2). He doesn't really deviate from what's on Forge Craft. Where's the fun in watching him using the same mods twice?
I completely agree, which is why if he does something cool, I appreciate it and watch an episode, otherwise I just shrug my shoulders, return to my awesome custom pack and play my heart out. He also doesn't have as much time to spend learning new things because of RL and he is a youtuber. He did say during minecon that he wanted to try out enderIO, and it appears nothing came out of that at all.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I got bored with FTB 1.5 packs because I mastered them, which is why I switched to RR to learn MEK, now switched back to Horizons to learn Rotarycraft (and a few others). I'll keep switching packs until something comes along that grabs my intense interest to play SMP on. I almost did with Bevo's new mod pack but alas it contains ...... the forbidden one....

I may still try it but there's no SMP servers yet (that I found).

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I know the original poster was after a machine but I am surprised that no one has suggested using Mystcraft to create an age that contains one of the clay biomes.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
To be honest I don't think theres any system that directly gives clay at the speed of say a wood from tree farm or cobble from extruders.
Did anyone mention Xreliquary?- transmute from redstone​

As for my own tastes?
I see clay as a tier II building material, its awesome to build with- but like obsidian, XYglass/AEglass, TiC SearedStone/RC abyssal stone ect- a fair bit more expensive than wood/cobble- but possible to collect/manufacture in bulk with a fair effort.
Knowing this makes clay based builds significantly more awesome.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
As for my own tastes?
I see clay as a tier II building material, its awesome to build with- but like obsidian, XYglass/AEglass, TiC SearedStone/RC abyssal stone ect- a fair bit more expensive than wood/cobble- but possible to collect/manufacture in bulk with a fair effort.
I agree, I truly do. Anything that would manufacturer clay should definitely be on that level.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
it was mentioned on page 1, why is it still under discussion? Clay is infinite with infinite slag. Slag is infinite with infinite sand. sand is infinite with infinite cobble. Cobble is infinite with a cobble gen. All of these things can be obtained via TE.

Yeah, its a step above getting sand, stone, or cobble, but that's where it should be.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, I truly do. Anything that would manufacturer clay should definitely be on that level.
it was mentioned on page 1, why is it still under discussion? Clay is infinite with infinite slag. Slag is infinite with infinite sand. sand is infinite with infinite cobble. Cobble is infinite with a cobble gen. All of these things can be obtained via TE.

Yeah, its a step above getting sand, stone, or cobble, but that's where it should be.

Pretty much this. It's not super simple, but a handful of machines from TE can make a clay generator without much fuss.

EDIT: In general, it's possible to start with an Igneous Extruder and Aqueous Accumulator, and add enough machines to make about 12 or so different products.

Nanolathe

Jul 29, 2019
Dirt isn't infinite unless you've got a Macerator and some kind of automated farm. So You have to use multiple mods to achieve this goal. It would be nice if you could just use one.

So TE can give you everything you need to make clay, except dirt.

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you did want a machine, how would you want it to make clay?
Would water + dirt/sand + energy be good? I mean, give us some ideas.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, yeah. I'm looking at it now. :p

:)[DOUBLEPOST=1389992848][/DOUBLEPOST]
To be honest I don't think theres any system that directly gives clay at the speed of say a wood from tree farm or cobble from extruders.
Did anyone mention Xreliquary?- transmute from redstone​

As for my own tastes?

You build with Obsidian?

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
It is possible to create a TE clay generator. It is also a very slow and finicky process.

For the smallest TE clay generator, I need two pulverizers (one for sand, one for ingots), an induction furnace, and a cyclic assembler. At three seconds per Pulverizer operation, 25% chance of slag per smelt, and 1 slag per clay ball, I average one block of clay every 96 seconds. Check my napkin math on that one?
1 block = 4 clay = 4 slag = ~16 Induction Smelter operations = ~32 Pulverizer operations

On a chunk loaded server, that's an average of around 14 stacks every 24 hours, and around 4.5 days to fill a barrel. I'll need to generate dirt, and a way to limit how much dirt is supplied to the Cyclic Assembler at one time if I want to leave it for long periods. The 17 other inventory spaces of a Cyclic Assembler can hold enough dirt for around 6 hours of operation of this smallest generator, making it difficult to keep manually refilled. A hopper or item duct set-up will eventually fill all spaces with dirt. I'll need a more selective mod or a partner.

Taking that to a scale that could fill that barrel in (on average) 6 hours 50 minutes (similar to an igneous extruder producing obsidian) would require a hefty resource and power investment. I'll need those 16 Induction Smelter operations to happen every six seconds. An Induction Smelter on Dust takes one second, so that's 3 Inductions Smelters. I need to provide 32 Pulverized Iron per six seconds, meaning 16 Pulverizers working on metal. I'll need to supply 16 sand every six seconds, so 8 pulverizers making sand. To supply 16 Cobblestone every six seconds would require 6 Igneous Extruders. I will need two cyclic assemblers and an aqueous accumulator to perform the crafts. Same challenges apply to the dirt supply. I'm using 1080 rf/tick, and have a lot of materials invested in machines.

So, in conclusion, I really suggest looking elsewhere if you want to use hardened clay as a major building block in vast quantities. Magical Crops with Thaumcraft Golem automation seems like the best bet. It would be nice to see a machine that could come close.

Reactions: Museli and RedBoss

SkyBoy96

Jul 29, 2019
I know it's been stated a lot, but last map on the server I play on, I got to about 250k clay with the sludge boiler and a big range harvester after 1-2 weeks. Had to shut the thing off because it was making too much stuff, actually. It might not be the full fledged clay making machine TE style you're looking for, but it's super effective! Plus, you get dirt, sand, mycilium, tainted soil, heat sand, and a couple other things too, which can be voided if you have no interest in them

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
You build with Obsidian?

Obsidian framed XYglass
yes those gray boxes in the bottom are HP boilers.
2013-08-18_100615_zps1c98b74d.png

2013-08-18_100723_zps15f86fff.png

It is possible to create a TE clay generator. It is also a very slow and finicky process.

For the smallest TE clay generator, I need two pulverizers (one for sand, one for ingots), an induction furnace, and a cyclic assembler. At three seconds per Pulverizer operation, 25% chance of slag per smelt, and 1 slag per clay ball, I average one block of clay every 96 seconds. Check my napkin math on that one?
1 block = 4 clay = 4 slag = ~16 Induction Smelter operations = ~32 Pulverizer operations

hmmm- dedicated boilers,a lot (24) steel/diamond grade machines, rivers of lava meeting water above terrain smashers... all for a bit of clay.
I like this a lot.

(more importantly- can it run itself if I throw in some industrial electrolyzers?)

Last edited:

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
The issue with the Sludge Boiler is you have to use the MFR harvester. That's great if you're using it anyway. If not, you're either voiding a bunch of stuff or changing your build plans to use it. That's why clay as a primary product is desired.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Museli

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I've been playing with the MineTweaker, and it's possible to add in a recipe into some existing machines. I'm thinking the Forestry Fabricator would be a good choice.