Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Why would I use AC engines if I have a microturbine?

But anyways, good to know. But it wasn't like that before when I tested all the stuff in the mod.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Why would I use AC engines if I have a microturbine?
Because you don't have enough jet fuel to run everything on it? Because there are setups where you don't need 2MW power? Because the AC engine outputs a higher torque?

Reactions: Padfoote

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Mod interation is also messed up - I tried to feed sprinklers with TE ducts and that doesn't work.
Regarding the whole magnetostatic engine thing, I guess people used it a lot because RF is way more convenient than shaft power in RC.

Sprinklers are AoE and the range is determined by pressure generated in RoC liquid pipes by a pump powered by shaft power. It's special functionality specific to those items so you wouldn't expect other mods to work with it. Most RoC/ReC things are perfectly happy to accept water from other mods transfer pipes though.

Reactions: Padfoote

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Because you don't have enough jet fuel to run everything on it? Because there are setups where you don't need 2MW power? Because the AC engine outputs a higher torque?
1) Then why would I use my jet fuel to magnetize cores, and not to make more jet fuel?
2) Engines can be throttled down, aren't they? And AFAIR that should even improve their efficiency.
3) Gearboxes?
And because it's cheaper???
If that matters, why would I put that much effort to make a microturbine and jet fuel stuff to power AC engines? I don't get the concept of using high-tier engine to maintain a lower-tier one.[DOUBLEPOST=1407845689][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sprinklers are AoE and the range is determined by pressure generated in RoC liquid pipes by a pump powered by shaft power. It's special functionality specific to those items so you wouldn't expect other mods to work with it. Most RoC/ReC things are perfectly happy to accept water from other mods transfer pipes though.
Got it. RC pipes are so ugly, though :/

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
1) Then why would I use my jet fuel to magnetize cores, and not to make more jet fuel?
2) Engines can be throttled down, aren't they? And AFAIR that should even improve their efficiency.
3) Gearboxes?

If that matters, why would I put that much effort to make a microturbine and jet fuel stuff to power AC engines? I don't get the concept of using high-tier engine to maintain a lower-tier one.[DOUBLEPOST=1407845689][/DOUBLEPOST]
Got it. RC pipes are so ugly, though :/
The problem with jet fuel is the resources you need to make it. Of course, if you're using Magical Crops to make everything renewable, that might not matter, but some of the resources are not so easy to get in quantities otherwise. Which means that yes, there is a reason to use lower-tier engines for some tasks and use the higher-tier engines to maintain them. Two minutes on a microturbine to magnetize a stack of shaft cores uses up a negligible amount of jet fuel, compared to running the target task on jet fuel, even with engines throttled to 25%, and those 64 shaft cores will last you a very long time in an AC engine.

Regarding gearboxes, of course I use them, but I'd rather not have to.

Reactions: Pyure

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe you are right, but it still sounds meh to me. Why not use an AC engine with a bunch of g-boxes to magnetize the cores then? Use p-engine to magnetize first bunch of cores and then replace it with an AC engine. Yeah, you'll use some ethanol and redstones, but those are easier to get than the jet fuel.

BTW, what do you guys use jets for?

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Naw, I'm just a little pony with wings. *flaps his wings to prove that*

Anyways, seriously, do you use jet fuel/engines for something? Because it seems like it's easier to produce power by something else...
I play with a friend on his server. We are using a slightly modified Monster pack (-MystCraft +Dimensional Doors) and I wanted to use jet fuel for power, but it's kinda... too much effort - we have automated blazes, slimes and ethanol, but not n-rack and s-sand. I set up a borer in Nether, but there's way more N-rack than S-sand in the Nether and if I leave it running for a while, our AE will be overwhelmed. Plus I need to automate grinders to grind that and that's not very convenient to do either - need a start/stop mechanism for gas engines and some clever ethanol supply so they won't eat all the ethanol we have, so IDK. That's what I mean by "inconvenient"

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Jet fuel, I use to power the microturbines that run the uranium processing plant I use to run my fission reactor.

On previous worlds I've used it to run rows of gas turbines for other epic purposes.

As for making soul sand and netherrack you can do it all with magical crops. LOTS of nether essence :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

Anyways, seriously, do you use jet fuel/engines for something? Because it seems like it's easier to produce power by something else...
I play with a friend on his server. We are using a slightly modified Monster pack (-MystCraft +Dimensional Doors) and I wanted to use jet fuel for power, but it's kinda... too much effort - we have automated blazes, slimes and ethanol, but not n-rack and s-sand. I set up a borer in Nether, but there's way more N-rack than S-sand in the Nether and if I leave it running for a while, our AE will be overwhelmed. Plus I need to automate grinders to grind that and that's not very convenient to do either - need a start/stop mechanism for gas engines and some clever ethanol supply so they won't eat all the ethanol we have, so IDK. That's what I mean by "inconvenient"
Gas turbines are excellent for any high power requirement. They're good for bedrock breakers, extractors, etc. They're your engine of choice until you have nuclear power as far as I'm concerned.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
We decided to not use that mod at all...
Currently we produce some of that stuff by a sludge boiler, but that's not enough at all.
You might be surprised. Each iteration of the fuel creation process only has a chance to use up some of the ingredients. So a couple of stacks of each will last you for quite a while.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
My last world used jet fuel power for:
*Ore processing with an extractor. The insane speed makes up for the expense.
*Uranium enrichment. Because Microturbines are almost built for powering centrifuges.
*Jet fuel production. Try it. Given enough resources, you'll produce the stuff in kilobuckets per minute. I had to use fluid import buses to get the jet fuel out of the fractionizer because nothing else was fast enough.
Having said that, none of those processes were continuously running. The extractor, if powered by a gas turbine, processes ores so fast that it would have 98% downtime if I kept it running, and it's more space-efficient to store the ores in your ME network until you need the next batch of 10k ingots to be produced. Uranium enrichment I needed as a temporary step to the fusion reactor, and if I built a fission reactor I'd make a HTGR which doesn't need uranium enrichment, and jet fuel production - well, if you make 1 KB per minute it makes no sense to keep it running.

BTW, you can get renewable soul sand from Magical Crops, and to grind netherrack and soul sand at insane speeds use 8MW of power at the minimum necessary torque.

Edit:
As for the quantities: one stack of each raw material creates about 350 buckets of jet fuel on average. I don't have the numbers, but IIRC it might be possible to process 5k ores into 25k ingots with that. Or even more. I only recall that I was continuously surprised by the efficiency of jet fuel power.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My last world used jet fuel power for:
*Uranium enrichment. Because Microturbines are almost built for powering centrifuges.
+5

BTW, you can get renewable soul sand from Magical Crops, and to grind netherrack and soul sand at insane speeds use 8MW of power at the minimum necessary torque.
OP PonyKuu just mentioned 3 posts ago he's not using that mod :)