Machine Request: Clay Maker

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I demand it would be called the Claymore mod, if it were to become a minimod.

LUlqAn9.jpg

also, it's not a reliable source of clay, but Biome's o Plenty adds a biome which basically is made out of clay/hardened clay, but ofcourse you'll need to find this biome first...
I guess there isn't really a way to mass-produce clay because you don't really need it in that large quantities... the mods that use clay, only need a little bit of it, and let's be honest, there's much more aesthetic choices nowadays besides bricks...

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I think because there's this new colored clay blocks in 1.7 or 1.8?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I think because there's this new colored clay blocks in 1.7 or 1.8?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk
Hardened & stained clay was introduced in 1.6. It's the main reason I wanted to update to this version of Minecraft. ;)

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
After poking around with it for a bit, I think the best options for Clay production before UUM is Magic Crops. It doesn't take a lot of the ore to get the Water and Earth seeds, which can produce crazy amounts of clay very easily. Moving more mid-game, it can be automated with golems and the shaped autocrafting of your choice.

Not exactly ideal. I agree that an alternate method would be preferable. IMO, adding a Sand + Cobble = Slag recipe to the Induction Smelter would make for a very interesting clay production chain. This would also allow for reliable mass production of florbs and rockwool.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Considering you options out there, I'd go with bees. The earthen and solum bees can produce quite a bit of clay if you do it right.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
(Xeno's) Reliquary lets you turn one block of clay into three blocks, by crafting it together with the Tome of Alkahest and a piece of redstone dust. Unless your version is bugged and you forgot to verify if that's indeed a bug from the mod or weird cross-mod interaction, like me.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Tome of Alkahest in a modpack enviroment frequently leads to duplication chains for free resources.

Finding a Badlands is the RNG that is specifically stated to not be acceptable. Also, some of us turn Badlands off, or don't use BoP at all.

Reactions: RedBoss

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Finding a Badlands is the RNG that is specifically stated to not be acceptable. Also, some of us turn Badlands off, or don't use BoP at all.

The OP requests a mod to be made to make unlimited clay and badlands isn't acceptable?

o_O

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
The OP requests a mod to be made to make unlimited clay and badlands isn't acceptable?

o_O
They want some sort of machine that can be built to produce Clay quickly. I can understand not wanting to rely on lucking into a Badlands. I traveled 3,000 blocks in each direction from spawn without finding one last time I played a full BoP world. ATG makes them more infrequent. He's looking for reliability. Badlands are not reliable. After testing it, neither is setting up a loop pulverizing ingots into dust and induction furnace smelting them with sand. You'll get lots of clay eventually, but it's on such a long time-scale that you're better off digging it off the sea floor by hand.

Reactions: RedBoss

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Honestly, the MFR Sludge boiler produces so much clay, that's more then sufficient. I had one tree farm up and running to get started on charcoal production, filled a barrel within 2 days, just from one farm. Multiple farms, chunkload, and you'll be drowning in Clay everytime you log on (if on a server and chunkloaded).

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, the MFR Sludge boiler produces so much clay, that's more then sufficient. I had one tree farm up and running to get started on charcoal production, filled a barrel within 2 days, just from one farm. Multiple farms, chunkload, and you'll be drowning in Clay everytime you log on (if on a server and chunkloaded).
It would still be nice if there were a way to produce Clay as the intended product rather than a by-product. More options in a sandbox game where you define the option set is not a bad thing.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Hmm, well Minetweaker could be used to make a crafting recipe, that would need to consist of around 5 dirt blocks, 1 water bucket, 1 pulved iron, 1 wheat/reed & 1 sand.

For a more truer process, you'd need a machine that takes in resources consisting of metals, dirt, water, acid, organic matter, and mixes it all up for a long time (say about 5 seconds in minecraft terms...)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
A process, be it magical or technological, that has clay, clay blocks, or hardened clay as its primary output is what I'm looking for. I made it an open request as an add on to an existing mod because it doesn't make much sense to me for this process to be a dedicated mod.

A lot of the alternatives produce clay. I truly grasp that. None of them are primary sources of clay. They also take time to accumulate which is not as palatable in the face of other means of generating blocks of stone or wood. In SSP you can get a full barrel of cobble, logs, or stone in one play session. That's the type of output that I'd like to see for a clay machine or process.

Lots of mods solve vanilla problems in many ways. In vanilla, the only way to get lots of trees is to plant and manually chop them down. There's tree farms in mods for that. In vanilla the only way to get a lot of clay is to spend hours digging underwater or to get lucky and find a Mesa biome. That's still hours of work and the same problem exists in mods.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I could picture Aidan Brady adding a recipe to mekansim, he has a bunch of various machine's that actually deal with gasses; maybe something like oxidize soddy dirt or something?

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I could picture Aidan Brady adding a recipe to mekansim, he has a bunch of various machine's that actually deal with gasses; maybe something like oxidize soddy dirt or something?
I was going to suggest Mekanism at one point, but didn't want to fanboi all over the thread. :)

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
We should go bug Direwolf20. He seemed to like Mekanism whilst reviewing it. Though I doubt he's checked it out in a year.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf doesn't really like much new... project red was even a big deal for him and there wasn't even a learning curve :p. I do agree that mekanism is a fantastic mod, maybe in 1.7. Aidan doesn't look like he's slowing down and balance is actually fairly well done and there are some really cool unique features.